Lovely house on Rightmove...

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

a twig

Lovely house on Rightmove...

Post by a twig » Thu 10th Dec, 2020 6:47 pm

What a fantastically restored period property currently available on the outskirts of Bath: :twisted:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/98837381

88v8

Re: Lovely house on Rightmove...

Post by 88v8 » Sun 13th Dec, 2020 9:45 am

That frontage is quite James Bond. Is it sinking into the ground, or coming up......

I always think it a great mistake to sell an empty unfurnished house.
If it were me, I'd beg borrow buy or steal furniture pictures rugs pots pans nicnacs, everything required to show it off to best advantage, to make it look like a fully furnished owner-just-popped-out house. And I mean fully, not just a sprinkle of token pieces.
A few hundred spent, or even more, would be very worthwhile.

Ivor

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Mon 14th Dec, 2020 8:04 am

88v8 wrote:
Sun 13th Dec, 2020 9:45 am
That frontage is quite James Bond. Is it sinking into the ground, or coming up......

I always think it a great mistake to sell an empty unfurnished house.
If it were me, I'd beg borrow buy or steal furniture pictures rugs pots pans nicnacs, everything required to show it off to best advantage, to make it look like a fully furnished owner-just-popped-out house. And I mean fully, not just a sprinkle of token pieces.
A few hundred spent, or even more, would be very worthwhile.

Ivor
Yes, I understand the "put your own stamp" but empty rooms just make a house look unloved (and often tired.).

You can actually short term rent furniture either for house dressing or to use. (We did it when we re-located back to the UK and needed furniture between us landing on the plane and our shipping container arriving.)

Cheers,
Richard B.

a twig

Post by a twig » Mon 14th Dec, 2020 12:41 pm

Well given that we had 5 weeks with furnished photos and marketing and not a single viewing, thought we'd change things up a bit...

YorkshireCottage

Post by YorkshireCottage » Mon 14th Dec, 2020 1:18 pm

I know what everyone means about an empty house looking a bit unloved - it does look like you've just moved out so you don't really get an idea of scale in the rooms. I would be tempted to put the last photo as the main image, as the current first image looks a bit messy - water butt etc are distracting. The flags could also do with a tidy up/cutting the turf around them. I know it's really minor stuff, but it all adds to the overall impression. We had to stick half our furniture in the garage when we sold our house - just so the sitting room had sofas/coffee table and none of the usual distractions (sideboard with endless rubbish, massive vase, rocking chair stuffed in the corner etc). Same in the bedrooms - just bed, bedside tables and a wardrobe/dressing table with very minimal stuff on it. Shows buyers how you live - or how you want them to think you live, and how nice their house could look.
Sorry if it's teaching you to suck eggs but have you looked at comparative prices in the area? Where we are houses go on very high, don't 'sell, then get reduced and move at that point. Might be worth dropping the price if you can afford to?

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Mon 14th Dec, 2020 2:47 pm

a twig wrote:
Mon 14th Dec, 2020 12:41 pm
we had 5 weeks with furnished photos and marketing and not a single viewing
Ouch, sorry to hear that.

If you believe the press house prices are booming.

Good luck with the sale.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Mon 14th Dec, 2020 3:31 pm

a twig wrote:
Mon 14th Dec, 2020 12:41 pm
Well given that we had 5 weeks with furnished photos and marketing and not a single viewing, thought we'd change things up a bit...
I see we are “almost neighbours”. Fingers crossed you get some nibbles from buyers soon, one would think it’s a good location and flexible arrangement which would suit a variety of purchasers. I personally prefer a place to be either dressed or absolutely nekkid ( devoid of even a dish sponge ) when it comes to photos, but for a purchase decision those wouldn’t really matter one way or the other.

a twig

Post by a twig » Mon 14th Dec, 2020 6:16 pm

I'm returning tomorrow to instruct a second agent, will take their view and dress/strip house accordingly

Thanks for the kind wishes - missing Somerset already to be honest but needs must

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Mon 14th Dec, 2020 7:02 pm

a twig wrote:
Mon 14th Dec, 2020 6:16 pm
Thanks for the kind wishes - missing Somerset already to be honest but needs must
Where is the Twig residence now then?

a twig

Post by a twig » Wed 16th Dec, 2020 11:06 am

Feltwell wrote:
Mon 14th Dec, 2020 7:02 pm
a twig wrote:
Mon 14th Dec, 2020 6:16 pm
Where is the Twig residence now then?
Surrey - stockbroker belt. Never thought I'd say this but I'm missing the West country accent, turns out its far preferable to a lot of the faux cockney that seems to reside around here, it's like a wannabe Guy Ritchie film at times...

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Wed 16th Dec, 2020 2:01 pm

Ahh, the infamous “Mockney Geezer” - yes, best avoided.