Stripping and repainting corner beads

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

fernicarry

Stripping and repainting corner beads

Post by fernicarry » Mon 22nd Feb, 2021 9:43 pm

I've been stripping the window recess in the master bedroom back to bare wood over the last few weeks. I'm sure the sheer tedium of this will be familiar to many.

How jobs grow to fill the time (not) available. This started out as just painting the outside of the windows at the end of last summer, progressed to painting all of the internal woodwork but I couldn't really stomach painting over so many other badly applied coats so stripping the lot. I then decided to have a look under the floor to try to work out why there was a step in the floor level just before the window, found the joist ends had all dropped by a rather alarming amount due to being barely connected to the lintel spanning the bay below so I've had to sister all of them and reattach them with hangers. That'll explain the big crack in the downstairs ceiling too. And for good measure since I've got part of the floor up I'm rewiring this room and adding a slightly more 21st century quantity of sockets not to mention removing several editions of the Daily Record (April 1988) from around the two (yes, for the whole room, both on the same wall) existing sockets. Also with the floor up it would be rude not to move the radiator too and reclaim some useful wall space. Then there's also the significantly larger than usual damp patch where the fireplace used to be after the utter soaking we got over the weekend. Someone should do something about that. The only silver lining being discovering quite a lot of very heavy lead sheathed cable under the floor which might make the job a little less cash intensive.

Anyway, back to the woodwork. The planted mouldings on what used to be the window shutters (now nailed in place, daren't try to free them up), have a corner bead at the thin end, one that curves all the way round and disappears under the moulding, if that makes sense. How should one finish this off? Obviously they were previously completely clogged with paint so it just looked like a right angled corner. I'd like to leave it with the curve disappearing into the shadow if possible but suspect its going to get clogged up again in places and look a bit rubbish.

The skirting mouldings are the same, corner bead at the top meeting the wall and corner bead at the bottom meeting the base board. The top one was filled with plaster and caulking squaring it off against the wall, the bottom one filled with paint. Should I try to keep both clear or is the edge of the bead intended to be filled to hide the join? Making those beads can't have been all that easy 150 years ago so I can't believe you are supposed to hide them away.

Feltwell

Re: Stripping and repainting corner beads

Post by Feltwell » Mon 22nd Feb, 2021 11:33 pm

The whole "can of worms" scenario sounds familiar, as I'm sure it will to many others. Could do with some pictures though to envisage what you mean with the beads.

By the way, why not free up the shutters? I wouldn't be able to resist doing that.

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Tue 23rd Feb, 2021 9:56 am

Feltwell wrote:
Mon 22nd Feb, 2021 11:33 pm

By the way, why not free up the shutters? I wouldn't be able to resist doing that.
Same here. Any blocked up window or doorway, any device that is meant to work, any useless brass fitting that is stuck or has been painted over, I have to waste an inordinate amount of time making it work again.

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Tue 23rd Feb, 2021 10:24 am

Feltwell wrote:
Mon 22nd Feb, 2021 11:33 pm
A third vote for the shutters from me.

We have the original shutters in three rooms and love them.
They work well to keep drafts in abeyance, fit the room aesthetics well and add a significant level of security to the windows. (You could sneeze through the original window / glass.)

For the original question a photo will help.
I appreciate the dilemma and I always struggle on how / where to end details and paint lines etc. I have learnt to leave such important tasks to the design director, I just paint what, where and which color I am told.

So far we have a mix of paint styles; The kitchen we got rid of the skirting. The last room the walls, picture rail and ceiling are all the same color (dark navy) with the skirting / door / windows a different color (gray). The room we are doing now the wall and skirting are the same color (Lichen) and the window and trim (including servants hatch, window seat and built in cupboard) are all just bare wood. I am sure none of it is as it was done when the house was built but we think the look matches the house well, "semi-period with a modern influence".

Cheers,
Richard B.

fernicarry

Post by fernicarry » Wed 24th Feb, 2021 8:33 pm

The thin end of this moulding is what I have.

https://www.thevictorianemporium.com/st ... gLeNPD_BwE

My internal doors have almost exactly the same profile around the panels as the shutters so I thought it must be quite common.

The shutters, maybe one day... I'd just like to finish something for a change... I think tbh they would need a lot of work being a bit rotten round the edges where they meet the window frame. I now understand why after the driving rain over the last few weeks, water is getting forced in and running down the back of them. Before I stripped the paint the damp patches that have appeared probably wouldn't have been visible. The pointing around that window is pretty poor and the mastic is totally shot. I absolutely have to do something about that this summer (and yes, I posted about that pointing last summer...).

Do shutters close into a box? There's quite a howling gale coming through all the gaps in the woodwork including around the shutters so I'm quite keen to caulk everything up and get it as air tight as possible. Might not be so bad with the external mastic fixed but the void between the plaster and the inside face of the stone is always pretty well ventilated. By design I think.

Extracted some seriously well nibbled electrical cable from under the floor today. Right down to the copper. Its Mouse City under there thanks to all the wood shavings and other debris that tradesmen have left under the floor. There were 4 nests in a row along the same radiator pipe run, one between each pair of joists. The cat has had a scout around under the floor but is currently curled up in front of the Aga. Just can't get the staff.

a twig

Post by a twig » Fri 26th Feb, 2021 8:36 pm

This is my issue, wife wants a cat.

I say fine, as long as it’s a farm cat, a good mouser etc, but she wants one to sit on her lap in front of the fire, I promptly veto that and that’s the end of it for all of a fortnight until we go round the loop again...