What do people think of this house

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

plasticpigeon

Re: What do people think of this house

Post by plasticpigeon » Sun 10th Jan, 2021 4:44 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Sun 10th Jan, 2021 2:42 pm
Although the interior needs lots of work, from the pictures this looks to be in better condition externally, is the same price and in a much better location. Very nice part of the world, and a lot of house for the money. Just don't look at the stairs carpet! :wink:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/82884526#/

And this one, well - I could move in tomorrow. Lovely. Just think what it would cost you in Surrey!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/96591116#/
Both fabulous, but one is under offer, and the other sold, but it is nice to know these places are out there still, even if few and far between. I suppose I could enquire about the Bishops Castle houose even if it is under offer.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sun 10th Jan, 2021 6:22 pm

LadyArowana wrote:
Sun 10th Jan, 2021 4:03 pm
Hmmmm, you aren’t trying to avoid work on that problematic bathroom are you Feltwell?

Because if you are I could ask for some help locating a nice bowl to keep my Nespresso pods in, and any interesting antique or vintage elephants on ebay
On the contrary, I've spent all day running a pressure relief valve outlet pipe from the middle of the house to the outside - a job as mind-bogglingly dull as it sounds. Putting the pipe in is the easy bit, what takes the time is emptying & moving lots of very heavy furniture from a very cluttered child's bedroom, to get the carpet up, to get the floorboards up - to then do it all in reverse at the end of the day, getting you back to a point that looks exactly the same as when you started. All this to run a bit of pipe out of a wall :roll:

Anyhow, looking at houses whilst on a break kept me sane (ish). Mind you, that 2nd house in Sarn, I'm really smitten with that one - Mrs F won't move out into the middle of nowhere though, shame as I would love to be right out in the countryside away from it all. By the time we come to seriously think about moving next it'll be once the kids have gone and we're getting on a bit, Feltwell Towers is definitely not a place to be an old person in, we've stairs everywhere!

I've no taste for choosing Nespresso bowls I'm afraid, in fact I can't stand coffee at all. Sorry. Elephants are nice though.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sun 10th Jan, 2021 6:26 pm

plasticpigeon wrote:
Sun 10th Jan, 2021 4:44 pm
Both fabulous, but one is under offer, and the other sold, but it is nice to know these places are out there still, even if few and far between. I suppose I could enquire about the Bishops Castle houose even if it is under offer.
Worth a phone call. It was meant as an illustration of what £400k can get you if you look out into the Shropshire / Wales border. When I moved here the transport links were important, how times change, now I work from home most of the time even without Covid, and when I'm out & about it can be anywhere in the country, so half-decent broadband is the main requirement. Certainly opens your options up, not that I can move.

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Sun 10th Jan, 2021 7:45 pm

I think many people are in your position now, including me, so it makes rural properties more appealing and therefore more expensive, but still cheaper than towns and cities.

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Sun 10th Jan, 2021 8:04 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Sun 10th Jan, 2021 6:22 pm
On the contrary, I've spent all day running a pressure relief valve outlet pipe from the middle of the house to the outside - a job as mind-bogglingly dull as it sounds. Putting the pipe in is the easy bit, what takes the time is emptying & moving lots of very heavy furniture from a very cluttered child's bedroom, to get the carpet up, to get the floorboards up - to then do it all in reverse at the end of the day, getting you back to a point that looks exactly the same as when you started. All this to run a bit of pipe out of a wall :roll:
I feel your frustration! Many so-called 'plumbing' or 'electrical' jobs are really nothing of the sort and are more like full-on building jobs! I recently had a new limecrete floor laid complete with UFH but the pipes to be connected to the CH system are currently coiled up in the cellar awaiting the creation of a suitable route through the cellar wall, into the adjacent room's suspended floor then out through the original wall into the 'plant room' that is part of the kitchen extension. OK, there's no furniture involved, but it certainly means a lot of work for a few metres of pipework all of which will be invisible when the job is finished. Ah well, goes with the territory I guess ;)

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Sun 10th Jan, 2021 8:33 pm

Back to houses though, here's one not too far from us:

Back in 2014 it was for sale at £1.5m
https://www.edp24.co.uk/lifestyle/prope ... -5m-714862

All very nice but serious money. So how about if it was almost half price? Well that's what it sold for in 2018!
https://www.struttandparker.com/properties/rokeles-hall

Just goes to show how difficult it can be to value these sorts of very individual homes.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sun 10th Jan, 2021 8:52 pm

Flyfisher wrote:
Sun 10th Jan, 2021 8:04 pm
I feel your frustration!
Yes, the "nothing much to show for it" jobs are the worst. Mrs F wanted a CCTV system putting in a while back, which I groaned at - it was only a few weeks later when the house was in total chaos as I spent the whole weekend just putting the cables in that she appreciated why I groaned. Cables and pipes invariably involve causing chaos in multiple rooms as well!

The other frustrating one I find is fixing things like the washing machine. After several hours you'd think you'd have the satisfaction of it working again, but that's short lived - and then it's "I'm back to where I was yesterday when it was working fine" and you've made no tangible progress.

Ahh well, first world problems. The hall you posted is a good illustration of the risk in unusual properties - you need a niche buyer, and if you can't find one then the only option is to drop the price and go into a price band that other buyers might consider.

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Mon 11th Jan, 2021 2:14 am

88v8 wrote:
Sun 10th Jan, 2021 11:59 am
Love the bay windows.

But.... it's too big... and whatever money you put in will be a sink as the location will cap the value.
Noise, pollution.
Plus the garden to look after, gardens are good but there are only so many hours.
And you will never finish it. It's too big.
Noooo

I agree there are few places to do up. And so many houses that are attractive externally have been white-spaced inside. Grrrr,.
I learned quite by chance that our previous house on which I spent perhaps 30,000 hours has been 'gutted' by the new owners.
So there's another lovely house gone.

But this one is too big and in the wrong place.. as the price tells you. Imho.

Ivor
I'm sorry to hear your old place has been "gutted", it must be heartbreaking. I remember how beautiful it was with such attention to detail. I wish people would just buy places that they like, there are plenty of bland boxes around, but not many left with charm and history intact.

Monty

Post by Monty » Mon 11th Jan, 2021 8:42 am

As someone who moved to the countryside between Bishop's Castle and Sarn only a year ago, I can certainly vouch for how beautiful the landscape is and how friendly the people are. A few months later I found myself working from home due to the pandemic, and not in the office in Northampton, which has been great - although now when I should be working I do keep finding more jobs to do!

There are still houses that come on the market around here, South Shropshire / Powys border that are relatively untouched (ours was last 'improved' in the 198o's) and the area is lucky to have such a variety of forms from timber frame, stone or brick, or a combination of all three. It all just adds to the character of the place.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Mon 11th Jan, 2021 1:05 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Sun 10th Jan, 2021 6:22 pm

I've no taste for choosing Nespresso bowls I'm afraid, in fact I can't stand coffee at all. Sorry. Elephants are nice though.
No worries, the bowl I nearly bought a year ago was still available, so I made a deal on it. Of course it’s still way too big :lol: but I never let a little thing like practicality ruin my life

YorkshireCottage

Post by YorkshireCottage » Mon 11th Jan, 2021 3:51 pm

Lovely house, but I bet every job you start will turn into a can of worms. If it's already pushing your budget, I would walk away. There's nothing worse, and more stressful, than knowing what work you have to do but not having the funds. The location is also not ideal and will make the house difficult to sell on - unless you are planning to stay there forever, but do you really want to live in the middle of all that traffic?
It's the kind of thing I look at and think "woohoo" then put my practical head on and close the page.

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Wed 13th Jan, 2021 4:03 pm

I went to see it today and I'm glad I did as it has got it out of my system. Huge, lovely, but cement everywhere and lots of rotting wood. I think it would need new sole plates all round and a lot of other woodwork would need to be replaced too. Pretty much everything needed a repair of some sort.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Wed 13th Jan, 2021 4:30 pm

plasticpigeon wrote:
Wed 13th Jan, 2021 4:03 pm
I went to see it today and I'm glad I did as it has got it out of my system. Huge, lovely, but cement everywhere and lots of rotting wood. I think it would need new sole plates all round and a lot of other woodwork would need to be replaced too. Pretty much everything needed a repair of some sort.
Good that you put the idea to rest. It will be interesting to see what happens to it. There’s a house I walk by quite frequently which hasn’t had any proper maintenance done for decades and just before Christmas there were removal trucks taking things out, so clearly “something” has changed. It doesn’t appear to be for sale and will be a huge project, listed and at least 5 storeys. Broken windows, almost derelict, nothing that £750,000 wouldn’t cure of course :lol:

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Thu 14th Jan, 2021 9:41 am

As you say, good to get it out of your system, stop you thinking "but what if...."

There will be others!

Meanwhile, what I think of my own house has improved somewhat for having working heating & hot water once again, with a nice shiny new boiler, enormous hot water cylinder and Carlos Fandango fancy new control system, which does seem to be very good. Nice to wake up to a warm house today!

YorkshireCottage

Post by YorkshireCottage » Thu 14th Jan, 2021 12:22 pm

plasticpigeon wrote:
Wed 13th Jan, 2021 4:03 pm
We fell for a grade II* listed place in Autumn 2019. Unfortunately it took us 6 months (and offer, acceptance, negotiations, surveys, quotes, spreadsheets) to realise that we couldn't afford to do it up (even to a basic standard) as, although we had a healthy budget, the cost price meant we were looking at at least a £200k shortfall to do the essentials. With hindsight, we're glad we pulled out as the stress of it would have killed us.