Dry Ridge Systems

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

tudorlimes

Dry Ridge Systems

Post by tudorlimes » Fri 4th Dec, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi all, I am hoping someone may have experience or opinions on Dry Ridge roofing systems. My roofer has mentioned that it is an option and that it can be used with reclaimed clay ridge tiles. Has anyone used such a system and are they suitable for a Grade 2 listed property? It sounds good because it naturally ventilates, the work can be done quickly and there is no lime mortar to deteriorate.
Briefly, Our house is in north west Suffolk and unfortunately it has been rather messed about with, it has a cement render externally and lots of gypsum plaster and lining paper with plastic paints inside.
I am hoping to put right past wrongs so would like to not make things worse!
Thanks for any help!

88v8

Re: Dry Ridge Systems

Post by 88v8 » Sun 6th Dec, 2020 10:30 am

I think it partly depends how visible the ridge is.
The systems seem to use edge clips to secure the ridge tiles. These are on show and may be unsightly.

And if the clips are plastic - again, that seems to be the case - what is their life up there in the UV.

Otoh, no mortar to perish.

I would need some convincing, if it were me.

Ivor

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sun 6th Dec, 2020 11:52 am

Hmm, mixed feelings on this one.

Firstly, there's no need to use lime mortar if you do go down the "traditional" wet bedded ridge route - this, and chimney flaunching, are the only 2 areas where I'd actively advise using cement mortar. It needs to be strong and there's no need for breathability.

However - my roof was re covered 16 years ago, and this summer whilst up there for other jobs I did find a couple of the outer ridges on gable ends were loose and needed to be re-bedded. What perhaps I should have done originally was used an admixture like SBR Bond to increase adhesion and flexibility - you can prime the surfaces first with an SBR & Cement slurry for extra bond strength.

If you can get a dry ridge system that uses stainless steel clips & screws I'd be tempted to go for it - up at roof height, once the stainless has dulled, I don't think you'd notice it. What I wouldn't want though is one that relies on plastic clips, they will go brittle and there can be a good bit of uplift generated on a ridge tile in a storm.

tudorlimes

Post by tudorlimes » Thu 10th Dec, 2020 9:06 pm

Thanks for your replies all, interesting thoughts. I will make a decision and may well report back what I decided to do go with!