What do people think of this house

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

plasticpigeon

What do people think of this house

Post by plasticpigeon » Fri 8th Jan, 2021 12:54 am

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/76425534#/

THis house might just be within my budget. I know it is in the middle of a roundabout but I feel that there is probably a very exciting house in there but I'm not sure the magnolia paint is doing much for it.The bit that scares me most is the much modified half timbered wing, which has had its roofline lowered in part in the last 20 years or so as it is different to the listing photo which had the raised section all along the outer wall with the 3 victorian sash windows in it and also a parapet which is not there now. There seem to be windows blocked up, weird unattractive little windows on the first floor, the front looks like it was once jettied but has a load of sticks under the jetty now, and the whole lot looks like the timber frame is made of very thin wood, and I'm not sure what is going on or what it woudl have been like either originally or in around 1800 when it was much modified. Does anyone have any ideas?

Feltwell

Re: What do people think of this house

Post by Feltwell » Fri 8th Jan, 2021 7:14 am

As a building, I rather like it, it's quirky.

However, putting my practical head on, first thoughts would be:-

- It will be a huge money pit without question to put right - even disregarding any potential unauthorised works issues
- It will cost a fortune to heat and run a house like that. With you pushing your budget to buy it, is it then really realistic to run AND do all the repairs?
- do you actually need that much space? You'd need a very large family to fill a house like that.
- Location - I know where that is, and traffic queues around that "roundabout" as it's actually got a junction on it, in fact if you look at Google satellite you can see traffic queuing - and that's right next to the house
- it would be a difficult house to sell on.

You love your period details and "getting it right", including furniture and decoration. I have a horrible feeling that you'd torture yourself in a house that big by never being able to afford to do what needs doing to it or being able to fill it with all the nice items your head will tell you it needs. I suspect you'd be happier in a smaller place, even if it costs the same to buy, as you've more chance to get it how you want it.

Plus - you criticise the location of your current abode, so is the right location not more important to you?

It's a nice house and I can see why you're attracted to it but I suspect it's unrealistic. The trouble with that kind of place is you need pots of money to get it how you want it - and if you've got pots of money then you'd spend more and get a similar building in a better location.

That was quite opinionated wasn't it? :lol: That's the trouble with asking for opinions, people give them :wink:

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Fri 8th Jan, 2021 9:27 am

Thanks Feltwell. You message is more polite than anything I have seen on facebook in the last 15 years!! I have thought about most of the things you describe, and the location is not ideal, but I realise I will have to make compromises somewhere. There are almost no places to do up now either, and most places that I might have liked have been renovated to the max in a way that I really don't like, and I certainly don't want to pay for someone elses idea of popular taste. I know the place is big, but I've never seen the problem with that unless I suppose there are constant repairs. Do you know of any places near you? I am interested in looking around worcester particularly the east side up to south Shropshire near where you are!

Anyone have any thoughts on the timber framed wing?

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Fri 8th Jan, 2021 1:05 pm

Looks big and lots of character, but lots of work. (But work is good :lol: )

There are definitely moisture / damp issues in some of the rooms which could be roof or render / plastic paint related.

I see it has a cellar on the plans, that might give a good insight into the real condition.

You will need a good survey (not from the injected damp course "people"), especially if you need a big mortgage. However, the issues might make it unsuitable for a normal mortgage which might make things more complex / costly.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Richard B.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Fri 8th Jan, 2021 8:02 pm

I think Feltwell hit the nail on the head with the expression Money Pit. As a hobby maybe, but it would still require considerable £ for those trades you can’t cover. If anything changed selling a “half done” project might not get you even what you paid for it.

pip&mims

Post by pip&mims » Fri 8th Jan, 2021 8:11 pm

LadyArowana wrote:
Fri 8th Jan, 2021 8:02 pm
I think Feltwell hit the nail on the head with the expression Money Pit. As a hobby maybe, but it would still require considerable £ for those trades you can’t cover. If anything changed selling a “half done” project might not get you even what you paid for it.
I have to agree with Lady A, having been there and got the t-shirt selling a half-finished project at a loss :cry:

Also, the utility bills/council tax were crippling on a large property (Band G at our last place which was smaller than the one PP is considering!).....

That said, it's a beautiful property with bags of potential and I'm not sure the roundabout location would deter me from at least viewing the place :wink:

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Sat 9th Jan, 2021 12:08 am

Love the house and its potential but couldn't live with the location and since that's the only thing that couldn't be altered to suit then it wouldn't be for me.

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Sat 9th Jan, 2021 2:51 am

What are your thoughts of the integrity of the wooden framed wing facing the road Flyfisher? Isn't your house similar to that part if I remember correctly, as in a half timbered house with Georgian additions?

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sat 9th Jan, 2021 8:29 am

plasticpigeon wrote:
Fri 8th Jan, 2021 9:27 am
Do you know of any places near you?
There's this one in Coalbrookdale, which is a lovely place full of period buildings, very hilly & characterful, lots of nice walks through the surrounding woods, and it's not far to the M54 or the railway at Telford. Being chock full of listed buildings and with Ironbridge next door then the Planners are very strict so it's unlikely to get ruined with new builds - they are building a big development on the old power station site but that's separate & further up the valley,

Not really a project but a nice place that hasn't been messed with too much by the look of it.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/76815858#/

And another, had a lot of character taken out of it internally but not beyond salvation.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/72153495#/

A more in-town location if that's your thing, Bewdley:-

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/49989006#/

No land and it's been messed with, but still quirky and with potential - just check for flooding history!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... ?id=media1

Small but not messed with too much, nice area I believe:-

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/72607533#/

Not a project but not messed with too much, a bit of late Victorian:-

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/76239522#/

This is a great way to avoid doing what I should *actually* be doing on a Saturday morning! :lol:

Coalbrookdale is nice and not too expensive, I've seen some gems in Broseley as well which often gets overlooked. Much Wenlock is a very pretty little town chock full of old buildings. For a bigger town Shrewsbury is lovely but you're talking South-East prices for everything apart from the grotty 1930's council estates on the outskirts. Ludlow is lovely but economically a bit depressed, it's transport links aren't good.

If you really want to be out in the sticks then the villages around Clun, and Clun itself, is lovely. Again only if you could live with the time taken to get anywhere else, but mid Wales, around Rhayader, has nice period properties for not a lot. Welshpool is worth a look and is a bit better for transport.

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Sat 9th Jan, 2021 6:39 pm

plasticpigeon wrote:
Sat 9th Jan, 2021 2:51 am
What are your thoughts of the integrity of the wooden framed wing facing the road Flyfisher? Isn't your house similar to that part if I remember correctly, as in a half timbered house with Georgian additions?
It's pretty much impossible to judge the 'integrity' of the timber frame (assuming you mean the structural condition) from the photos, although there's nothing on show in them that looks of particular concern. Obviously a proper survey by someone with experience and understanding of such buildings would be sensible before purchase.

The original section of our house is close-studded oak frame construction, whereas this one looks as if it has fewer timbers so it is probably a bit younger than ours - not a problem though, just an observation. My understanding is that close-studded frames are structurally strong enough on their own, which is why the panels could be filled in with simple wattle-and-daub, as most of ours are, which would provide little additional strength but didn't need to. As oak became more expensive (due to ship-building demands perhaps, depending on the period dates?), less timber was used and brickwork panel infills became more common. Presumably these would add significant additional strength to the building.

Again, a proper survey should confirm any real problems, though even then surveyors tend to be cautious. After investigating one part of our roof and its connection (or not!) to the roof plate, our surveyor recommended that main roof A-frame and bedroom king-joist (I think that's the correct term) should be immediately supported with props extending through the bedroom floor and the drawing room floor below onto solid ground! Recklessly perhaps, I ignored that advice on the basis that the house had been in poor condition for a few decades and not fallen down, and it took me abour three years to get around to strapping and strengthening the area of the frame in question :lol: Another ten years on and it's still holding together.

As for the additions, ours has a C17 linear addition and a C18 additional at 90 degrees to the main house, with each addition being of different construction and both very obvious. The additions to this house look more 'integrated' so that the overall effect is more 'whole', if you see what I mean. In that respect I think it looks better than ours, probably because as Feltwell stated it looks quirky - in a good way.

There's nothing I can see from the details of the house itself that would put me off taking it on as a project (I guess there rarely is from the EA details!) if that's what I was looking for again (which I'm not - one has been enough!) and given some of the things I've had to tackle with our house there's very little that would faze me now because I've learned that there's nothing that can't be fixed given enough time, money and energy (which you have to trade off according to your budget, ability and inclinations) even if things can look a little scary at first. A good survey will be key.

As for it being just within your budget, I assume you have included a generous allowance in that figure? I think I would want to have at least 50% of the purchase price as a refurbishment/repairs budget. Not all up front of course, but I reckon that's the sort of figure that will be required by the time its finished.

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Sat 9th Jan, 2021 8:13 pm

I share some of the concerns of some members above. I bought my palace for 210k Looked cheap at the time. Same price as a terraced house in the area. Mine also needed a change of use which sort of explains the price.

It wasn't that bad for condition as it had been neglected for 100 years. I had very little cement outside. I did have modern paints outside that were causing damp inside. You can tell what type of paint you have outside as modern waterproof paints go green. Wall is damp, gets cold, attracts condensation and mould. I can see green walls in the photos.

It's the size of my place that bothers me. I've been on it for 7 years on and off and I'm nowhere near. Most of the big things have been done. Roof, exterior etc. The remaining stuff takes the same time as a small house, just repeated many times over and it takes ages. It gets frustrating.

I think I'm far enough through to complete the work. When I sell I'll have a pension fund which should be handy.

I don't think I can offer any advice. Apart from don't rely on the starting price. Offers over can often be a marketeting attraction for houses that might sell for a lot more.

Other than rot in a timber framed building tends to be more problematic at the bottom. If the sole plate has been underground for a while it'll be rotten. Prop the building up and bung a new one in and mess around with ground levels to stop it from happening again.

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Sat 9th Jan, 2021 9:41 pm

Thanks all, I don't think I could afford much more than the start price, and I think the size of the place along with grounds will probably mean it goes for a lot more despite the location, but I will look at it. I don't have contingency built in, just enthusiasm, patience, a willingness to slum it a bit, a fair amount of practical skill and hopefully enough income to keep on top of it.

88v8

Post by 88v8 » Sun 10th Jan, 2021 11:59 am

Love the bay windows.

But.... it's too big... and whatever money you put in will be a sink as the location will cap the value.
Noise, pollution.
Plus the garden to look after, gardens are good but there are only so many hours.
And you will never finish it. It's too big.
Noooo

I agree there are few places to do up. And so many houses that are attractive externally have been white-spaced inside. Grrrr,.
I learned quite by chance that our previous house on which I spent perhaps 30,000 hours has been 'gutted' by the new owners.
So there's another lovely house gone.

But this one is too big and in the wrong place.. as the price tells you. Imho.

Ivor

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sun 10th Jan, 2021 2:42 pm

Although the interior needs lots of work, from the pictures this looks to be in better condition externally, is the same price and in a much better location. Very nice part of the world, and a lot of house for the money. Just don't look at the stairs carpet! :wink:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/82884526#/

And this one, well - I could move in tomorrow. Lovely. Just think what it would cost you in Surrey!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/96591116#/

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Sun 10th Jan, 2021 4:03 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Sun 10th Jan, 2021 2:42 pm
Although the interior needs lots of work, from the pictures this looks to be in better condition externally, is the same price and in a much better location. Very nice part of the world, and a lot of house for the money. Just don't look at the stairs carpet! :wink:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/82884526#/

And this one, well - I could move in tomorrow. Lovely. Just think what it would cost you in Surrey!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/96591116#/
Hmmmm, you aren’t trying to avoid work on that problematic bathroom are you Feltwell?

Because if you are I could ask for some help locating a nice bowl to keep my Nespresso pods in, and any interesting antique or vintage elephants on ebay