Period doorbells - AC & DC?

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Feltwell

Re: Period doorbells - AC & DC?

Post by Feltwell » Thu 10th Dec, 2020 7:36 pm

Flyfisher wrote:
Thu 10th Dec, 2020 4:44 pm
I had exactly the same problem. However, I solved it with a 'smart' IP camera. I used a Hikvision 2CD2142FWD-IS dome camera (I'm sure other makes have similar functions) , which apart from the usual recording functions has various analytics built in to allow movement within a specific area or crossing a user-defined 'virtual line' to trigger a software alarm. That alarm can then be used to trigger other actions such as send an email, take a sequence of photos plus operate a physical relay, the contacts of which can be connected to a suitable bell, lamp or whatever you like.

In my case, the camera is set up to trigger when anything crosses a virtual line across our driveway entrance. This is ideal for when couriers arrive and I'm in the workshop and would miss them. The camera also supports an app on my smartphone (and any PC or tablet of course) so that when alerted I can immediately see the cause of the trigger and respond accordingly, which is handy if was the cat or very often a Muntjac deer.

Just a thought.
That's a very FF solution! :wink: Clever and techie, well it is to a Luddite like me.

Actually, Feltwell the Technophobe here does have a full CCTV system on the house, including a hidden pinhole camera that looks through a hole in an airbrick up at anyone's face if they walk up the drive with hoodie up & head down. It deeply annoys me that I had to fit any of it - Mrs F managed the "little darlings" unit at a local school, and some of the little darlings found out where we lived. Much hassle later, the CCTV system providing clear facial proof of one of the little sods jumping on her car bonnet one night. With that enabling Police intervention in the form of a Youth Order it all stopped, luckily.

Anyhow - it does have some kind of movement alert setting but I think it would bug me coming through to my phone, I just know I'd be sat in a meeting somewhere and it would be going off! I think I've found a solution, bit pricey for what it is but I've not shopped around yet. You can wire this wireless doorbell up so the current wired doorbell triggers it - the trigger unit can be powered from the wired doorbell rather than batteries so I can hide it under the floor. Many similar ones are battery powered, so not suitable for hiding away. Plug the doorbell into a spare socket in the garage and I should be good to go.

https://doorchimesuk.co.uk/catalog/prod ... cts_id=977

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Thu 10th Dec, 2020 7:45 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Thu 10th Dec, 2020 7:21 pm
RBailey wrote:
Thu 10th Dec, 2020 8:41 am
This is what you need for the workshop the Furze doorbell :lol: :lol:
Why do I suspect that Colin is single? Or if not then he will be one day? :wink: His partner, if there is one, must be a very tolerant person....
I like Colin. Colin goes to his shed or bunker to play with his toys. He isn’t in the house. And he probably monetised his youtube channel quite successfully.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Thu 10th Dec, 2020 8:32 pm

Oh yes, I'm sure he makes a decent living from his Youtube stuff.

But do you not think that Mrs / Mr (have to be PC these days!) Furze would be laying in bed snoozing one Sunday morning when Colin decides to test the effectiveness of his new rocket-powered alarm clock? Experimentation on the Furze-partner has got to happen at some point, if it hasn't already.

Mind you I do fancy a go in his souped-up Tuk Tuk! Looks like fun if it can spin the rear wheels that easily.

a twig

Post by a twig » Thu 10th Dec, 2020 9:20 pm

My neighbour has a ring doorbell that notifies his phone every time there is movement.

I used to take great joy in popping round every couple tof hours to wave at it every day when he was on holiday.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Thu 10th Dec, 2020 10:21 pm

When we were having trouble with the little sods I briefly put a battery powered camera up that had a PIR that sent me a very urgent sounding and loud alert and an image every time it saw something. Drove me nuts fairly quickly, it was like living with the world's most easily surprised and panic stricken object:-

Ding! "ARRGGHHH A SPARROW!!!"

Ding! "AARRGGGHHH A CAT!!!"

Ding! "AARRRGGGGHHHHH THE POSTMAN!!!"

Ding! "ONE OF THE KIDS HAS LEFT FOR SCHOOL"

Ding! "OH MY GOD IT'S THE BINMEN!!!"

Ding! "JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, RUN AND HIDE!!"

It was replaced with a proper CCTV system with a recorder very quickly.......

paulc

Post by paulc » Thu 10th Dec, 2020 11:53 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Thu 10th Dec, 2020 7:18 pm
That's really kind of you Paul, and much appreciated - I'd feel guilty at taking up your time though for something so trivial!
It is quite likely that I have something already made up in my box of "bits", so it really wouldn't be a bother. I've also got a bunch of free stamps from work that I would never use otherwise.
Also gives me something to do for five minutes instead of sitting in front of the computer.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Fri 11th Dec, 2020 12:43 pm

paulc wrote:
Thu 10th Dec, 2020 11:53 pm
Also gives me something to do for five minutes instead of sitting in front of the computer.
I've no idea what you mean! :wink:

PM sent, thanks Paul.

YorkshireCottage

Post by YorkshireCottage » Fri 11th Dec, 2020 9:13 pm

a twig wrote:
Thu 10th Dec, 2020 9:20 pm
My neighbour has a ring doorbell that notifies his phone every time there is movement.

I used to take great joy in popping round every couple tof hours to wave at it every day when he was on holiday.
I've been spending too long on Facebook - I looked for the "LIKE" button on this one :lol:
I would probably have thrown things over the wall - cats and the like.

wobs

Post by wobs » Sat 12th Dec, 2020 1:35 pm

RBailey wrote:
Thu 10th Dec, 2020 8:41 am
Feltwell wrote:
Wed 9th Dec, 2020 6:35 pm
if I'm working in the garage with the radio on it's a bit marginal if I hear it or not.
This is what you need for the workshop the Furze doorbell :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrLtoC8nNeA

And a very nice find with the 1920's one.
Impressive, but we just used our old mains door bell, and connected a unit to send a signal to a wireless doorbell for when we are in the garden or garage.

paulc

Post by paulc » Sat 12th Dec, 2020 4:17 pm

This should do the job... Good for 12V ac input...
1.5"x2" square, and 0.5" thick.

Bit too late for posting today, so will have to bung it in a post box Monday.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sat 12th Dec, 2020 7:23 pm

Thanks Paul!

Slight delay now as I wait for the sparky to come out and do the consumer unit move, at which point the current bell will become redundant.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sat 16th Jan, 2021 10:44 pm

Well, all wired in using Pauls' circuit board and working nicely! The old 1900-1920-ish bell is good and loud and sounds old, if that doesn't sound too daft! The ugly consumer unit on full view in our hallway has been replaced by a shiny new one hidden away in the airing cupboard, just need to make good the plaster and patch with a bit of spare wallpaper and the "new" bell can be mounted there permanently.

I also wired in the wireless door chime sender to the circuit, so I could put the receiver in the garage and hear when someone is at the door. Bit of hassle with this one, it triggered OK when the doorbell was pressed but only if the sender was powered by batteries - although according to my multimeter it was within spec, it didn't like being powered by the rectified DC supply to the doorbell. Luckily the house burglar alarm control box is not too far away, the sender was happy when it was powered by the 12v DC supply from that.

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Sun 17th Jan, 2021 11:55 am

Flyfisher wrote:
Thu 10th Dec, 2020 4:44 pm
Feltwell wrote:
Wed 9th Dec, 2020 6:35 pm
I've been looking for an outside bell - can't find one for the life of me. This "new" internal one ( and our current one in fact) is nice and loud in our hallway, you can hear it clearly outside the front door (doesn't stop certain delivery drivers from hammering on the leaded light window in our front door as well though :evil: ), but if I'm working in the garage with the radio on it's a bit marginal if I hear it or not.
I had exactly the same problem. However, I solved it with a 'smart' IP camera. I used a Hikvision 2CD2142FWD-IS dome camera (I'm sure other makes have similar functions) , which apart from the usual recording functions has various analytics built in to allow movement within a specific area or crossing a user-defined 'virtual line' to trigger a software alarm. That alarm can then be used to trigger other actions such as send an email, take a sequence of photos plus operate a physical relay, the contacts of which can be connected to a suitable bell, lamp or whatever you like.

In my case, the camera is set up to trigger when anything crosses a virtual line across our driveway entrance. This is ideal for when couriers arrive and I'm in the workshop and would miss them. The camera also supports an app on my smartphone (and any PC or tablet of course) so that when alerted I can immediately see the cause of the trigger and respond accordingly, which is handy if was the cat or very often a Muntjac deer.

Just a thought.
I decided I needed some security and my policeman son recommended a "Ring" doorbell (yes, that's the brand name, see ring.com) which I was given for Christmas. It does almost exactly the same as the above, and I bought an additional component, a "Chime", as the doorbell rings outside but not inside. It all operates on wi-fi so it just depends whether one's wi-fi signal is strong enough to reach the shed. I recommend "Ring" fully, apart from the fact that the instructions are pretty poor, but I am sure that all members here are more than capable!

Matthew