Red quarry tile restoration (aka polish)

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

RBailey

Red quarry tile restoration (aka polish)

Post by RBailey » Mon 7th Dec, 2020 8:16 am

Hi All,

I have been struggling with our black and red quarry tile floor since we moved in.
Somewhat oddly it is just the red tiles effected, they have had a white residue and a fair few are badly spalled. I have tried a range of chemicals including effervescence treatment, cement remover, heavy duty cleaners, wax remover and multiple multiple washings but to no avail, UNTIL..

I had recalled a paste from days gone by that used to be scrubbed into door steps but googling didn't find anything so I assumed the death of red lead had caused the end of the product. However, I recently cam across this version:
(I know it is potentially sealing the floor with wax but this treatment has been around a very long time so I am happy that it is sympathetic to the floor.)

Here you can see some before and after photographs

Overall it came out quite well and I am very happy with the result.

Hope it might be of interest to some of you.

Cheers,
Richard B.

MatthewC

Re: Red quarry tile restoration (aka polish)

Post by MatthewC » Wed 9th Dec, 2020 2:33 pm

That looks really useful but they only seem to do red wax so what did you use on the black tiles?

I have some black tiles that clearly are not natural black, possible a bit reddish underneath. If I had a solution to renovate those then I would do the entire floor (and save relaying the whole thing in the summer!)

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Thu 10th Dec, 2020 8:36 am

I haven't treated the black yet. The black tiles are okay and not effected (which is odd).

It is a shame they don't do black, I may try black shoe polish but I haven't done that .... yet :lol:

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Sat 12th Dec, 2020 8:45 am

Tableau black tile polish. Also Fiddes of course, who I think do other colours too.
Also Liberon do tile polish.

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Mon 14th Dec, 2020 7:58 am

CliffordPope wrote:
Sat 12th Dec, 2020 8:45 am
Tableau black tile polish. Also Fiddes of course, who I think do other colours too.
Also Liberon do tile polish.
Thanks, Any links would be appreciated.

The red polish I used is very similar to colored shoe polish and Tableau don't do a black version of their floor polish. They do a grate polish but that would need heat to 'cure', wouldn't it?

Fiddes don't seem to do anything other than standard floor treatments on their site. Although they do do a wood floor repair kit with French polish repair waxes.

Thanks,
Richard B

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Mon 14th Dec, 2020 9:20 am

Sorry, I seem to be out of date.
I just had a look in my stockpile of tins, and I have a tin of black Tableau polish looking just like your red one, also a big tub of Fiddes black wax polish which I use on black quarry tiles. Liberon say they do black polish, but it actually seems to mean just polish for black surfaces, not an actual stain.

It does appear that black polish has been banned from the market for some reason, and that all my stocks of old stuff are the last.
It keeps happening. I always thought pink germoline in little old fashioned metal domed tins was the best antiseptic cream for minor cuts. When mine finally ran out I asked in Boots and they said it was withdrawn decades ago. The replacement isn't pink, isn't so thick, doesn't have the same lovely smell, and doesn't work. :)

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Mon 14th Dec, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi Clifford,

Thanks for double checking, you'd got me all excited and hopeful.

Pink family ointment reminds me of my child hood.
after one. two.. three.. Lilly the pink the pink the pink, the savior of the human ra-ace.

Cheers,
Richard B.