Period sheds

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

plasticpigeon

Period sheds

Post by plasticpigeon » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 10:49 am

I wish to put a shed at the bottom of my garden to put the wheelbarrow, bicycles, lawnmower and other random stuff in. I can grow stuff up it to hide it from view and would maybe put a bug house on the roof. This will not be a work of art just functional. Do people here have any suggestions about whether a wooden or metal shed is better please?

RBailey

Re: Period sheds

Post by RBailey » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 12:46 pm

We have a metal shed that is surrounded be a wooden log store and chicken run.
The log store and chicken run have weather and blend in, the metal shed hasn't weathered at all so is a bit incongruous.

Cheers,
Richard B.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 12:50 pm

Metal sheds tend to suffer from condensation I've heard. They also get damn hot in summer!

I built a timber garden workshop at my previous house, using corrugated bitumen sheets for the roof. Worked well - insulation made a significant difference, one half was storage and was uninsulated, the other half was my workshop and was insulated, in summer the storage part got hot but no damp issues were ever evident.

As always good cross ventilation - I left the corrugations at the eaves open - makes a difference.

It's on the future Feltwell to do list, a garden shed, but as I've got loads of bricks and roof tiles I'll be using those and going for the "Victorian outbuilding" look.

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 1:14 pm

If I stay here long enough and have the inclination I also plan to make a small outbuilding to house a lathe as an extension to the brick "sheds" behind my house which were a tool store, toilet and coal shed as I have loads of reclaimed bricks and quarry tiles etc. I have almost finished my loft workshop too. Probably a silly time to move. The garden shed will be just functional and at the bottom of the garden. I hadn't thought about condensation but now you mention it I can see that could be a problem. I shall look for a wooden one and paint it to blend in I think.

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 4:43 pm

Design your own and build it yourself. Unless you will pay for something really good and expensive, the normal things are really quite poor in my experience. I found that I could build a shed exactly the size I wanted/could fit in the space for not a lot more than the not-very-cheap sheds from well known stores. And my shed has a slate roof, after I realised that all roofing felt deteriorates rather quickly (10 years?) and other more modern things like plastic tiles work out to be quite expensive by the time you have also boarded the ceiling for them to lie on. The slate wasn't a lot more.

I have actually done two sheds: one (10' x 8') was my own design and construction from start to finish, and the other was originally a 7' x 5' thing with a flimsy floor and lean-to roof. I bought it in a hurry in 2011 as I needed something for storage, and in 2019 I rebuilt it into 8' x 6' with a stronger floor and a higher ridge roof so I don't bash my head on it (as I did with the lean-to), again with slate. Most satisfying.

Matthew

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 6:30 pm

I've never had a metal shed and would definitely go for a wooden one, just for the look of it really, but I'm curious about the condensation risk with a metal shed - does it really happen and if so under what conditions?

I'd expect the temperature of the shed metal to track the ambient temperature, so can't really imagine a condensation risk, or at least not one particularly worse than a wooden shed, which would also track the ambient temperature. For condensation to occur wouldn't the shed metal have to be lower than the ambient temperature? How would that happen unless it was fitted with air-con ;)

Once of my outbuildings has a large metal roller door and I've never noticed it to have any condensation - inside or out. Perhaps I'm not paying attention?

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 6:41 pm

I don't quite get the condensation thing either, but I 've heard it before - just Googled "Metal Shed Condensation" and it returns lots of hits on how to reduce it, so it's clearly not unknown. I guess it's more obvious than on wood?

All I can think is that the sun hits the roof and one side of the shed, which warms the interior air so it carries more moisture, which then hits the cold spots the sun hasn't warmed and causes condensation? A metal shed will heat up & cool down pretty quickly with the sun.
Flyfisher wrote:
Fri 15th Jan, 2021 6:30 pm
One of my outbuildings
Now you're just showing off :wink:

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 7:49 pm

After I posted that I thought about dew forming so I guess it can happen thought I don't really understand why a metal shed would be more prone to the problem. I tend to agree with you that it's probably more noticeable in a metal shed than a wooden one - a bit like a stone floor feeling colder than a carpeted one, even though they're both at the same temperature.

As for the outbuildingS, sorry about that. :oops:
There is actually only one (though admittedly quite extensive) but as it's divided into different areas and has more than one door I tend to think of it in the plural. :wink:

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 8:04 pm

I can exclusively reveal Flyfisher's "quite extensive" multi-doored outbuilding :wink:

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 8:23 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Fri 15th Jan, 2021 8:04 pm
I can exclusively reveal Flyfisher's multi-doored outbuilding :wink:
Sigh, now I feel like I’m working on renovating a hovel, what with other folks here having ballrooms and multi doored outbuildings!

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 8:28 pm

Join me in the slums LadyA :(

I just haven't got the balls to get a ballroom.

a twig

Post by a twig » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 8:50 pm

Had a metal shed at the last place, never again, horrendous condensation!

I ended up taking the roof off again and putting roofing membrane on then putting the roof back on so that all the the condensation would be caught by the membrane and then run out through the eaves.

Noisy whenever it rained and a pain in the proverbial to build, steer well clear.

All structures since have been timber with posts etc isolated from the floor to prevent rot

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 9:25 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Fri 15th Jan, 2021 8:04 pm
I can exclusively reveal Flyfisher's "quite extensive" multi-doored outbuilding :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Close, although it's the single storey 'bungalow' version. The formal fountain has given me an idea though . . . :wink:

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 9:29 pm

a twig wrote:
Fri 15th Jan, 2021 8:50 pm
Had a metal shed at the last place, never again, horrendous condensation!
Fair enough, happy to stand corrected. Are the plastic ones similarly prone to condensation I wonder?
I wonder if the roof felt on a wooden shed helps to reduce condensation?

Anyway, we're talking period property here so surely a wooden shed is the only acceptable choice.
Preferably with an oak timber frame :wink:

a twig

Post by a twig » Sat 16th Jan, 2021 9:25 am

Plastic not quite so bad in my experience, place before before had a plastic shed, was able to manage moisture just by adding additional air vents in the "gables"

Completely agree, in an ideal world a beautiful green oak frame, pegged joints etc 😁 - my reality though is treated pine frame and feather edge cladding although my wife is requesting an upgrade to waney edge for daughters "summer house" which is due to start construction in the spring :D