Cheer of the Day!

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

JoceAndChris

Re: Cheer of the Day!

Post by JoceAndChris » Sat 6th May, 2017 10:01 am

:lol: Ivor and a twig, I'll reply in the lawn mower thread I made, I didn't mean to take over two threads with tales of mowers :oops:

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Sun 7th May, 2017 7:05 pm

Talking of mowers, I went to the shed to get my mower out this afternoon and was reminded of the honey bee colony that recently took up residence in the shed wall beside the door. Fortunately there is a plastic lining in the wall so the bees don't come inside. I have resolved not to open the door as it would make the wall move around and disturb them. The mower had to come through the house.

I'm doing well for bees at the moment. The solitary bees are multiplying again this year. The masonry bees in the chimney are alive and well. They are a friendly bunch and I was careful to leave their entrances open while I was re-pointing. Then without thinking put hessian over the new pointing and they didn't come back for the rest of that year. They are as stupid as me - around fifty of them came down the chimney on their first day, got out of the wood burner and had to be rescued. A cover to keep the light out of the wood burner seems to have done the trick.

It was sunny today and I had a nice day in the garden. I got rid of the bramble and it's roots (I'm sure it will be back) and I'm having a birds and bees moment. Robin and the little birds are still nesting in the garden, but I think the poorly located blackbird nest may have been relocated due to stocky ginger cat. Pigeon nest fell out of the willow. I don't understand how those things can breed.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Sun 7th May, 2017 8:25 pm

I'm cheerful because my neighbour didn't die! I'm no great lover of the nanny state and overbearing 'elf n safety, but really this seems a tad unwise, and stopped me properly enjoying my cornflakes!

Hobden

Post by Hobden » Sun 7th May, 2017 9:33 pm

malcolm wrote:
Sun 7th May, 2017 7:05 pm
I got rid of the bramble and it's roots (I'm sure it will be back)
Bramble? Singular? If only ... we've just moved into a house with a two acre garden and one acre of that is brambles. I've been cutting and pulling for the last two weeks and I'm seeing them in my sleep!

Hobden

Post by Hobden » Sun 7th May, 2017 9:35 pm

LadyArowana wrote:
Sun 7th May, 2017 8:25 pm
I'm cheerful because my neighbour didn't die! I'm no great lover of the nanny state and overbearing 'elf n safety, but really this seems a tad unwise, and stopped me properly enjoying my cornflakes!
A fine line between bravery and recklessness - and I'm not sure which side of the line he's on! I think long and hard before going up a ladder ...

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sun 7th May, 2017 11:43 pm

Hobden wrote:
Sun 7th May, 2017 9:35 pm
A fine line between bravery and recklessness - and I'm not sure which side of the line he's on!
In fairness to him it was go out there or risk getting caught by the husband.......

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Mon 8th May, 2017 6:29 am

Feltwell wrote:
Sun 7th May, 2017 11:43 pm
Hobden wrote:
Sun 7th May, 2017 9:35 pm
A fine line between bravery and recklessness - and I'm not sure which side of the line he's on!
In fairness to him it was go out there or risk getting caught by the husband.......
Ooooooh I wonder how much it's worth for the photos?

88v8

Post by 88v8 » Mon 8th May, 2017 10:37 am

Hobden wrote:
Sun 7th May, 2017 9:33 pm
malcolm wrote:
Sun 7th May, 2017 7:05 pm
I got rid of the bramble and it's roots (I'm sure it will be back)
Bramble? Singular? If only ... we've just moved into a house with a two acre garden and one acre of that is brambles. I've been cutting and pulling for the last two weeks and I'm seeing them in my sleep!
SBK Brushkiiler is effective against brambles. Or was, provided the 'safety' crackpots haven't got at it.
https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/amateur- ... er-1l.html

Ivor

Hobden

Post by Hobden » Wed 10th May, 2017 12:01 am

88v8 wrote:
Mon 8th May, 2017 10:37 am
SBK Brushkiiler is effective against brambles. Or was, provided the 'safety' crackpots haven't got at it.
https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/amateur- ... er-1l.html
Thanks for that. We had hoped to be green and avoid chemicals, but if repeated cutting and digging doesn't do the trick then we may have to go nuclear!

JoceAndChris

Post by JoceAndChris » Wed 10th May, 2017 7:36 am

Wow 2 acres Hobden! I feel your pain! We have four with much of that being a field - still haven't reached all the brambles yet, after 9 years!!

But, the best thing we've found for them is the Stihl petrol strimmer retailing at about £750. I love it and use it every week - the thick brambles in front of our haha at the front and the verges are all now lush, lovely grass. Fabulous tool and much nicer to use than chemicals. Seriously recommend. Did not like the Stihl combi system at all where one engine supplies several attachments, you need a beefy designated strimmer with the proper handles.

Joce x

88v8

Post by 88v8 » Wed 10th May, 2017 9:16 am

We have a lot of brambles. So many that we no longer need to forage the nearby fields. In the freezers we have a lot of blackberries. And in the cellar we have some blackberry vodka on the go.
Their territorial aspirations do have to be curbed.
It's a matter of balance.
We also have grass. But one cannot eat grass.
Soon I shall be watering the brambles to aid the plumping of this year's crop.

Ivor

JoceAndChris

Post by JoceAndChris » Thu 11th May, 2017 2:17 am

They are so delicious I agree. Last year I made blackberry sorbet and to go with it blackberries pickled in St Germain, the sweet vanilla liqueur. A great easy dessert to have in store for winter months!

Hobden

Post by Hobden » Sun 14th May, 2017 10:07 pm

JoceAndChris wrote:
Wed 10th May, 2017 7:36 am
But, the best thing we've found for them is the Stihl petrol strimmer retailing at about £750.
I use a (Stihl) long-reach hedge-trimmer that has a cranked end - ideal for taking the little so-and-sos off at ground-level. Only problem is, last time I yanked the starter cord - it snapped. Now I have to fix that :( About half an acre still to go, though the stuff I cut first is now regrowing! Many iterations required I imagine ...

Hobden

Post by Hobden » Sun 14th May, 2017 10:11 pm

88v8 wrote:
Wed 10th May, 2017 9:16 am
Their territorial aspirations do have to be curbed. It's a matter of balance.
Indeed. I shall probably leave some near the boundaries as a sort of wild hedge, for the birds and flutterbys. And indeed Mrs H who likes to gather blackberries in the autumn to make things. Me, I just eat 'em "on the hoof" :)

JoceAndChris

Post by JoceAndChris » Tue 16th May, 2017 6:27 pm

Sounds good Hobden! You have a job for life there for sure!

My cheer is I just bought the 7x5 Hargrave with verandah which is a property I've wanted for my girls for many years!! Shares were sold to fund it! :lol:

http://www.hen-house.co.uk/html/hargrave.html

It's going to be adorable in my orchard. I just need to get them some gingham curtains and hanging baskets of geraniums next!