Personal HIPS experiences - please let us know.

Selected topics that have generated a lot of interest.
biffvernon

Re: Personal HIPS experiences - please let us know.

Post by biffvernon » Fri 23rd May, 2008 12:48 pm

And from the same thread:
We had our EPC done, the inspector was very polite but to be honest it was such a waste of money and time, He ticked all the boxes, (we live in an 17c timber-frame cottage) Double glazing YES, Loft insulation YES (but he didn't look in the loft) Cavity wall insulation YES, Energy save light bulbs YES,
Secondary heating YES (Wood-burner).

A couple of weeks later we got the report and it was rated E with no mention of the insulation etc., I rang up the inspector and he said... 'Oh yes, well unfortunately the software package that we use has pick lists so when I put in 17c timber-frame cottage the software automatically fills in most of the expected characteristics associated with the properties age, this assumed information is programmed in and it cannot be changed...so...um...sorry!

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri 23rd May, 2008 1:11 pm

I think a statement to that effect should be issued with these things... and I think I would ask for my money back on the grounds it was wasted on an inaccurate report.

Penners

Post by Penners » Fri 23rd May, 2008 2:31 pm

Nemesis wrote:I think I would ask for my money back on the grounds it was wasted on an inaccurate report.
Not to mention pointless, useless and of no interest whatsoever to buyers.

Our house has now been on the market for a month (no sale yet - needless to say), and the agent and I both have the same story to tell about the HIP. Not one of the 7 viewers of the property has asked to see it. It just sits in a drawer at the agent's office and in my desk, gathering dust.

Still - it was only £350.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

chuckey

Post by chuckey » Tue 10th Jun, 2008 7:35 pm

A friend of mine has put up his Mother-in-laws house for sale. He had to get a HIPs, Hips provider said, now you have engaged us the property can go up for sale. We will arrange a survey by-and-by. (???) His estate agent said up to now (28th may) no purchaser had asked to see a HIP.
My mate says its only for the Council to get the facts on their housing stock for re-rating them for council tax without having to pay for the survey themselves. I asked where he had got this from - no reply.
Does the Council see the HIPs surveys? Does the Dept of the Environment see them?
Frank

Penners

Post by Penners » Thu 12th Jun, 2008 11:52 am

chuckey wrote:Does the Council see the HIPs surveys? Does the Dept of the Environment see them?
Not to my knowledge. And bear in mind that the Home Condition Report is not yet a requirement of the HIP. So all it really consists of for the time being is the energy assessment and the searches. Not much to go on, for re-rating purposes.

Hatster

Post by Hatster » Fri 13th Jun, 2008 1:24 pm

Well, we may be unique, but the HIP for the house we're buying now was very useful, and included a lot of extra information that hadn't been in the surveys. (A previous buyer had dropped out, so we were actually given the surveys on our second viewing - there were two surveys as one was looking at whether there was a problem with asbestos, which there wasn't). The energy assessment in the HIP wasn't particularly useful, as it contained stuff which is common sense if you take an interest in these things - we were already planning from the survey and viewings to insulate the loft better and put in energy efficient lightbulbs. However, it did contain all the info about what the planning consent was for the other houses around this house (including that a window looking out onto our garden that we'd been worried about had to be opaque glass), and flagged up that there is still one more building to go up which hasn't yet been built, which was well worth knowing, and which was old enough that I hadn't picked up on it from checking the planning permission for the locality online.

Penners

Post by Penners » Fri 13th Jun, 2008 3:07 pm

Well, I suppose there had to be one... :wink:

jocelyn plummer

Post by jocelyn plummer » Sun 20th Jul, 2008 9:49 pm

An Inspector came last Friday to carry out the necessary Energy Inspection for the house which we are currently renting. He was here for no more than 30 minutes and admitted that he thinks it all a waste of time, since, according to him 'nobody reads them'!

Hatster,you were lucky to find your report of use. The house, we are STILL trying to buy has been on the market since before HIP s were required.
In our case, it might have helped to prevent a particularly nasty situation which has arisen for us. Access to the garage of this property was denied until we insisted before our third viewing. It revealed asbestos. Shilly - shallying and woolly representations by the Agent who was obviously hoping we would not find out/recognise asbestos has resulted in an unfortunate understanding between us and the Vendor who assumed that our offer STSC (of three weeks before seeing the garage) had taken the asbestos into consideration. So its delay after delay after delay.

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Mon 6th Apr, 2009 9:22 am

HIP rules are now a bit tighter, apparently, and something called a Property Information Questionnaire (PIQ) is now added to the list of vendor requirements.

Good old Nanny State; I'm sure potential buyers wouldn't have thought of asking the PIQ questions on their own initiative :roll:

The questions regarding flooding are priceless:
7. Are you aware of any flooding at your property since you have owned it or before: YES/NO
8. Have you checked the freely available flood risk data at the Environment Agency's website: YES/NO
8a. If YES, give details
8b. If NO, the buyer is advised to check the Environment Agency website for an indication of flood risk in the area.

Penners

Post by Penners » Mon 6th Apr, 2009 12:35 pm

Oh dear.... :roll:

AMc

Post by AMc » Mon 20th Apr, 2009 6:06 pm

I can't see any real problem with it, not everyone has bought or sold before so some basic hand holding will prevent some costly mistakes. Looks like a bunch of things my solicitor asked on my behalf once upon a time.

There do seem to be some obvious things - like I'd like to know if the property is on mains OR a private water supply. The fact that there are taps confirms one or the other (or a real crook developer) but there is a difference ;)

Given the fondness of planners to allow development on flood plains the flooding questions seem to be entirely appropriate. My parents looked at a house which had the garage converted into an office despite the building having previously flooded and the garages forming part of the defence...

danjennings

Post by danjennings » Mon 24th Aug, 2009 12:15 pm

Ive just had a hips on my grade 2 listed small place in essex which i put up for sale - the guy that was booked to do the inspection knew nothing about period house and i helped in fill in most of the info himself - i would seriously question whos doing your hips and enquire about their knowledge of period homes.
Why when armed with a hips do all the same old questions still get asked by solicitors, what purpose does hips serve - ill tell you - the energy rating survey which will become another stealth tax but this government, as i ready with reagrd ratings, possibly meaning that our beutiful period homes in the future will be jam packed full of double glazing and those beautiful energy saving lightbulbs.
Speak to any estate agent and they will tell you hips is a complete waste of time.
phew ! thats better :D

Moo

Post by Moo » Tue 1st Sep, 2009 5:13 pm

danjennings wrote: as i ready with reagrd ratings,
Translation, please

:? :)

marry

Post by marry » Mon 9th Aug, 2010 9:32 am

I am just thinking for it.... :roll:

EricD

Post by EricD » Sun 31st Oct, 2010 1:16 am

There's been a lot of discussion about the benefits of this new law. Where sellers now have the extra expense and hassle of compiling a Hip, buyers may win out by having more information at their finger tips when making decisions about buying a property.