New Grump of the Day

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Craig89

Re: New Grump of the Day

Post by Craig89 » Sun 26th Jul, 2020 8:38 pm

When I did an underground water pipe joint I slipped a short piece of soil pipe over one end before making the joint and then surrounded the joint using the pipe before back filling. Rightly or wrongly I thought it might just offer the joint a bit more protection

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Sun 26th Jul, 2020 9:44 pm

Nice idea. That's sort of what I'm thinking of by using two halves of guttering to form a sort of pipe around the couplers. I didn't have enough room in the trench to slip another pipe over the water pipe while making the two couplings. I'm guessing there is probably no need for any protection otherwise it would have surely been explicitly mentioned on the Philmac website showing how to repair a water supply pipe. It's just that I'm a big fan of belts AND braces. :wink:

paulc

Post by paulc » Fri 31st Jul, 2020 11:39 am

Darned kids have started sending their letters to Santa already... It's only July and Christmas is a long way off grrrr..
Oh well, Royal Mail will process all the Santa mail over at Belfast where they have a big incinerator. :twisted:

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Fri 31st Jul, 2020 11:56 am

paulc wrote:
Fri 31st Jul, 2020 11:39 am
Darned kids have started sending their letters to Santa already... It's only July and Christmas is a long way off grrrr..
Oh well, Royal Mail will process all the Santa mail over at Belfast where they have a big incinerator. :twisted:
I’m a good friend of Mrs Claus’ and you can tell the little ankle biters from me that sadly Santa passed away with Covid19 3 1/2 months ago. He was in the vulnerable group being well over 80 and obese and had been told to self isolate, but continued to go to the workshop and oversee the elves as he was worried that putting them all on furlough there wouldn’t be enough toys for Christmas. We think Rudolf had been disappearing off at night to visit his girlfriend in N Sweden and brought the infection back, all the elves recovered but Santa didn’t make it. Mrs Clause is a lot more business minded than he ever was so there won’t be free toys this year, mummy and daddy will have to pay, so littlies better be good, very good, clean rooms and lots of completed chores :lol:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Sat 1st Aug, 2020 1:42 am

LadyArowana wrote:
Fri 31st Jul, 2020 11:56 am
paulc wrote:
Fri 31st Jul, 2020 11:39 am
I’m a good friend of Mrs Claus’ and you can tell the little ankle biters from me that sadly Santa passed away with Covid19 3 1/2 months ago. He was in the vulnerable group being well over 80 and obese and had been told to self isolate, but continued to go to the workshop and oversee the elves as he was worried that putting them all on furlough there wouldn’t be enough toys for Christmas. We think Rudolf had been disappearing off at night to visit his girlfriend in N Sweden and brought the infection back, all the elves recovered but Santa didn’t make it. Mrs Clause is a lot more business minded than he ever was so there won’t be free toys this year, mummy and daddy will have to pay, so littlies better be good, very good, clean rooms and lots of completed chores :lol:
Well, isn’t that just fine! Rudolf just wasn’t happy with the local scene, just had to run off to a fair haired Swedish vixen. He just wasn’t happy with the non specified gender neutral Vixen all ready in the heard. On returning he failed to quarantine for the mandatory fourteen days, as a consequence, Mr Clause past on leaving the cost slashing Mrs Clause in charge.
In an effort to minimize costs Mrs Clause slashes off shore production to centralize production in the home plant, now the elves have to double their production, working longer hours at reduced wages. Whole third world economies will collapse with out the toy production. With the world wide corona triggered economy collapse, parents can not afford to put toys under the tree causing them to wrap lumps of coal for the kiddies. Causing stress and a felling of inadequacy in children world wide that will scare them for life.
It’s a slippery down hill slope all because one reindeer wasn’t content with the local Vixen. :? :lol:

paulc

Post by paulc » Sat 1st Aug, 2020 10:31 am

Gothichome wrote:
Sat 1st Aug, 2020 1:42 am
It’s a slippery down hill slope all because one reindeer wasn’t content with the local Vixen.
Trans-species relationships are doomed to failure...

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Sat 1st Aug, 2020 11:43 am

paulc wrote:
Sat 1st Aug, 2020 10:31 am
I don't know.... there's a gorgeous young donkey I've got my eye on.

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Sat 1st Aug, 2020 1:19 pm

paulc wrote:
Gothichome wrote:
Sat 1st Aug, 2020 1:42 am
It’s a slippery down hill slope all because one reindeer wasn’t content with the local Vixen.
Depends on your definition of failure of course, but it certainly includes all of us . . .
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-06004-0

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Sat 1st Aug, 2020 4:06 pm

Zebra wrote:
Sat 1st Aug, 2020 11:43 am
paulc wrote:
And you can give him a scientific reason for some fetching stripes..... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019 ... es-in-line

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Sat 1st Aug, 2020 9:04 pm

LadyArowana wrote:
Sat 1st Aug, 2020 4:06 pm
Zebra wrote:
And you can give him a scientific reason for some fetching stripes..... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019 ... es-in-line
Hopefully she wouldn't need a scientific reason to find my stripes alluring!

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Mon 3rd Aug, 2020 11:46 am

Zebra wrote:
Sat 1st Aug, 2020 9:04 pm
LadyArowana wrote:
Sat 1st Aug, 2020 4:06 pm
Zebra wrote:
Hopefully she wouldn't need a scientific reason to find my stripes alluring!
Well thanks for nothing, I just tried this out in Sainsbury and absolutely nobody found it alluring, I thought I was being socially responsible but had to canter off before security called the men with the nice jacket that has the wrap round arms. Apparently I was upsetting all the normal people. https://mask-arade.com/zebra-animal-mask/

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Mon 3rd Aug, 2020 6:18 pm

LadyArowana wrote:
Mon 3rd Aug, 2020 11:46 am

Well thanks for nothing, I just tried this out in Sainsbury and absolutely nobody found it alluring, I thought I was being socially responsible but had to canter off...
But did you notice a reduction in the number of flies that landed on you while you were in Sainsbury's, compared to normally?

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Mon 3rd Aug, 2020 7:08 pm

Zebra wrote:
Mon 3rd Aug, 2020 6:18 pm
LadyArowana wrote:
Mon 3rd Aug, 2020 11:46 am

Well thanks for nothing, I just tried this out in Sainsbury and absolutely nobody found it alluring, I thought I was being socially responsible but had to canter off...
But did you notice a reduction in the number of flies that landed on you while you were in Sainsbury's, compared to normally?
Yes now you come to mention it, nothing followed me home, and my cape sundew is looking a little peaky, didn’t get its regular snack :lol:

paulc

Post by paulc » Fri 25th Sep, 2020 6:24 pm

Sitting here at my desk watching water drip through the ceiling, I realise it is about time I get the flashing sorted around the chimney.... Then I find a damp patch on the ceiling in the kitchen - I guess the flat roof is also leaking.

I would try to drown my sorrows, but the little buggers have learnt how to swim.

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Mon 12th Oct, 2020 12:16 pm

Plumbers doing (or more accurately trying and failing to do) electrics :evil:

Heating controller "Re-positioned" by prior owner.

Inside the heating center isn't much better.

Tidy cable runs to.

Scratched my head and got it sorted out last week.

Much more presentable.