New Grump of the Day

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

MatthewC

New Grump of the Day

Post by MatthewC » Mon 20th Jun, 2016 9:45 am

It's raining AGAIN so I can't get on with my next sash window, nor do any other job which requires me to work outside (like knock up some lime plaster).

And just to include a second grump on the same post, some little t**t on Saturday night threw a stone at my (new) car and made a mark on a door. I never saw anyone but there was no other traffic and so I reckon they were hiding in some bushes.

pip&mims

Re: New Grump of the Day

Post by pip&mims » Mon 20th Jun, 2016 11:32 am

What a bummer :twisted: Someone did that to our precious Landy SVX a couple of years back. In the quiet Wilts village where we lived then. Cost £120 to fix, which isn't much in the great scheme of things, but blooming annoying nonetheless :(

As for the weather......grrrr! I've been painting Windows externally here since last Summer. Don't think I'll ever get them finished at this rate. The blooms on my poor David Austin roses are all soggy too.....

Sympathies all round then!

Mims x

kreyszig

Post by kreyszig » Mon 20th Jun, 2016 11:43 am

you want to see the state of our peonies if you think your roses have got problems :-) at least the roses will be back!

JanJonWestWales

Post by JanJonWestWales » Mon 20th Jun, 2016 11:50 am

lovely weather for Limewashing (Indoors)...don't even nead to wet the walls :)

pip&mims

Post by pip&mims » Mon 20th Jun, 2016 12:36 pm

kreyszig wrote:you want to see the state of our peonies if you think your roses have got problems :-) at least the roses will be back!
Sorry to hear that, Kreyszig :( Luckily our peonies finished flowering before the most recent onslaught of rain :lol:

kreyszig

Post by kreyszig » Mon 20th Jun, 2016 12:50 pm

not to worry, we've got a few of Dai's roses knocking about too :-) Jude the obscure is just coming on, smells amazing! -well in the dry anyway :lol:

pip&mims

Post by pip&mims » Mon 20th Jun, 2016 3:04 pm

kreyszig wrote:not to worry, we've got a few of Dai's roses knocking about too :-) Jude the obscure is just coming on, smells amazing! -well in the dry anyway :lol:
We planted 'Jude' here last Autumn, so he's not very big as yet.....only three buds, lol! Along with the 20+ mainly David Austins we've added, there were already a further twenty or so roses when we bought the house, some of which are massive including a gigantic Rambling Rector. Sadly many have lost their labels, so I'm busy trying to identify them.....but with a few I've found the DA label buried in the soil :D

Mims x

jocelyn plummer

Post by jocelyn plummer » Mon 20th Jun, 2016 9:57 pm

Rabbits have eaten two of my new, young roses, and the more mature ones planted last year have flowered only to be ruined by the rain and the wind!

essexbearhunter

Post by essexbearhunter » Fri 24th Jun, 2016 12:36 pm

The rain is having a second side effect - the slugs and snails are rampant - devouring most new plants including the normally slug-resistant gypsophila.
The salvation has been Sweet Williams - resistant to rain, slugs and even the shade of the Return that goes to the back door - and an old pale pink rambling rose (sadly unscented).

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Fri 24th Jun, 2016 5:27 pm

About this referendum business . . . . er, no, best not. :lol:

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Fri 24th Jun, 2016 9:15 pm

OYYYY!!!!

What's with all this "New" Grump of the Day then eh?

What was wrong with the old one? A lovely period post it was, wonderful patina, and then someone comes along and puts this new-fangled one in. Honestly, it's like ripping out a nice old timber window to put a plastic one in. Some real, genuine grumpiness went into that old post y'know. :wink:

Feltwell, somewhat absent of late but still reassuringly grumpy. Superficially at least :wink:

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Fri 24th Jun, 2016 9:34 pm

Superficially grumpy doesn't get any sympathy from me, not when I've got a real disaster on my hands.

The dishwasher has broken down and we're down to the last of the clean crockery!

PS - it's about time you put in an appearance - welcome back! :D

jocelyn plummer

Post by jocelyn plummer » Fri 24th Jun, 2016 10:06 pm

Little cold calling man yesterday trying to persuade me to have cavity wall insulation----------------shame we are no 2 of a 4 cottage terrace, and such a shame that my Neighbour told them that she had signed up 3 years ago and when the men arrived to do the job, they refused because they couldn't cross the river with the kit!

Still the horrid chap tried to tell me that all he needed to do was make a little hole for his camera-------------------

makes today's horrors look quite insignificant in my view--------------

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sun 26th Jun, 2016 11:14 am

Flyfisher wrote:Superficially grumpy doesn't get any sympathy from me, not when I've got a real disaster on my hands.

The dishwasher has broken down and we're down to the last of the clean crockery!
You have to move with the times FF. Saying "There there Dear" and proffering a hanky just isn't the done thing any more, it's simply not good enough.

You need to modernise like that splendid chap David Cameron has. Look how delighted his Dishwasher was when he bought her a lovely new labour-saving device.
Dishwasher.JPG
Dishwasher.JPG (24.31 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
He imported it especially you know - good job he did that last week. :wink:

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Sun 26th Jun, 2016 1:58 pm

Alas, the days of domestic staff have long gone at chez Flyfisher. After all, the only reason I even know about the problem is precisely because there are no staff to deal with such domestic disasters without bothering me about them. Still, that's austerity for you and as our dear (departing) leader has said, we're all in it together. :lol:

Personally, I'm very suspicious of the timing. The appliance in question is Bosch and the fact it 'broke down' on the day after the Brexit vote seems deeply suspect to me. I'm now worried about my Mercedes deciding to play up or lock me out completely. Fortunately, I've recently acquired a good old Land Rover Defender so at least I'll have a rock solid all-British vehicle to keep me mobile . . .er, hang on . . . :lol: