Chinoiserie wallpaper

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

BethMcNally

Chinoiserie wallpaper

Post by BethMcNally » Tue 20th Oct, 2020 4:49 pm

Hi everyone,

Decorating advice needed! 😊 I’m buying an early Georgian house, and I’ve got my heart set on chinoiserie wallpaper in (at least) one room. De Gournay are wonderful but alas the budget won’t stretch that far 😬 The next best option seems to be Little Greene’s Belton Park, with it’s big room-size repeat, but to my eye the colourways all look a bit synthetic and over-bright. I wondered if any of you marvellous folk might know of any other suppliers who would be worth trying?

Thank you!

Beth

plasticpigeon

Re: Chinoiserie wallpaper

Post by plasticpigeon » Wed 21st Oct, 2020 10:05 am

I can't help, in fact I've never seen such wallpaper before, but it is very beautiful and I'm glad I know that is exists now!

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Wed 21st Oct, 2020 4:11 pm

Thanks for that, not :lol:
Yet more inspiration for SWMBO which always equates to and more work for me :roll:

It does look lovely though.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Wed 21st Oct, 2020 5:54 pm

Ahh, the person you want to speak to is Joce, user name JoceandChris.

Once upon a time an extremely prolific poster, she hasn't been on here in a while - but it might be worth you sending her a private message, which will trigger an email. If you want to talk Georgian and Decorating (or chickens!) she will be your new best friend :D

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Wed 21st Oct, 2020 7:05 pm

Cordonne Wallpapers have options https://www.beut.co.uk/designers/coord ... WSEALw_wcB Scroll down past the modern ones which show up first.

Or if you’re feeling adventurous then have some silk shipped in from Singapore :lol: https://www.justanthony.com/hand-paint ... coverings/

I love the de Gournay ‘Early Views of India’ https://degournay.com/product-details/ ... enic-paper but have no suitable empty wall.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Thu 22nd Oct, 2020 7:34 pm

I'm not sure I dare ask how much they are.....

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Sat 24th Oct, 2020 12:45 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Thu 22nd Oct, 2020 7:34 pm
I'm not sure I dare ask how much they are.....
The Singapore one wasn’t *that* outrageous when I saw it, that was off course getting it at local price with negotiation exVAT and shipping and I admit to being tempted, but sense thankfully prevailed.

StripyCat

Post by StripyCat » Mon 2nd Nov, 2020 5:19 pm

The Stencil Library have some nice chinoiserie stencils https://www.stencil-library.com/cgi-bin ... noiserie~1

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Tue 3rd Nov, 2020 8:15 am

I think the fundamental choice is between a pattern that repeats at short intervals and one intended to build up into a large picture.

Another point is to consider the repeat interval in relation to the height of the wall to be papered.
A further complication arises if you are on a staircase. I chose a lovely pattern for the stairs and landings - two flights of stairs, two landings, and a long corridor, running from dado rail to cornice. Unfortunately the repeat distance was a few inches too long, and I had a massive wastage of paper. In theory the bit cut off at the bottom would have been just right to start the next sheet, but instead I ended up with loads of offcuts cut off on a slope that were useless for anything, even lining the doors of wardrobes. :)