Is it worth using lime plaster on (gypsum) plasterboard ceilings?

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

benrsa

Is it worth using lime plaster on (gypsum) plasterboard ceilings?

Post by benrsa » Mon 24th Aug, 2020 7:39 am

Dear all,

On our ground floor we've put plasterboard hanging ceilings up to cover the new electrics (and improve sound insulation).

I know lime improves air quality, but since there's plenty of original lime plaster elsewhere in the house... Is there another compelling reason not to use gypsum plaster to skim the plasterboards?

Lime seems really expensive here in Germany, and I thought if we make a saving on the ceilings we wouldn't really notice the difference. Am I wrong?

Many thanks,
Ben

paulc

Re: Is it worth using lime plaster on (gypsum) plasterboard ceilings?

Post by paulc » Mon 24th Aug, 2020 11:23 am

I have done one ceiling here with plasterboard topped with lime. The key is to use a grit primer such as FeBond Blue Grit or similar (Baumit DG-27 is often mentioned here, but darned expensive). Mixed my own plaster from lime putty & ground marble - Unlike gypsum plaster, it doesn't go "off" and remains workable for much longer.
With gypsum, I struggle to get a good finish, so would probably get a professional in to do a whole ceiling.

benrsa

Post by benrsa » Mon 24th Aug, 2020 9:06 pm

Interesting. That would be my cost saving gone then, paying a professional!

a twig

Post by a twig » Mon 24th Aug, 2020 9:20 pm

In short, no, not worth it, just slap normal plaster on.

Just skim the board with something forgiving and a reasonably long set time, and you're good to go. Slightly heretical but I've used a single coat of Gyproc Easifill 60 when skimming plasterboard ceilings and it worked great, and has 60 minute working time per batch you mix up, and you can do the first watered down coat of paint within a few hours of finishing.

The Easifill is quite "fat" so nice to work with IMO, just dont faff about too long.

benrsa

Post by benrsa » Tue 25th Aug, 2020 7:45 pm

Haha ok, nice one!

DWB

Post by DWB » Sun 13th Sep, 2020 2:25 pm

We used Gypsum plaster on our celings upstairs but I didn't want a flat 'new' look finish. So, our plasterer did what he called a 'rubbish' job. The finish gave us a slightly undulating and uneven surface with trowel marks which, now painted with a flat emulsion, blends really well with the lime plaster walls.

Hope this helps!