New Grump of the Day

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Feltwell

Re: New Grump of the Day

Post by Feltwell » Mon 12th Oct, 2020 6:28 pm

Very tidy!

Mine is like your "before" picture :cry: Trouble is it works, so it's low on the list of jobs to do!

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Tue 13th Oct, 2020 10:17 am

Feltwell wrote:
Mon 12th Oct, 2020 6:28 pm
Very tidy!
Thanks, quite pleased with myself.

Feltwell wrote:
Mon 12th Oct, 2020 6:28 pm
Trouble is it works, so it's low on the list of jobs to do!
Ours was like that and then the heating didn't wake back up after its summer sleep :roll:
I phoned the brother-in-law who is a HVAC control engineer for advice and he just laughed and told me to get on with it and rewire it.

It took a while to get my head around and lots of coloured crayon diagrams it but the systems are very simple. It is all just switched 230 V that runs from the timer to the thermostat to the motorised valve to the boiler. There are a few common neutral's and the switched valve output that make it seem complicated but in reality it is not. Laying it out labeled in a big box with multiple chock blocks (as opposed to just crammed in one chock block in a standard pattress) helped a lot, lots of room for logical flow.

No surprisingly once I got it working the following day the heating stopped working. However, as the control side was working properly I could clearly find the fault and fix it (2 port motorized valve failed).

All in two new motorised valve heads (£55 each) a project box (£15) and some chock blocks from the workshop and I think I saved myself a big wedge of cash.

a twig

Post by a twig » Fri 16th Oct, 2020 4:09 pm

Lovely work - my inner electronic engineer is always soothed by rows of "blinkenlights"

paulc

Post by paulc » Sat 17th Oct, 2020 1:51 pm

a twig wrote:
Fri 16th Oct, 2020 4:09 pm
- my inner electronic engineer is always soothed by rows of "blinkenlights"
My submission. A mix of green, red, and blue flashing lights. This little box controls the heating system, some of the lights, and also records a ton of data (temperature, humidity, power consumption, etc). Quite soothing to see the hallway lit up by the blue flashes every minute or so in the middle of the night.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Sat 17th Oct, 2020 7:00 pm

I just tripped out our sockets, and to access the box to reset I had to move the step ladder, the vacuum cleaner, the ironing board, 3 pairs of shoes and a large quantity of curtain tassels! And why did it trip? Because I was testing a big lantern that was just re-plated to take it from tarnished brass to nickel. So I now have a lovely looking fitting that has issues if you try and turn it on. Next stop the place which claims to be able to rewire these things. I suppose theres always candles :lol:

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Mon 19th Oct, 2020 7:43 am

paulc wrote:
Sat 17th Oct, 2020 1:51 pm
My submission. A mix of green, red, and blue flashing lights. This little box controls the heating system, some of the lights, and also records a ton of data (temperature, humidity, power consumption, etc). Quite soothing to see the hallway lit up by the blue flashes every minute or so in the middle of the night.
Very good !

Not sure I could handle random flashing blue lights though (not that I have a guilty conscience of course :lol: )

DJH

Post by DJH » Mon 19th Oct, 2020 11:16 am

LadyArowana wrote:
Sat 17th Oct, 2020 7:00 pm
I just tripped out our sockets, and to access the box to reset I had to move the step ladder, the vacuum cleaner, the ironing board, 3 pairs of shoes and a large quantity of curtain tassels! And why did it trip? Because I was testing a big lantern that was just re-plated to take it from tarnished brass to nickel. So I now have a lovely looking fitting that has issues if you try and turn it on. Next stop the place which claims to be able to rewire these things. I suppose theres always candles :lol:
Get the footman to test it Lady A... :D

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Mon 19th Oct, 2020 6:29 pm

My grump is, when is Doug going to start his "Lead projects I've done over the years" thread? :wink:

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Wed 21st Oct, 2020 6:48 pm

DJH wrote:
Mon 19th Oct, 2020 11:16 am
LadyArowana wrote:
Sat 17th Oct, 2020 7:00 pm
Get the footman to test it Lady A... :D
Alas he’s self isolating down in the wine cellar, which will probably be empty by the time he leaves