tradespersons day rate

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Feltwell

Re: tradespersons day rate

Post by Feltwell » Sun 23rd Aug, 2020 6:25 pm

It all boils down to trust. A Tradesman will price a job to take account of the worst case scenario in many cases, so a day rate can prove cheaper. It can also be a lot easier - the brickie I’ve got working for me it means there’s no discussion over if any element of work was included in his quote or not, it’s just a case of agreeing what needs doing as we go - it also means my involvement can be flexible, I’ve been doing a lot of the work myself which speeds the job up and saves me money, but if I want I can slow down or stop and leave it all to him. For example, right now I’m on holiday but he wanted to carry on - no problem, I trust him and he has the garage keys to get equipment and materials to crack on.

steveb

Post by steveb » Sun 23rd Aug, 2020 11:32 pm

absolutely. Day rate vs job rate = trust.

on a day rate, you have to trust that they won't screw you for hours worked on a job not done, or over-do work not needed
on a job rate, you have to trust that they won't screw you by bodging something that should be done a little more expensively now but save you a fortune in the longer run

I rebuilt an entire house, and renovated a house, on a day rate. Picking a local builder with a local reputation that is his to lose I found was a good starting point.

a twig

Post by a twig » Mon 24th Aug, 2020 9:31 pm

I've never had any problems with people on day rate when I've been on site the whole day :)

Roger111

Post by Roger111 » Wed 26th Aug, 2020 2:17 pm

I always work like this:

1: If its hard to estimate I pay a day rate. Ie im not sure on full job spec or there are too many unknowns. For example strip wallpaper and make good walls where base condition not known.
2: If on day rate I get hour rate. i make it clear i wont pay abuve a day rate without agreement ie no doing 6hours on a friday and 10 on the Monday and calling it two days. too open to abuse without prior agreement.
3: I inspect as much as possible

If im on a fixed rate then its a fixed rate. i make it clear its all in ie no uplift unless I have asked for change. This can be tough. for example if a fixed rate to strip plaster off and replaster wall and they have inspected, if it turns out underlying plaster is tough and takes ages to come off, or its damp and they have to wait, then not my issues.

Id budget for 200 a day plasterer north wales, north england. As always it depends on demand. At moment its busy, lots of money being spent and lots of people having no idea how bad things will get. Id wager in 6 months it will be a lot lower....

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Wed 26th Aug, 2020 2:54 pm

Labour rates . . .
Attachments
LabourRates.jpg
LabourRates.jpg (33.96 KiB) Viewed 151 times

Craig89

Post by Craig89 » Wed 26th Aug, 2020 6:57 pm

That reminds me of an experience of a friend of mine. He had started working for himself doing some house bashing (electrical) and was called out to repair a faulty light fitting, charged them very little and went on his way. A couple of weeks later he received a call from the wife of the customer explaining that her husband had watched him do the work, thought it looked easy, and proceeded to try and change some light fittings. Needless to say it didn't go well and he was asked to go and sort it out. My friend told them to sort it out themselves as he thinks its so easy

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Thu 27th Aug, 2020 11:54 am

steveb wrote:
Sun 23rd Aug, 2020 11:32 pm
I rebuilt an entire house, and renovated a house, on a day rate. Picking a local builder with a local reputation that is his to lose I found was a good starting point.
Exactly; the local reputation is the thing. In a town in the country, tradesmen know that a bad job will get around (especially with social media!) so you are more likely to get a good job from a local. I did my house in this old market town I used contractors who were based in the same town (and I still use and recommend them). Some were fixed rate and some were day rate, but I got the same good job out of all of them - yes, I was often on site doing things as well.

I used to live in London SE17, and almost every tradesman was effectively from another planet even if they lived a mile away as local reputation seemed to have no importance. They couldn't really care if they messed up - it was "bodgit and run", leaving the owner with almost no comeback (this was before social media became more useful).
Roger111 wrote:
Wed 26th Aug, 2020 2:17 pm
IIf im on a fixed rate then its a fixed rate. i make it clear its all in ie no uplift unless I have asked for change. This can be tough. for example if a fixed rate to strip plaster off and replaster wall and they have inspected, if it turns out underlying plaster is tough and takes ages to come off, or its damp and they have to wait, then not my issues.
But if they suspect the plaster could be tough, they might include that in their fixed rate and if it happens then that it's not so difficult, it's the owner who ends up paying more than he needed!