Claw foot cast iron bath on tiles

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

JBean

Claw foot cast iron bath on tiles

Post by JBean » Sun 15th Nov, 2020 11:43 am

We have inherited a cast iron bath in our Edwardian house, which has been sitting on a rather nasty beige vinyl floor. We are currently replacing the floor with porcelain tiles and have started to worry that the cast iron claw feet (which have a surprisingly small amount of contact with the floor) may slip on the tiles.

I know a cast iron bath is super-heavy (from moving it out onto the landing!) and even more so when full of water and people. But still we fret that it may somehow skid about. Would people recommend putting, say, rubber disks on the bottom of the feet to give the bath more grip? Or are we worrying about nothing?

Thanks as ever for any advice.

Gothichome

Re: Claw foot cast iron bath on tiles

Post by Gothichome » Sun 15th Nov, 2020 1:45 pm

JBean, this is the first time (for me) query about claw foots sliding, mostly about cracking of tiles or support. The standard fix is the placing of hardwood or marble blocks under them to spread the weight. The hardwood can be painted to match the floor or the stain on the trim. In fancier installs it was common to instal a marble slab and tile around the slab. For slipping, I think the hardwood blocks should be sufficient.
Ron

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Sun 15th Nov, 2020 2:53 pm

I cut blocks of wood about 4" square, with bevelled edges. I cut out shallow grooves in a horseshoe shape for the feet to sit in - partly because the same thing might happen, ie the feet sliding on the wood, but mainly because either the bath or the floor were not absolutely level - the bath rocked very slightly. That is bound to happen - both the bath and the tiles are absolutely rigid, with no "give" in them to accomodate even the slightest gap.

I then found that if I carelessly leaned across the bath to reach the window the head end would slide quite easily, annoying and straining the pipes. I stopped that by gluing a strip of wood to the tiles behind the head end, exactly the gap between the foot and the skirting board - ie about 6".

In my case I also needed to raise the bath about 1/2" to accommodate the trap.

JBean

Post by JBean » Tue 29th Dec, 2020 6:30 pm

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay in acknowledging. The website seemed to be 'down for maintenance' for weeks - but I think it was just that page stuck in my cache, as today I checked and clearly it has been up-and-running again for weeks.

Anyway, things proved more complicated with the bath than hoped (of course), given lengths of pipes and size of trap, but eventually we have managed to get it back in place without cracking any tiles, with a hardwood block under one leg and the rest just on rubber feet. It is very stable and does not seem to move at all, but if that changes we will add a strip of wood as suggested to keep it even more firmly in one place.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Tue 29th Dec, 2020 11:24 pm

JBean wrote:
Tue 29th Dec, 2020 6:30 pm
The website seemed to be 'down for maintenance' for weeks - but I think it was just that page stuck in my cache, as today I checked and clearly it has been up-and-running again for weeks.
I get that - the forum works OK but the main website says it's down for maintenance, to be honest as it's been like that for ages I'd assumed it had been taken offline so I was rather concerned the forum would disappear at some point.

Do others get the "main" periodproperty.co.uk working normally, or just displaying a maintenance message?

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Wed 30th Dec, 2020 10:52 am

I'd never noticed until now, but like others I now find that the forum is the only bit working. The main page says closed for maintenance, all the other sections give script errors or say they don't work.
It feels as if everyone has turned the lights off and gone home, but the answerphone still works.

Or like that scene in Neville Shute's "On the beach" - the mysterious random morse code was just the key tapping away by itself, operated by a bit of string tied to a flapping window. Everyone else in the world was dead.

YorkshireCottage

Post by YorkshireCottage » Wed 30th Dec, 2020 4:06 pm

I can only see the forum page. I (hopefully) assumed that someone was on fixing it, as the pages on recommended insurers for renovations etc are useful, and I often killed time reading the stories of the Property of the Month.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Wed 30th Dec, 2020 4:36 pm

There are “other sections”? :shock: