Leaded glass panels

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Gothichome

Re: Leaded glass panels

Post by Gothichome » Thu 16th Jul, 2020 12:03 am

Thanks for you insights, I will be sure to talk to the stained glass person about this and what she uses. Now is there a specific title other than glazer for some one who specifically does stained glass work?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Sun 9th Aug, 2020 12:53 pm

Folks, got the design worked out for our panels. Now to pick out the colours. I am finding this the hard part.

DampedOut

Post by DampedOut » Wed 12th Aug, 2020 5:08 pm

Can I ask, what are the limits on colour reproduction? Or are there historical precedents you want to stick to? Very curious about this process. Excited to see how it goes!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Thu 13th Aug, 2020 10:31 pm

Dampedout, this my first time commissioning leaded glass so am working out as I go. My only limitation on the style is period and home appropriate. This meant it has to be a gothic design that would have been made about 1880. This eliminated the Tiffany style using the foil method so it will be full came construction. As far as the colours go, they will be what ever we like, there were many colours available and in any shades of each colour was available in 1880. I am hoping the artist can incorporate bullseye for the round medallion elements.
This project seems to be a slow one as far as the artist is concerned, maybe artists don’t work on a deadline.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Fri 14th Aug, 2020 2:05 pm

Gothichome wrote:
Thu 13th Aug, 2020 10:31 pm
Dampedout, this my first time commissioning leaded glass so am working out as I go. My only limitation on the style is period and home appropriate. This meant it has to be a gothic design that would have been made about 1880. This eliminated the Tiffany style using the foil method so it will be full came construction. As far as the colours go, they will be what ever we like, there were many colours available and in any shades of each colour was available in 1880. I am hoping the artist can incorporate bullseye for the round medallion elements.
This project seems to be a slow one as far as the artist is concerned, maybe artists don’t work on a deadline.
I’m assuming that by “bullsye” glass you mean the swirly knobble that formed the centre when glass was spun into sheets, because somewhat confusingly there is a make of glass called Bullseye, and you might end up with a strange conversation at cross purposes! As I did when I found that to a repairer of clock cases the word ‘secured’ was used in the sense of ‘attached to’ rather than the legal sense of relating to the assurance of payment of a debt!
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/new-to-us ... gJqZ_D_BwE

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Sat 15th Aug, 2020 1:30 pm

LadyArowana wrote:
Fri 14th Aug, 2020 2:05 pm
[quote=Gothichome post_id=230240 time=<a href="tel:1597354276">1597354276</a> user_id=7615]
I’m assuming that by “bullsye” glass you mean the swirly knobble that formed the centre when glass was spun into sheets, because somewhat confusingly there is a make of glass called Bullseye, and you might end up with a strange conversation at cross purposes! As I did when I found that to a repairer of clock cases the word ‘secured’ was used in the sense of ‘attached to’ rather than the legal sense of relating to the assurance of payment of a debt!
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/new-to-us ... gJqZ_D_BwE
[/quote]

I have discovered the proper name for the glass rounds is ‘rondel’. https://blenko.com/rondels/
Please forgive the novice mistake. I had spotted your link to Bullseye glass, when you get on the net you find all sorts of places that sell coloured glass. I guess there must be a large demand for the glass, maybe driven by restoration work or even the hobby market.

DampedOut

Post by DampedOut » Mon 17th Aug, 2020 8:05 am

Gothichome wrote:
Thu 13th Aug, 2020 10:31 pm
Sounds really nice—do you already have colour palettes in mind at all? If not, I can recommend the Little Greene book of colour (or whatever title)—it has lots of palette suggestions in it and the colours may be easy to match. Alternatively, your favourite flowers probably have beautiful palettes you already know you like, between the stem, leaves, petals, stamens, etc.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Sat 12th Sep, 2020 1:10 pm

An update on the front door restoration. I found some rondels for the leaded glass panels, and have the colours picked out. Going with traditional colours in cathedral glass. Cranberry, blue, green and gold.
I now have the door stripped and repaired. This picture is from a couple of weeks ago.
Most of the trim below the windows was held on by old paint and dust. What I couldn’t repair and fill I reproduced. Now it’s down to the nasty job of sanding. Windows should be ready in about three weeks.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sat 12th Sep, 2020 5:02 pm

That is some door! Looks quite ecclesiastical.

I look forward to seeing the finished result.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Fri 9th Oct, 2020 1:40 am

For those who are interested, I picked up our leaded glass panels today.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Fri 9th Oct, 2020 7:36 am

Wow! They are lovely. I bet you're pleased (even if your credit card isn't!) - please do post up a picture once they are in-situ.

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Fri 9th Oct, 2020 9:54 am

They look very good.
Pictures when there fitted please.