Hearth trim

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

RushupEdge

Hearth trim

Post by RushupEdge » Thu 24th Dec, 2020 12:11 pm

Hi,

Had our hearths re-tiled a couple of months ago. One is around a practical fireplace, the other just a log store.

The tiler actually laid the tiles slightly above floor height (12mm) in the non practical fireplace.

We’re getting to the point where we’re nearly at the point of sanding back our floor boards and wondering what the best way to finish the edging of the hearth is. Most of the beading we’ve seen needs to be laid at the same time as the tiles (which annoyingly wasn’t a conversation our fitter had with us). We had actually asked for this hearth to be tiled level with the floor but this didn’t happen for whatever reason.

Just wondering if there is a period suitable (even just suitable will do!) method of neatening these edges up.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gothichome

Re: Hearth trim

Post by Gothichome » Thu 24th Dec, 2020 1:38 pm

My thoughts, finish your floor up to the tiles then add a bull nose trim to the tile edge in the same wood and finish as the floor. Only downfall is, you may need to shave down the trim for hight if you can not find trim of the same depth.
Ron

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Thu 24th Dec, 2020 2:43 pm

I'd think hardwood beading. Run an angle grinder along the edge of the tiled area to clean up the excess tile adhesive, and stick it on with builders adhesive.

Calum

Post by Calum » Thu 24th Dec, 2020 6:17 pm

I'd go for wood too to be honest, but I'm a tightwad. Plane to thickness, mitre the corners - grand! As above, same colour as the floor boards would look smart.
Or you could get something made in brass or similar if you fancied? (Might be a bit ostentatious)

Am I right in thinking a hearth has to be raised above the floor level now anyway, or in the case of a non combustible floor (concrete or flags for example) there has to be a visible 'boundary'? I would guess the current regs would apply if you got a tradesman in to do a job like this, hence why it is higher than your floor (and why it seems to stick such a long way into the room)

paulc

Post by paulc » Thu 24th Dec, 2020 7:08 pm

Gothichome wrote:
Thu 24th Dec, 2020 1:38 pm
My thoughts, finish your floor up to the tiles then add a bull nose trim to the tile edge in the same wood and finish as the floor.
Which is what I did round my tiled hearth. The only difference is I had 1.5" of height to hide so used 38x20mm bull nose molding fixed with a grab adhesive before putting down the carpet. With only 12mm of height, I'd probably go for a thin square edged strip of hardwood, say about 6mm wide. Doesn't need to be very wider as long as it hides the mortar bed & edges of the tiles.

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Sat 26th Dec, 2020 7:28 am

Wooden quadrant beading, or a more ornate ogee style if you prefer. B&Q etc do softwood (stain) or hardwood mouldings.

Or use a proper wooden or brass fender.

RushupEdge

Post by RushupEdge » Sat 26th Dec, 2020 12:14 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think we’ll give a wooden beading a try once we’ve sanded down the boards.

Will post a follow up when we’re (eventually) done

steveb

Post by steveb » Sun 27th Dec, 2020 2:22 pm

This is a hardwood trim just mitred at the corners and hollowed out on the inside so that a lip overhangs the edge a bit to hide any unevenness.

This is a tadelakt hearth not a tiled one and is a bit more raised than yours, but the principles I assume would still hold.

IMG_20201227_141304065.jpg
IMG_20201227_141304065.jpg (233.63 KiB) Viewed 374 times

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Mon 28th Dec, 2020 8:56 am

Exactly - there are two basic options here. Either minimise the height difference by fitting a small filler piece planed to the height of the tiles, or go for a more traditional fender such as the plain wooden one illustrated. This would obviously emphasise the join rather than minimise it. A nice brass fender would go well round the hearth illustrated.

ElectronicFur

Post by ElectronicFur » Sun 3rd Jan, 2021 12:30 am

The hardwood trim that Steveb posted a picture of is like what we have around our tiled hearth, similarly hollowed out on the inside bottom, and on ours the inside faces are also lined with brass.

Having just the other week replaced the 4 inch square quarry tiles, as quite a few were cracked, I'm pretty sure it's a period way of doing the trim, as it fitted exactly, and the listed marble surround was fixed on top of some of the old tiles.

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Mon 4th Jan, 2021 8:07 am

We have a raised "bolster" (I think that is what they are called) as well.
Ours is moveable and came with the house, seems quite old but not original.
It has the advantage of containing any fire debris and stopping it getting on the floor itself.