Suggestions For Painted Doors

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

pj38

Suggestions For Painted Doors

Post by pj38 » Mon 10th Aug, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi There
I managed to fit these doors to replace my out of character doors in my 1861 house. There is 7 of them !
door.png
Doors
door.png (83.41 KiB) Viewed 434 times
I don't want to strip them. I want to paint them. I'm Looking for suggestions for a good colour /finish?

I was thinking maybe the doors a different colour to the architrave ( which is quite grand ) Got mortice locks and period knobs for all of them.

I've used Crown period eggshell before but find it a bit thin in coats? Any ideas?

Also I replace the top of the missing newel post.

pj38

Re: Suggestions For Painted Doors

Post by pj38 » Mon 10th Aug, 2020 4:29 pm

Door 2.png
Bigger picture

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Mon 10th Aug, 2020 7:31 pm

I like two-tone doors, with the panels a different colour, either light/dark shades of the same colour, or two theme-colours from the overall room decoration.
Or wallpaper the panels. There are so many possibilities, it depends what you like.
Usually taste of the period was I think for bolder colours than we like now - no cream or magnolia!
I hate gloss paint - always satin finish, inside or out.

Easrow

Post by Easrow » Tue 25th Aug, 2020 9:23 pm

Nice door you have there. We have been using water based satin paints on ours with varying amounts of success. We chose water based paint purely for the ease of cleaning the brushes and quick drying characteristics. Johnston's came out ok but was a bit thin, a b&q own brand that said it went on like a gloss gave a very bad finish full of brush strokes and we used a Farrow & Ball satin on a dresser. This was the most expensive paint and never seems to fully dry which is very disappointing. We are now using crown trade paint which seems pretty good. I'm moving over to trade paints more as they have good strong pigments and at the end of the day a painter has to put their name to the job so must be ok. Steer clear of contract paint though. A friend of mine swears by acrylic egg shell and uses it on all his wood work. Just spend time doing the prep. As for colours, well that's up to you. We just use white 🙂

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Thu 27th Aug, 2020 12:05 pm

We used eggshell on our paintwork - I have a resistance to high gloss in an old house. I do have one door where I used gloss without realising until too late!

Most recently we used Laura Ashley White and Eau-de-nil water soluble eggshell from Homebase (but not sure if they still do it). The white seemed a bit thin and needed two coats but I think the eau-de-nil needed just a single coat. Both give a smooth finish which I guess is called satin (although the tins don't use that word).

My wife chose the eau-de-nil for the doors in the main hall and I was a bit concerned (but wisely gave in); however she was right and I'm very pleased with it (and I'm also pleased that she is pleased!).

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Fri 28th Aug, 2020 1:43 pm

Dulux trade water based eggshell is a good satin paint. Slap it on as quickly as possible and brush it out once. It might look a bit naff when wet but dries pretty smooth and covers well. Not as much body as oil which always looks beter but is a pain as it smells and takes ages to dry. I am wood graining my doors. I think dark coloured doors are nice. Your hall looks quite grand. If you were really bold you could put designs in the panels a la the aesthetic movement. I would decide on a style and get as many books and period drawings and colours as possible for inspiration. Victorian decor was quite dark but very rich and that is a look I like. Have a look at the NT's Sunnycroft for a good idea how a large house might have been decorated, or Mr Straws house for a medium sized semi detatched. I can recommend lots of good books if interested.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sunnyc ... unnycroft-

https://britishheritage.com/travel/time ... raws-house

Bogart

Post by Bogart » Fri 28th Aug, 2020 2:17 pm

Go French hotel and wallpaper the panels.

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Fri 28th Aug, 2020 2:30 pm

Wrong topic :roll:

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Sun 30th Aug, 2020 1:03 pm

Bogart wrote:
Fri 28th Aug, 2020 2:17 pm
Go French hotel and wallpaper the panels.
Or even the old French way of woven patterned material on the wall! (I last saw this in the 1980s)

Bogart

Post by Bogart » Sun 30th Aug, 2020 1:45 pm

1980s probably still there then.