Paint sprayer (or other suggestions)

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

RBailey

Paint sprayer (or other suggestions)

Post by RBailey » Tue 24th Nov, 2020 8:04 am

Hi Folks,

Any thoughts or comments on the electric paint sprayers, particularly for chalk / breathable paints?

I dislike painting so anything to make it easier / quicker will be good.
I don't mind masking (except for multi-pane windows) so happy with the prep work needed for spraying.

I have also wondered about a pole roller with a paint feed so any comments on those would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard B.

a twig

Re: Paint sprayer (or other suggestions)

Post by a twig » Tue 24th Nov, 2020 9:56 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15214&p=216144&hilit=Spray#p216144

Earthborn clay paint killed it though - but worked well for limewash

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Tue 24th Nov, 2020 4:58 pm

I think painting windows is easier than masking them! Probably the same with walls. I like restoring guitars and have sprayed quite a few with cellulose lacquer and really wish there were ways of brushing cellulose, but there really aren't. I' not really sure it will save you time as I imagine the mess and washing equipment will be worse than the painting. Paint roller with feed sounds a good idea though!

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Wed 25th Nov, 2020 8:35 am

a twig wrote:
Tue 24th Nov, 2020 9:56 am
Earthborn clay paint killed it though - but worked well for limewash
That's what I fear, It's more like clay slip than clay paint.

plasticpigeon wrote:
Tue 24th Nov, 2020 4:58 pm
I think painting windows is easier than masking them!
For me it depends if it is a splash and dash touch up then I just paint but if it is a full strip and refurb with multiple coats I mask. (A good quality razer scraper makes a big difference for clean up as well.)

I have recently discovered cutting in and sash brushes which I find really help me with crisp lines.
I also love my paint pot. It has a area for scraping brushes, a slopped / ribbed area for mini rollers and a magnet for holding brushes.

Cheers,
Richard B.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Wed 25th Nov, 2020 9:21 am

RBailey wrote:
Wed 25th Nov, 2020 8:35 am
I also love my paint pot. It has a area for scraping brushes, a slopped / ribbed area for mini rollers and a magnet for holding brushes.
That does look rather good. Just a shame it doesn't come with a lid. Still, I have lots of painting to do so could well invest in one...

Paint spraying - my only experience on a house was outside, on a previous pebbledashed house I hired an industrial sprayer to paint the walls. It wasn't worth the effort - by the time I'd masked up doors, windows, the edge of the roof, brickwork at the bottom, next door's cat etc etc - and then at the end of the day had to faff around cleaning the thing - I would have been better off with a paint kettle and a brush.

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Wed 25th Nov, 2020 9:58 am

Feltwell wrote:
Wed 25th Nov, 2020 9:21 am
That does look rather good. Just a shame it doesn't come with a lid. Still, I have lots of painting to do so could well invest in one...
I'd highly recommend one, the magnet for holding brushes is very good.

There is no lid but you can get disposable liners.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Wed 23rd Dec, 2020 12:15 pm

RBailey wrote:
Wed 25th Nov, 2020 8:35 am
Well, I invested in one, and as Richard promised it's very good. I also bought some of the disposable liners.

But, being a tightwad, today I decided to wash one out and reuse it. A top tip though is if you are a tightwad like me, make sure the water isn't too hot, as otherwise they shrivel up in an instant and spray painty water everywhere. :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: :lol:

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Mon 4th Jan, 2021 7:58 am

Thanks for the hot water "tip".
After the dark blue tinted the plastic of the pot :roll: I am going to start using the disposable liners.