Paints

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

overlander matt

Re: Paints

Post by overlander matt » Tue 17th Sep, 2019 10:02 pm

I think I have been put off using poultice strippers on the basis of the clean-up required once the paint has been removed. I'm wondering just how messy this really is given the location of the cornice high up around the perimeter of the room. Does one need to cover up the plastered walls below?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

TheForge

Post by TheForge » Tue 17th Sep, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi Matt,

A good poultice isn’t messy. It will peel off with care straight into a bin. Neutralising the area that has been treated is the hard bit, but done carefully with sponges there’s no reason for damage or mess.

overlander matt

Post by overlander matt » Tue 17th Sep, 2019 10:50 pm

That sounds better than I had feared... I'm sure I have heard of stripped timber needing pressure washing to neutralise prior to painting. A sponge sounds a lot more civilised.

Thanks.

Matt

overlander matt

Post by overlander matt » Tue 4th Feb, 2020 10:56 pm

Five months seem to have passed by since these postings and I have only just received a few tester pots from Rose of Jericho. I'm probably only halfway through the work on the house but I do need to start decorating soon to make it habitable... That means making some decisions on colour which as other recent posts have shown is very difficult - unless of course you go with the magnolia/white combination throughout.

The first problem is the white paint for ceilings. As it will mainly cover gypsum, a casein distemper or emulsion should be fine but I'm struggling with getting the right shade of white. Rose of Jericho suggested their Venetian white was their most popular option but we found it a bit creamy for our liking and would prefer a shade closer to a brilliant white. That seemingly is not the done thing but I really would prefer a cleaner white to a traditional one and better still one that is available in large pots for a sensible price. How are the Earthborn whites for brightness?

Another painting related issue is whether to fit a picture rail in the main reception and bedrooms then paint above the picture rail in the same white as the ceiling. There is also a fairly plain cornice in these rooms that will also be painted white. The ceiling heights are 3m and 2.85m - is there any suggested height for a picture rail?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Wed 5th Feb, 2020 3:31 pm

I know what you mean about some ‘off-whites’ being quite creamy. Have a look at Little Greene ‘Hollyhock’. It’s a soft white that is definitely not creamy and is now our standard ‘white’ paint for ceilings and woodwork.

steveb

Post by steveb » Thu 6th Feb, 2020 5:15 pm

Earthborn white is a proper plain white , but is ultra matt so not shiny if that's what you're after. I have used gallons of it

Very hard to take pictures as cameras and computers lie!

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Thu 6th Feb, 2020 6:10 pm

steveb wrote:
Thu 6th Feb, 2020 5:15 pm
Very hard to take pictures as cameras and computers lie!
Yes, and eyes as well, especially when comparing very subtle differences of colours side by side.

overlander matt

Post by overlander matt » Thu 6th Feb, 2020 10:27 pm

That's good to know thanks. I am trying to keep an eye on the costs of the paint as we're doing the whole house rather than room-by-room. Regarding the 'mattness' of the paints, I was hoping to use a single supplier and paint type to get a consistent finish but this now looks less likely. In some of the rooms there is likely to be a picture rail which will separate a wall colour from the ceiling colour which will cover the top of the wall, cornice and ceiling. Having a similar finish would therefore be ideal but if not then I wonder if it would be all that noticeable?

Thanks again,

Matt

overlander matt

Post by overlander matt » Tue 1st Sep, 2020 8:32 pm

Oh dear, six months seem to have gone by since I mentioned starting painting to make some rooms habitable... Last week I finally got started and tried some of Rose of Jericho's 'white' casein distemper on a couple of ceilings. I had been worried about the creaminess of other white samples I had looked at and I can report back at last that this one does the trick. I had been keen to find a reasonably priced white distemper - some other manufacturers can be rather expensive if carrying out work on a large scale. Although the colour range is not as extensive as some other suppliers' we've found a few suitable options and I've got a few months of painting ahead now. We will also be trying some F&B and Little Green distemper so will report back on the coverage comparison in due course.

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Tue 1st Sep, 2020 9:44 pm

Don’t mention painting! I’ve got loads to do, inside and out, and it’s this time of year I start panicking about the weather starting to turn and missing yet another year for outdoor painting. Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike painting? :(

But I’m not posting just to moan, more to share my experience of F&B and Little Greene paints, which is that LG seems to give far better coverage. I think I’ve previously mentioned problems with F&B distemper requiring three coats and even then not giving uniform coverage. I’ve been told that darker coloured distempered can have this problem. Make of that what you will.

Pennyviz

Post by Pennyviz » Thu 3rd Sep, 2020 4:32 pm

And just to say that Bedec MSP have finally started tinting their paint again, which means that I can finally start on the outside windows. Hurrah I think.

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Thu 3rd Sep, 2020 5:38 pm

I didn't finish my outside windows during the linseed season this summer. It was always too hot, too cold, too rainy, or I was doing something else, and there are still some coats to go. Mustn't rush these things.

Pennyviz

Post by Pennyviz » Fri 4th Sep, 2020 5:21 pm

A few years I used a decorator and he used car body filler to plug the big holes and it it hasn't lasted well as the paint has split and peeled at the junctions of wood and filler. I'm now refilling with the High performance wood filler and hoping that will last better. Anybody used either?

overlander matt

Post by overlander matt » Sat 26th Sep, 2020 6:51 am

I'm having some bother getting a good covering on some old plaster cornicing with the white casein distemper. It's had multiple coats now trying to cover whatever was on it before - emulsion, shiny paint, who knows what?! It doesn't seem to like whatever it is and I need to look at an alternative to provide a base for the distemper if that's possible.

A bit annoyingly, where a new cornice was fitted, the installers seem to have slapped so much PVA on the fresh lime wall, there's a good 150-300mm band that won't cover well either! Nothing is simple... I guess this will just need some sanding off.