Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Feltwell

Re: Top tools

Post by Feltwell » Sat 12th Sep, 2020 8:49 am

MatthewC wrote:
Fri 11th Sep, 2020 4:52 pm
NB Feltwell - TWO towers? You really are boasting, aren't you? :D
I know, I know, what a show-off :lol:

Actually I have a job where I will need both of them at the same time - I shall post a picture when I get around to doing it.....

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Sat 12th Sep, 2020 12:52 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Tue 8th Sep, 2020 8:03 am
Ahh, actually I'm so self-indulgent I've got TWO scaffold towers!

A big aluminium double width Boss Youngman job that I bought secondhand - which I'd heartily recommend to anyone, there's a reason that tradesmen use them, very light and very sturdy. I have to go high here to reach the top of the house at the front, so needed a really stable one. I had a comparison at the weekend with a small DIY-grade one a neighbour was using - mine was a lot more stable, and I could sell it on easily for what it cost me.

Then by pure chance I spotted someone selling an extra-narrow staircase scaffold as-new for £50. It's a cheap steel job but perfect for how often it'll get used, it's just narrow enough for our steep and narrow attic stairs, if I cut the base plates down a little bit.. But yes, once up it's impassable, so you have to be very organised! The stairs to the first floor are wide enough that you can get round it.

Servants staircase - yes, but that means going all the way to the East wing, so tiresome...... :wink:
All the way to the east wing, how inconvenient, you might have to interact with the servants using them, how unacceptable. :lol:
My three favourites, a belt sander, how I would get any thing done with out it I have no idea, my heat gun, and I don’t have a third. All standard tools, I don’t have any extra special tools unfortunately, but am putting some serious thought into purchasing a used man lift.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sat 12th Sep, 2020 2:26 pm

I used to use my hand-held belt sander quite a bit, but now it rarely comes out. 2 reasons - I bought a bench mounted belt sander, which really is for different jobs, but mostly because I bought a random orbit sander - I just find it a lot more controllable than the belt sander, and it gives a better finish. So much so that it's on my wish list to get a better, powered orbit sander - alas the one I want has been out of stock for months, Covid affecting Bosch production I suspect. I want that to sand my lounge floor with.

a twig

Post by a twig » Sat 12th Sep, 2020 2:45 pm

My Bosch SDS is tool number 1, the amount of abuse that has taken and it still keeps going, it's chiselled stone, drilled holes for outlets, broken up concrete slabs etc

Number 2 is a proper set of stone masonry chisels and dummy, done everything from carving a new fireplace to trimming up Blue Lias for rubble stonework.

Number 3 is a toss up between my Makita Multi-Tool - their version of the Fein Multimaster, and my Makita angle grinder, which I have become nigh on surgical with.

Oh and number 3.5 is one of these "Plumber's Wrenches" - much easier to use than a normal basin wrench
https://trabyhand.com/product/the-plumb ... -wrench-1/

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Tue 13th Oct, 2020 10:28 am

Another recent top tool discovery for me, a bootlace ferrule crimper.

Designed to put little sleeves on twisted cable. I always just stripped, twisted and folded back stranded cable but these put a perfect sized hard copper ferrule on the end of multi-strand cable.
You are not supposed to use screw terminals with multi-strand cable unless it has a ferrule as the twisted cable can collapse and loosen. (No ferrule needed for solid cable.)

I used them in the my recent heating controller rewire (You can just see the red plastic collar part sticking out).

I love them, much neater and don't get damaged taking in and out of a terminal. I will not be twisting cable again.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Wed 14th Oct, 2020 8:04 am

New toy ordered from Amazon!

I've never liked just twisting cable ends. I did have a ferrule and crimper set but the ferrules ran out years ago and don't seem to be made any more. The above looks like a good set.

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Wed 14th Oct, 2020 12:21 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Wed 14th Oct, 2020 8:04 am
New ESSENTIAL TOOL ordered from Amazon!
There you fixed your typing mistake :lol:

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Sat 14th Nov, 2020 4:33 pm

My favourite tool, because it symbolises everything I've done with this house - skills I didn't have before and have learned as I go along - is my Marshalltown tuck pointer.
Not only used for pointing, it's handy for doing the edges of lime plaster around the timber frame, and I'm currently using it to fill gaps between floorboards. My faithful friend, now much worn down, as am I.

P.S. What is an onion board? I'm assuming not just a board for chopping onions, that wouldn't raise much enthusiasm on here.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sat 14th Nov, 2020 8:39 pm

It's one of these:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-POL-Onion- ... SwX2xat8ja

Mix your woodfiller / whatever up on it then just peel off & throw away the top sheet at the end of the job, leaving a nice new clean sheet for next time. Works a treat so long as you don't mix too vigorously and tear the top sheet off by accident! A 100 sheet onion board lasts for ages, definitely one of those cheap "Why didn't anyone tell me about these before?" items.

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Sun 15th Nov, 2020 4:29 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Sat 14th Nov, 2020 8:39 pm
Mix your woodfiller / whatever up on it then just peel off & throw away the top sheet at the end of the job, leaving a nice new clean sheet for next time.
Oh, how clever. Doesn't everybody just pull a piece of cardboard out of the recycling then, mix on it shiny side up so it doesn't stick, and just throw it away afterwards? Got that habit from my Dad, I think.......

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Sun 15th Nov, 2020 6:49 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Sat 14th Nov, 2020 8:39 pm
It's one of these:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-POL-Onion- ... SwX2xat8ja

Mix your woodfiller / whatever up on it then just peel off & throw away the top sheet at the end of the job, leaving a nice new clean sheet for next time. Works a treat so long as you don't mix too vigorously and tear the top sheet off by accident! A 100 sheet onion board lasts for ages, definitely one of those cheap "Why didn't anyone tell me about these before?" items.
I just use a cheap nylon cutting board from a dollar store, I guess that would be a one £ shop for you folks. Once the epoxy has cured you just give it a twist and your back to a clean surface.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sun 15th Nov, 2020 10:47 pm

Zebra wrote:
Sun 15th Nov, 2020 4:29 pm
Oh, how clever. Doesn't everybody just pull a piece of cardboard out of the recycling then, mix on it shiny side up so it doesn't stick, and just throw it away afterwards? Got that habit from my Dad, I think.......
I had a habit of wanting that bit of cardboard just *after* the recycling lorry has been........... :roll:

I used to mix woodfiller up on a old plastic lid, but the filler is so flexible if it's thin that it gradually won't part company from it even when flexed to extremes.

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Sun 15th Nov, 2020 11:39 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Sun 15th Nov, 2020 10:47 pm
I had a habit of wanting that bit of cardboard just *after* the recycling lorry has been........... :roll:
Well there's nothing to stop you taking the side off the cornflakes packet that's still in use......

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Mon 16th Nov, 2020 3:16 pm

Zebra wrote:
Sun 15th Nov, 2020 11:39 pm
Well there's nothing to stop you taking the side off the cornflakes packet that's still in use......
Heresy! I'll disrupt the cereal cupboard karma. The feng shui will be decimated Darling. Such radical actions are the beginnings of the path to anarchy....and I wouldn't be able to look at the picture of Boris Johnson on the side of the Sugar Puffs packet any more.

honey monster.jpg
honey monster.jpg (7.28 KiB) Viewed 109 times

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Wed 18th Nov, 2020 6:08 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Mon 16th Nov, 2020 3:16 pm

Heresy! I'll disrupt the cereal cupboard karma. The feng shui will be decimated Darling. Such radical actions are the beginnings of the path to anarchy....and I wouldn't be able to look at the picture of Boris Johnson on the side of the Sugar Puffs packet any more.

honey monster.jpg

That’s not Boris, that’s the soon to depart President from across the pond.