Cheer of the Day!

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Abi Cott

Re: Cheer of the Day!

Post by Abi Cott » Sun 9th Apr, 2017 11:16 am

Its taken 7 months, but I finally have a mortgage offer on my first listed building. :D

Now I just have to get the place renovated :shock:

Penners

Post by Penners » Sun 9th Apr, 2017 12:12 pm

Jolly good, Abi!

After the fight to get a mortgage, I'm sure the renovation will be quick and trouble-free. :wink:

If it is, you'll be the first member of this forum to achieve that!!

Do keep us up-to-date with progress.

JoceAndChris

Post by JoceAndChris » Sun 16th Apr, 2017 9:02 pm

Oh, good luck Abi. That's exciting news!

I got a bath in my new tub!! My first bath in months!!

:D

88v8

Post by 88v8 » Mon 17th Apr, 2017 9:21 am

Is your cat teetotal? Or is it baths in general of which he disapproves?

Ivor

Penners

Post by Penners » Mon 17th Apr, 2017 9:56 am

I'm off right now to tell Mrs P that I've just seen a photo of Joce in the bath!!

JoceAndChris

Post by JoceAndChris » Mon 17th Apr, 2017 8:10 pm

:lol:

Horatio approves of champagne, in general, but thinks immersing oneself in water highly dangerous!

DJH

Post by DJH » Mon 1st May, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm saying nothing to Mrs DJH Penners...she might stop me from using PPUK. :shock:

Anyway, cheer of the day is that after planting her wisteria about six or seven years ago she has her first flower on it's way... :D :D

2017-05-01 15.43.22.jpg
2017-05-01 15.43.22.jpg (212.45 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
Doug

Maddie-Rose

Post by Maddie-Rose » Mon 1st May, 2017 6:36 pm

malcolm wrote:
Wed 26th Aug, 2015 6:24 pm
I've (almost) finished the wood store. :D It was built this week in the rain as I can't do my rendering in wet weather and I I'm trying to put off insulating the loft. I just need another wet day to fill it with wood (tomorrow is looking good).

Malcolm that's fab 👍👍

Penners

Post by Penners » Mon 1st May, 2017 6:40 pm

DJH wrote:
Mon 1st May, 2017 6:15 pm
after planting her wisteria about six or seven years ago she has her first flower on it's way
Snap, Doug!

Our wisteria has been lounging around contributing nothing to the garden but leaves for about six years. This year it has at last got a few flowers on it!

DJH

Post by DJH » Mon 1st May, 2017 7:35 pm

I'm told by herself that a newly planted wisteria takes about seven years to blossom. She also says pear trees take about the same time to bear fruit and ours looks like it might well have a big crop this year. They say that you plant a pear for an heir... :?:

Doug

Hobden

Post by Hobden » Tue 2nd May, 2017 9:32 pm

DJH wrote:
Mon 1st May, 2017 7:35 pm
They say that you plant a pear for an heir... :?:
I don't know about pears, but you do with a mulberry!

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Tue 2nd May, 2017 10:29 pm

Hobden wrote:
Tue 2nd May, 2017 9:32 pm
DJH wrote:
Mon 1st May, 2017 7:35 pm
They say that you plant a pear for an heir... :?:
I don't know about pears, but you do with a mulberry!
You could raise some silk worms, but with one mulberry it might take a very long time to get enough to darn your stockings :lol:

JoceAndChris

Post by JoceAndChris » Fri 5th May, 2017 4:19 am

Gosh I didn't know that about pear trees! I have 6 years to wait! :lol: How lovely about the wisteria Mr P and Doug. I'm a fan. They have quintessential period property charm!

My cheer of the day is my new petrol mower arrived and I am, for the first time, at the stage in our project where I can spend some time on the lawns getting weed free and neatly rollered stripes!I have woken up worrying about it though! It's a big beast of a thing and was £1000 and I just killed our ride on by repeated encounters with tree stumps. Chris says if I crash this one I'm going to be in BIG trouble. There's no variable speed on this mower and I'm worrying about how quickly it drags you along and how quickly the shrubs on the edges come up - we have a big but lozenge shaped garden so I will need to make eleventy billion short turns for my stripes to run vertically from the property as horizontal stripes would be plain wrong.

Oh dear I don't know if this is a cheer or a grump :roll:

a twig

Post by a twig » Fri 5th May, 2017 9:09 pm

It's just a matter of adjustment, I bought my Dad a new mover for his birthday, one of the Hayter professional jobs without speed control.

The first time he used it, it shot off and he looked like something from Looney Tunes, legs windmilling with his body at a 45 degree angle as he tried to catch up. By the 3rd stripe he had it nailed, and now he whips through the weekly mowing in half the time that he used to. He's pushing 70, so should be a piece of cake for you :)

88v8

Post by 88v8 » Sat 6th May, 2017 9:55 am

JoceAndChris wrote:
Fri 5th May, 2017 4:19 am
There's no variable speed on this mower
I wonder what evil b***d in a marketing dept decided that an essential feature should become an optional extra. I bought a newish Hayter six years ago, it was a push mower but the pointless high speed of the engine soon got on my wick, along with the silly dead man's handle (that at least I was able to eliminate) and after a few weeks it was resold.

We still have our 1984 Mountfield. Push petrol rotary. Can use one hand to lift up shrubs around the lawn edge while pushing the mower beneath, nose under plants and trees and into corners 'n back out. Variable engine speed, most of the cutting is done just above idle.

We previously had a powered mower, an Atco. Fine for big square unimpeded lawns, but even with variable speed it was a chore to prevent it from charging off into the borders.

Was reading a chicken feature in the dentist's the other day. It was said that some breeds like grass but will leave the borders alone. And unlike the mower, if a chicken becomes disfunctional one can eat it.

Ivor