Brass chandelier

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

LadyArowana

Brass chandelier

Post by LadyArowana » Thu 7th Jan, 2021 12:13 pm

As part of our re-wiring project we replaced the light fitting in the drawing room. It's left us with a perfectly good 12 arm brass Dutch style chandelier. It wasn't the right style for anywhere else and isn't the sort of thing you can pop in a jar in the garage in case it's useful.

Yes I have asked all the guys working on site, who adopted anything else still in serviceable condition.

Yes I have tried neighbourhood "for sale and free" groups under the "free" heading

Yes I have put it on Freecycle ( one enquiry, a time waster who messed about )

I feel awful that a perfectly good thing is going to end up dumped at the recycling centre. It's in Bath at the moment, and could migrate to London if anyone wanted it there.

If by any remote chance someone is interested then I can send pictures and measurements, the photos are too big to easily attach here.

Easrow

Re: Brass chandelier

Post by Easrow » Thu 7th Jan, 2021 7:39 pm

How about taking it to a reclamation centre?

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Thu 7th Jan, 2021 7:59 pm

Easrow wrote:
Thu 7th Jan, 2021 7:39 pm
How about taking it to a reclamation centre?
My local recycling centre used to have a place where you could put things that were still ok but unwanted, so I shall do that as a last resort. It was always good for a rummage when you were there, felt like finding treasure. I got lots of mugs for the building site, .... and a small Buddha which looked so forlorn I just had to bring him home.

Charity shops won’t take electricals, for safety reasons I believe

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Thu 7th Jan, 2021 8:34 pm

Depends on the charity shop - but, I admit, that would usually be appliances. Our old TV went to the local Age Concern. Worth a Google and a quick call, especially if you've got a charity furniture shop, they tend to take electricals as well.

We've given a lot of stuff away on Freegle and Freecycle, and round here you seem to get a lot less "messers" on Freegle. It *really* annoys me when you give stuff away in good faith and folks mess you about saying they want it and then don't show up to collect it. You do seem to get 2 distinct camps on the free sites - 80% odd are very genuine and grateful, either for monetary or environmental reasons - and 20% think "Oh free stuff", are wasters and mess about. The one that really annoyed me was when I hauled a chest freezer back in my trailer when clearing out the mother-in-laws house, then the bloke who'd been ultra-keen to take it for his new cafe didn't show up and stopped all contact - and I'm stuck with this ruddy great freezer I don't want! Got rid of it by saying it goes to the tip today but if you're nearby I'll drop it off - transport being the issue for most folks.

Freegle has a (sort of - fairly weak) feedback system which helps, Freecycle has nothing. Personally I wish they both had full publicly viewable feedback like Ebay!

I've just given away the electric shower I've taken out of our en-suite - it still worked OK but the case was a bit yellowed with age. A woman who's been on furlough was grateful for it, hers broke six months ago and she hadn't the money to replace it.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Thu 7th Jan, 2021 9:07 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Thu 7th Jan, 2021 8:34 pm
- transport being the issue for most folks.
That’s why I was lucky Big Dave the plumber wanted the almost new fridge freezer and the water softener, because he has a big truck and plenty of big lads :lol:

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Thu 7th Jan, 2021 11:48 pm

Big Dave :lol: Plumbers need to have names like that.

At University I was "Little Geoff" (yes, my mother didn't christen me Feltwell) which most folks think was ironic, given the size of me. It wasn't, because I was studying on the same course as "Big Geoff", who was 6'6" and at least 25 stone, he was huge!

Scary bit was I met his sister one day, she wasn't much smaller :shock:

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Fri 8th Jan, 2021 7:00 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Thu 7th Jan, 2021 11:48 pm

I hope you didn’t remark on the fact, words like “surprisingly sturdy” might be meant as a compliment, but aren’t generally appreciated

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Fri 8th Jan, 2021 9:50 pm

LadyArowana wrote:
Thu 7th Jan, 2021 7:59 pm
Charity shops won’t take electricals, for safety reasons I believe
Often they won't Milady, for the reason you mentioned, but some will. I've donated loads of electrical things to EACH because they have a volunteer electrician who checks them over and PAT tests them before affixing a 'passed' sticker, which apparently meets the requirements for resale. Not that EACH operates in your area but it might be worth explicitly checking with a few local charities, just in case.

It's a shame we're not closer as I'd have been interested in having a closer look. 2021 could well be the year when we finish the final room in our little project and it will be crying out for something substantial in the lighting department. Still, we've waited 13 years so no rush. :lol:

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Fri 8th Jan, 2021 10:50 pm

LadyArowana wrote:
Fri 8th Jan, 2021 7:00 pm
Feltwell wrote:
Thu 7th Jan, 2021 11:48 pm

I hope you didn’t remark on the fact, words like “surprisingly sturdy” might be meant as a compliment, but aren’t generally appreciated
Aren't they? I thought "By 'eck lass, you're built like a brick ***thouse" was perhaps a little direct, but "surprisingly sturdy", well, it's always been one of my better chat up lines...... :wink:

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Sat 9th Jan, 2021 9:31 am

That's a well timed post. I have a ballroom that would work much better with a chandelier and also plan to rewire early this year. I've sent a message. :D

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Sat 9th Jan, 2021 3:43 pm

Hi Malcolm, have emailed you!

Owain

Post by Owain » Sat 9th Jan, 2021 5:20 pm

LadyArowana wrote:
Thu 7th Jan, 2021 12:13 pm
Yes I have tried neighbourhood "for sale and free" groups under the "free" heading
Yes I have put it on Freecycle ( one enquiry, a time waster who messed about )
That's the problem, if you put it as free people assume it has no value.

Bath and London both have lots of people of the chandelier-owning classes. Put it on the antiques section of Ebay at £500 starting price, or even try it in an saleroom auction (when such things return).

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Sun 10th Jan, 2021 8:05 am

Thanks everyone, looks like we’ve found someone here to rehome it. Brilliant result as it seemed a shame to just dump it, particularly when I know that a new poorer quality replacement would be about £800.

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Mon 11th Jan, 2021 3:24 pm

malcolm wrote:
Sat 9th Jan, 2021 9:31 am
That's a well timed post. I have a ballroom that would work much better with a chandelier and also plan to rewire early this year. I've sent a message. :D
Sorry? "I have a ballroom"? That's a phrase not often (ever?) heard on this forum!! :lol: :lol:

YorkshireCottage

Post by YorkshireCottage » Mon 11th Jan, 2021 3:44 pm

Our landlord would, I'm sure, find somewhere to fit it in our current rented house (Georgian, grand). He seems to have an obsession with many-lightbulb chandeliers. 14 bulbs in our bedroom. Bonkers. I spend my life running round turning off lights :D