The worst bodge

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Easrow

Re: The worst bodge

Post by Easrow » Thu 28th Jun, 2018 1:18 pm

We too have had out fair share. One that springs to mind is the cooker cable that ran along the landing under the floorboards. We were rewiring and tried pulling it though. It would not budge at all. So we lifted more carpet and found a note written on the floorboard..."cable nailed here!" We thought surely they don't mean right through it...they did! The cable was nailed and they knew about it. It was in use until that day too.
Another one was the leaky roof we had to temporarily bodge ourselves (yes it's sorted now) It obviously had a leak before so was bodged under the tiles with shed felt and a rubber car mat witch had perished so much it was sticky.
There are other and more to come I'm sure but I haven't got all day.

Owain

Post by Owain » Thu 28th Jun, 2018 9:23 pm

Zebra wrote:
Thu 3rd May, 2012 10:32 pm
For me I think it's just rainwater disposal methods that send the water into gullies in the ground that go nowhere, right next to the house.
Neighbour found their bath did something similar, into the floor void under the bathroom.

paulc

Post by paulc » Thu 28th Jun, 2018 9:49 pm

Had a local window company come and fit a new external door and replace the fascia boards arond the garage (a flat roof with a step up two thirds of the way along). Felt cut away on the step to allow the board to go all the way in - Left a nice big hole that you could see daylight through. Peeled back the felt at either end to get the boards up behind the overhanging lip. Stuffed a brick under the downpipe to lift it up high enough to connect with the guttering....

First time we had strong winds, it got under the felt and ripped half of it up (less than a week after they had done the "work"). Some very choice and stiff words to the company involved, and they sent some 'erbert over. Nailed the felt down with a mix of clouts and filled the gaps with silicone sealant despite being told it was an unacceptable method of repair. If I had been around at the time, I'd have given him a flea in his ear and shot the horse.

steveb

Post by steveb » Thu 28th Jun, 2018 10:05 pm

previous owner had the uPVC fitters in to replace the sashes. They seemed to make the windows the same size as the external opening , so about a 6 inch gap on each side where the frame and sash boxes used to be.

The "solution" was to fit plastic cover strips over the gap, except these aren't available 6 inches wide. So they fitted three of them , two side by side at the back to cover the hole and then one over the middle of the joint to make a feature of it. Would have been more efficient to put doors on and used them as cupboards

steveb

Post by steveb » Wed 1st Aug, 2018 1:27 pm

This is intriguing.
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-01 at 11.01.02.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-01 at 11.01.02.jpeg (86.1 KiB) Viewed 637 times
so buried unprotected directly in the screed (and hence corroded through) are the copper heating pipes

Outside the screed and under what was a nailed and glued wooden floor are corrosion proof plastic pipes. plus a couple of extra fittings where it wasn't planned properly. And a drain cock.

I applaud the principle of putting a drain cock at the lowest point in the system, but surely "lowest accessible point" would be better...?

--edit-- also got some uphill drainage from a shower waste too

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Wed 1st Aug, 2018 2:11 pm

That does seem inventive Steve.

Bodging is good sometimes. I pulled a window out this morning which had been fitted in 1996 judging by the newspaper used as filler. The inch thick glob of concrete between the window and brickwork hadn't stuck to anything and just fell off with the window. I expected more work. I get an afternoon off!

Cubist

Post by Cubist » Wed 1st Aug, 2018 8:49 pm

worms wrote:
Sun 6th May, 2012 9:49 am
philpjuk100 wrote:
robgil wrote:My whole house is a bodge , I am seeing bodging dating back to the late 1500's. We might have to change it's name to ''Bodgeme Cottage''
But it is still standing from a time with no building regs,no building inspectors,no government training schemes,no foundations,no HIP packs (sorry had to post the last one as I paid £600 for one on a house that has yet to sell!) They did`nt do bad for "yokels" did they?
And who amongst can say, hand-on-heart, that there are not some of our own bodges lying in wait for a future purchaser? You know, these need-a-quick-repair-tonight-in-a-howling-gale, I'll-do-it-properly-come-summer, a-blind-man-on-a-fast-horse-would-never-notice type of jobs?

Or is it just me? :(
Nah.

noj

Post by noj » Wed 24th Oct, 2018 9:31 am

It's the logic behind the bodges that defies me.

In our small kitchen there's a row of a sink, dishwasher and washing machine. There's a plastic waste pipe for the sink that goes out through the wall, then there's the waste for the two appliances...
kitchen.jpg
kitchen.jpg (77.24 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Kitchen
waste1.jpg
waste1.jpg (135.75 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Outside
waste2.jpg
waste2.jpg (133.19 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Maybe the waste hose on the washing machine was a bit short so the easiest route was to add new pipe and trap, smash a hole through a 300 year old, three plank door that you don't use (picking the point that there's moulding too) and job's done?

And on the inside, why not add some fiber-board and some leftover tiles to finish the project.

I do wonder how it was described on the LBC application, you wouldn't do something like that without consent would you?

noj

Post by noj » Wed 24th Oct, 2018 9:35 am

The inside of the door - exceeded my attachment limit on the previous post
waste3.jpg
waste3.jpg (59.3 KiB) Viewed 575 times
Not enough tiles to even reach the level of the work surface

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Wed 24th Oct, 2018 11:53 am

Some people are just lazy b@rstads!

Not quite so dramatic, but here whoever fitted the gas supply thought the best way to get it from the external meter into the house would be to run it along the external wall, smash one of the small panes out of our cellar window, and run it through there - bodging a bit of Perspex back around the pipe with a about half a tube of silicone to badly seal the hole in the window. :roll: Every time it rained water ran along the pipe and into the cellar.

Daft thing is, directly through the wall behind the gas meter box, is an easily accessible service void that water pipes run through - that also borders onto the cellar wall. So pretty easy to go through the wall behind the meter box, across the service void and through the cellar wall - which is exactly how the gas pipe is now routed. All for the sake of drilling two holes.

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Sat 27th Oct, 2018 2:21 pm

MdB wrote:
Fri 4th May, 2012 8:27 pm
.......[*]Main "A" frames supporting the roof only having 50x75mm cross pieces to stop spreading...........
You've got an absolute catalogue of nightmares there, but this isn't necessarily one of them. A tie beam is in tension: you could do the same job with a piece of fencing wire*. Obviously, one would need to see the particular case to be able to comment directly.

*There is a famous cathedral in Venice which uses chains, hidden inside wooden boxes. The span must be 15 to 20 metres, from memory.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Wed 16th Dec, 2020 7:32 pm

A regrettable need to drag an old post back up....

What do you do if you want to fit a shower tray but the waste fouls a floor joist? Why, you cut away the top two thirds of the joist of course! Problem solved!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

(Guess what Feltwell has been taking apart?)

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Wed 23rd Dec, 2020 3:24 pm

Actually Feltwell, I had pretty much the same in my bathroom here, now 10 years ago.

There are 7" x 2" joists in the floor, and when I lifted the boards I found that at one time the loo must have been installed a foot to one side. To use the same hole in the wall for the foul waste pipe, someone had cut a nice 30" notch in one joist, to a depth of 5.5"! I repaired this by adding a 4' length of 6" joist with a huge number of screws at either end. The sad thing is that the next person to lift the floor will probably blame me for the notch!

Is it really ten years ago that I removed the hall ceiling plasterboard and sat on those joists with my feet through, wondering if I was ever going to get it all back together?

Matthew

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Mon 28th Dec, 2020 9:03 pm

More bathroom bodges found today, to go with the cut away floor joist -

Wallpaper on the wall you want to tile? No need to waste time stripping the paper off, just tile over it!

Water damage & timber rot from old leaky bath that you've found when putting your new shower enclosure in? No need to fix those, just shove in lots of no more nails!

Big hole under the floor where heating pipes go into another room? Bubble wrap makes a great filler, just stuff it in!

Knackered lath & plaster wall? Just dot and dab plasterboard over it, no need to worry that what you're sticking it to isn't secure. Just use ordinary cheapo plasterboard despite the fact that it's a shower cubicle, by the time it leaks and turns to mush behind the tiles you'll be long gone!

Old doorway to cover over? No need for any extra noggins, just stick plasterboard straight over the old frame with no more nails!

Shower power cable boring you by running in straight lines? Take it up the wall straight then veer off at a jaunty 45 degree angle for no apparent reason!

Putting a water feed pipe for the shower into the plasterwork? No need to protect it and whilst you're at it, put a nice badly soldered joint in that can leak in years to come.

There's nothing catastrophic here but it just goes to show the level of care that Butch & Sundance put in when they fitted this bathroom out :roll: . Needless to say it's getting the full "strip it all out and start again" treatment now, with the best waterproof system I can find to build the new shower cubicle up with.

If anyone is doing the same the "Skillbuilder" channel on Youtube is worth a look - some good tips in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J19y7nGHM3c

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Tue 29th Dec, 2020 3:56 pm

OK, you win. :lol: