Cleaning bitumen-covered flagstone floor

Topics archived from the Period Property UK discussion forum

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Jonathan Parry

Cleaning bitumen-covered flagstone floor

Post by Jonathan Parry » Sun 18th Sep, 2005 4:35 pm

I have a large flagstone covered hall in a Grade 2 listed Georgian farmhouse. It has been covered in carpet for many years, but I now would like to expose and return them to their former glory. Unfortunately, underneath the carpet they are covered in some sort of bitumen, which is quite thin and which resulted in a black sticky mess when I tried to clean then with a stone cleaning solution.
I hope someone out there has some advice for me!!

NT

Re: Cleaning bitumen-covered flagstone floor

Post by NT » Sun 18th Sep, 2005 5:52 pm

Trying to clean off bitumen is a real bitumen. Lets hope its not that. It dissolves in paraffin, so theres something to try.

NT

Sue Wilkinson

Post by Sue Wilkinson » Mon 19th Sep, 2005 12:46 pm

I've cleaned it off the back of wood blocks with a sharp chisel. Running the chisel along at an angle shatters the bitumen off. If its not too thick on the floor try something like that. I even bought a power scraper, which does the job easier than the chisel, but gave me problems with the vibration on my arms. It might work for you.

Sue

Samantha Graham

Post by Samantha Graham » Thu 12th Jan, 2006 1:32 pm

Did you resolve your problem, if so how, as I am having just the same issue. If you could let me know

lee w

Post by lee w » Fri 13th Jan, 2006 12:21 am

SANDBLASTING
spent weeks and weeks and weeks scraping and chipping asphelt and bitumen and red paint off the flags . £350.00 done in one day looks like new .
but filled the house with sand dust

Old Thatch

Re: Cleaning bitumen-covered flagstone floor *LINK*

Post by Old Thatch » Fri 13th Jan, 2006 9:07 am

Contact Strippers Paint removers for advice

www.stripperspaintremovers.com

stuart andrews

Post by stuart andrews » Mon 17th Apr, 2006 3:22 pm

Sand blasting sounds great. Can you tell me who did the sand-blasting? I have the same problem.

Moo

Post by Moo » Mon 17th Apr, 2006 5:20 pm

Contact Strippers first. May well be cheaper, and you don't get the dust.
(By the way, have you tried Nitromors? I don't know how it is with bitumen and the like, but it made short shrift of the nasty paint on our flagstones. Try it out on a test patch - you might have a pleasant surprise.)

MDE

Post by MDE » Mon 17th Apr, 2006 9:20 pm

Don't use Nitromors! It just makes the bitumen soak into the stone, then you'll never get it off. Try one of the Strippers products (see their web site for advice).

Moo

Post by Moo » Tue 18th Apr, 2006 10:14 am

I take it all back.

Listen to MDE and go straight to Strippers.

R King

Post by R King » Tue 18th Apr, 2006 12:15 pm

I managed to remove bitumen of stone with an Ecover product. It was a degreaser based on orange and worked miracles on my stone work. This was the last product I tried after trying other harsh chemicals which did not work nearly as well.

The product smells nice, is environmentally friendly and is safe to use too.

peter

Post by peter » Tue 18th Apr, 2006 1:32 pm

I used a Strippers product on black bitumen stains in my kitchen quarry tiled floor, it was fantastic but expensive and very very strong (be careful not to inhale or splash it on your skin!!!).

Peter