WIBO electric heaters

Topics archived from the Period Property UK discussion forum

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Bryan Wall

WIBO electric heaters

Post by Bryan Wall » Tue 13th Jul, 2004 10:06 am

Does anyone on this forum have any experience of WIBO electric heaters? I am thinking of installing them in my one bed Victotain conversion and would like to know any opinions about their preformance etc. They are very expensive!

thanks

Bryan

Anne Lea

Re: WIBO electric heaters

Post by Anne Lea » Tue 3rd Aug, 2004 11:30 am

I am thinking about substituting WIBO for my rusty old electric storage heaters in my small period cottage. Has anyone done this. My cottage will not accommodate conventional boiler and radiators. If you have, how efficient have they been?

Bryan Wall

Post by Bryan Wall » Tue 3rd Aug, 2004 11:45 am

Haven't actually had them installed yet - although we have ordered 2 for our flat. They are very expensive though but from what I have read from customer comments that the salesman showed us they are very good, but not necessarily as efficient as they might make you think.

I think the main advantage for us is the ability to just plug them in to a normal socket - but be careful if you are installing quite a few as you may overload your 30 amp rating for your socket circuit. Also the digital thermostat and control system seems to be far far far better than storage heaters are, with accurate control of temperature throughout the whole of the day.

I did notice that a similar system has been developed by Dimplex recently - called duo heat, it is a combination of a storage heater and convection heater. They are cheaper than WIBO heaters, but still require separate wiring and economy seven meter for the storage part of the heater, which WIBO does not need.

Hope this helps!

Bry

Lynne Elder

Post by Lynne Elder » Thu 5th Aug, 2004 9:54 pm

I'm about to spend over 8 grand on them...so I hope they are good! Well, it means that I don't have to put a separate oil boiler into the cottage of the main house plus pipe work and rads etc...

Before I commit (this Saturday) I would really appreciate it if someone does have constructive comments about them..

Thanks!

Number 51

Post by Number 51 » Thu 5th Aug, 2004 10:21 pm

Do a search on posts by Aidan, he has provided excellent information on the relative efficiency of electric heating generally.

Geoffrey

Lynne Elder

Post by Lynne Elder » Fri 6th Aug, 2004 12:44 am

Thanks Geoffrey - searched and found sound advice... Lynne

Bryan Wall

Post by Bryan Wall » Wed 11th Aug, 2004 9:26 am

Hi Lynne

To save me time searching, what did you find out from these posts about electric heating?

Thanks

Bryan

Michael Skinley

Post by Michael Skinley » Sat 14th Aug, 2004 10:30 am

Why not get the WIBO rep to give you names and addresses of existing WIBO customers who have direct experience for you to contact?

If you have any problems, then contact me and I can give you some.

I am SW Regional Manager for WIBO and know WIBO from my 30 years spent in Germany before I joined them. The heaters do all that they say they will, especially if you use the thermostat correctly.

Liz Lindars

Post by Liz Lindars » Fri 8th Oct, 2004 10:15 pm

Oh hello! - I thought I had the only period cottage with wibo heating! I am new to the system installed by a Dutch lady who revamped my cottage before selling. No space for boilers - miss my gas heating from my old flat. Any tips / advice / help if it all goes wrong greatfully received!

Jim Blessett

Post by Jim Blessett » Tue 26th Oct, 2004 12:09 pm

We blought a Wibo 2kw "power-pack" some 4 years ago, principally to heat a 17th century shop.

The sales talk was very convincing, and the technician adamant that the Wibo heater would be more than adequate for this premise.....just what we wanted to hear, of course.

4 years later, we are very disillusioned. This heater is far from adequate, and having recently taken it to bits...one of the heating elements failed....it is very difficult to see why Wibo charges such an enormous amount for what is simply another convection heater,albeit with a thermostat. The miracle components, the fire-clay core, which we expected to see inside the unit are not there, just two heating elements.

Worth the money? Think how many other convector heaters you can buy for the same price.

Magnus Ritson

Post by Magnus Ritson » Thu 18th Nov, 2004 5:07 pm

Can you give me the contact details of WIBO

Dave Selway

Post by Dave Selway » Sun 5th Dec, 2004 6:11 pm

We have recently purchased a small house equipped with a WIBO electric heater.

We are having difficulty in getting it to work and as this is now winter and we live in NE Scotland could anyone help with a contact for a local WIBO technician please?

Bryan Wall

Post by Bryan Wall » Tue 7th Dec, 2004 10:15 am

The uk WIBO website is here (it's cr*p by the way):

http://www.wibo-werk.com/eng/sites/index_ger.htm

The uk office number is:

0208 795 4733

Bry

Dave Selway

Post by Dave Selway » Tue 7th Dec, 2004 6:18 pm

Bry,

many thanks, we shall speak to them and see if we gain any support.

Best regards

Dave

Paul Harris

Post by Paul Harris » Thu 24th Feb, 2005 7:44 pm

Hello Michael.
Just been searching for info on wibo heaters & found your message. I live near portsmouth & am looking for wibo spares. Can you help me please.
Many Thanks, Paul Harris.