Hello from the colonies, well Canada any way.

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Gothichome

Re: Hello from the colonies, well Canada any way.

Post by Gothichome » Sat 23rd Feb, 2019 12:12 pm

Westholm, here is our fireplace the day we took possession of Gothichome. As you can see it’s pretty sparse.
I have been told that there was a fancy surround at one time, long since gone.
A few years ago we found this period and correct style insert.
Image,
At this moment it is just pushed up against the bricked in fire box. At some point I will knock out the brick fill and install it all the way in.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Wed 27th Feb, 2019 11:08 pm

For those who are interested, this is some of the plaster work Gothichome wears.
The dinning room
We have two of these, one in the dinning room the other in the back parlour.
And four of these, two in each hallway.
And finally the front parlour

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Thu 28th Feb, 2019 7:00 am

Looks like you had/ have a damp problem in that room with the fireplace. What action did you/ will you take?

We still have people here who will repair or copy ornate plasterwork like that. Do you have access to such skills in Canada?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Fri 1st Mar, 2019 10:28 pm

Hello Mike, there is no damp issue in the front parlour. What your seeing is 1962 wallpaper covering the 1880 wall paper. It’s slowly falling off the walls. All those blotches spots are shadows from pictures ect. We do have a lot of humidity here in SW Ontario though. Over the decades it has just creeped into the seams and started discolouring the paper. It’s on the list of rooms to restore, but not this year. This year I am removing the scourge that is white paint from our once stained woodwork in the hallway.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Tue 5th Mar, 2019 11:22 pm

I meant to post a pic of our home as it is today as a comparison to the as bought.
I have one large window left to restore on this side of the home. This is the up stairs hall window. Hopefully I should get it done this summer, along with a few others.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Sun 24th Mar, 2019 11:25 am

How about a few more pics of Gothichome for you picture hounds.
This is the panelling in our dinning room when bought, under that paint it is stained.
The panelling goes around all four walls.
This Flemish oil lamp we bought for the dinning room. Had to order a replacement shade from Belgium.
And this is how it looks today with out antique dinning set and antique dishes set out.

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Sun 24th Mar, 2019 6:30 pm

I don't recall ever seeing paneling like that previously. There's some work in that, particularly with the curved mouldings.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Mon 25th Mar, 2019 12:41 am

Mike, yes there was. We have the same style panelling in the front hall way as well, although much taller to fill the stair well. My suspicion is the curved details were purchased millwork. But all the rest would have been boards. The carpenter fitted the panels to the milled curves. The wood I believe is clear pine or some other yellow white deal. I do know it is rock hard and brittle now, so that’s why I think pine. Although poplar was often used deal as well.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Mon 8th Apr, 2019 12:59 am

How about some more pictures of one of the restored rooms.
This is one of the bedrooms.

And these are the befor pics.
https://thehistoricdistrict.org/viewtop ... &start=100
Sorry it has to be a link but photo bucket has messed up my direct links

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Fri 12th Apr, 2019 8:07 am

Well that room turned out absolutely beautifully. Congratulations.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Sat 13th Apr, 2019 1:22 am

Thanks Mike, that colour is the colour that was on the trim when we bought I just top sanded and replaced with the almost the same yellow. We stripped three layers of wall paper and repaired the plaster. The ceiling though was a spongy mess with lots of broken keys, I made the decision to strap and drywall (plaster board) it brought the ceiling down only an inch and a quarter, with eleven foot ceilings I don’t think any one will notice.

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Sat 13th Apr, 2019 8:44 am

I'm an advocate of overboarding, in the right circumstances. It retains the original, follows the contours of the original, and saves an almighty amount of mess if used instead of removing the original. The number one choice would always be re-screwing with large washers, and over-plastering with an appropriate plaster, but if the ceiling is too bad that may well not work and over-boarding comes into its own.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Sun 14th Apr, 2019 1:21 pm

Mike, Over boarding was one of the three options I had. Tear down old plaster and board or plaster washers and skimming. Tearing down the plaster doesn’t fit my restoration ethos, over skimming is far beyond my skill set for this large an area, this left me with strapping and drywall. Well with in my skill set and it preserved the original plaster as well as the strapping will hold the plaster in place.
This is what I started with.
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w43 ... 7cd9db.jpg
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w43 ... 03fa3c.jpg
https://thehistoricdistrict.org/downloa ... hp?id=2203
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w43 ... 0e21fe.jpg

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Sun 19th May, 2019 1:16 pm

Hello. About a month ago I finished up the winter project, the front hallway paint removal and restaining. This is what I started out with.
Only two coats of white paint. Started out using a gel stripper but it wasn’t doing the job and it was slow and messy, so I switched to a heat gun.
After stripping and many, many hours of sanding.

And the almost finished product, at this point all that’s left is the shellacking but am indecisive as to clear or amber shellac.
These are the original colours.
Sorry for the dark pictures, with the sun higher in the sky we don’t get a lot of direct light in the hallway.
Here is what it looks like with a bit more day light

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Fri 12th Jul, 2019 11:15 pm

In line with PP’s post on his hall lamp, here are the two we have mounted in the main first floor hall.
These lamps are all original and will take oil. Just routed some wiring and installed large chandelier bulbs. The first is a Bradley and Hubbard, the one at the rear is a Pittsburgh. Both date from about 1880.