Kling Strip paint stripper

Topics archived from the Period Property UK discussion forum

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Charles

Kling Strip paint stripper

Post by Charles » Sat 24th Sep, 2005 2:06 pm

Hi everyone.

I have 3 and a half tubs of kling strip paint stipper that I don't need any more.
I live on the south coast near portsmouth.

If anyone wants it please email me.

If you'd like to know what Kling Strip is, please read below:

Kling strip is great for removing lead paint with no toxic fumes. You just apply it (paste) and then cover with cling film for a little while and then wash it off together with the paint.

ingrid

Re: Kling Strip paint stripper

Post by ingrid » Wed 15th Mar, 2006 10:10 pm

Do you still have the kling strip. I was looking for some to strip my skirting boards. Would you recommend it?

Antwerpman

Post by Antwerpman » Thu 16th Mar, 2006 7:00 am

I have used Kling strip (last week in fact) and I think it is very good. Compared to nitromorse and the like it is very different in both its physical characteristics and how it works.

As said you simply apply it (with a small trowel), cover with cling film and leave for a day or more.

Taking it off is a little messy but not terrible, most of it you can `scrape` off (not as with nitromorse but just using something to lift off the thick of the paste, not scraping the wood) and then wash off the residue. It is this last bit which is the messy part (but not very if you are careful)

I actually found the best results were obtained using a good heat gun to take off the thick top layers/gloss and then using the Kling strip. This gives wood which then looks like it has never been painted - great result!

Look at the site for the suppliers of Kling strip, it is not so expensive and they do deliver. I reckon an 18kg tub (10 Litres) would do the skirtings on a 5m x 5m room quite easily

David Penrose

Post by David Penrose » Thu 16th Mar, 2006 7:16 pm

Ingrid - I have found Klingstrip excellent for stripping paint off hardwood beams, doors, etc. However, I am less satisfied with the results it gives on softwood - are your skirtings softwood?
I find that it tends to darken the colour of softwood, and to leave the surface a bit "woolly".