Personal HIPS experiences - please let us know.

Selected topics that have generated a lot of interest.
Inspector John

Post by Inspector John » Sun 2nd Sep, 2007 8:26 pm

Thank you for that....I'm glad and happy that your aim is not at me or my fellow associates. I quite understand how you feel, Believe me and many when I say that a good party in the local brewer is one I would avoid if any government was to organising one (if you know what I mean) I would predict the ale would be a tad off.
As Re your question
In the report, a ground floor is regarded as a heatloss floor and the age of the property is taken into account in the software calculations, regardless of what may have been done unfortunately..

The walls as you have said are timber framed and insulated
However we are advised that in certain circumstances it may be inappropriate and inadvisable i.e your C18th East Anglian oak-framed house for any recommendations as re wall insulation
Your rating will be possibly low but that is reflected in the age, type, and structure and would be taken into account

Inspector John

Post by Inspector John » Sun 2nd Sep, 2007 8:54 pm

One other thing I need to mention is if you have any invoices to say that the cavity walls are insulated, then this is reported in the software calculations That would increase your rating...
Ps I'm away and busy for most of the week, so I am unable to post, however please continue posting and I will do my utmost asap to answer your Q's the best way possible..

Gervase

Post by Gervase » Sun 2nd Sep, 2007 10:29 pm

Oh dear - so, like the current approved docs for building regs, it would appear the the criteria for HIPs are based on modern buildings, and are essentially irrelevant to older houses. Which means that the casual 'Country Living' buyer will have fifty fits when confronted with the report on their dream cottage and probably commission all sorts of damaging work.
Groan!
I did look at doing a qualification course mysellf - but at £7k for a week's study it looked a bit of a rip-off, compounded by the fact that the 'trainers' didn't seem remotely interested in the fact that I was experienced with traditional building techniques.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun 2nd Sep, 2007 10:47 pm

The placcy window salesmen will be laughing all the way to the bank no doubt.

It's a shambles.

What on earth does the training consist of?

Inspector John

Post by Inspector John » Sun 2nd Sep, 2007 11:50 pm

Oh dear - so, like the current approved docs for building regs, it would appear the the criteria for HIPs are based on modern buildings,
Not quite right read again please
and besides the buyer who is unsympathetic to an old building will do anything they want regardless of what me you or anyone else says If they want to install those beautiful plastic windows with the Georgian bar and gold handles... They will. except if it's listed of course
Ps There's another approved doc. coming in next year Part Q
The placcy window salesmen will be laughing all the way to the bank no doubt.

It's a shambles.

What on earth does the training consist of?
They do anyway....
Could be...
More than a week...and a lot of hard work

Ask me another

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon 3rd Sep, 2007 10:40 am

OK - tell me about original timber sash windows and what would be said about them, and how they should be 'upgraded' according to the energy report.

I understand that one of the main reasons the government has pressed ahead with HIPS is the amount of cash we are all supposed to be saving by acting on the energy reports.

Inspector John

Post by Inspector John » Mon 3rd Sep, 2007 10:33 pm

A DEA or HI will not recommend upgrading windows of a listed building in a report.

As Re: Cash Yes and saving the main thing 'The Environment'. Which we all take for granted...
There are now grant's available from the energy savings trust
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/ for households on low incomes.....
I'd give everyone a grant and not build nuclear
But that is just my personal opinion

Inspector John

Post by Inspector John » Mon 3rd Sep, 2007 10:34 pm

I didn't go away after all, change of plan.....

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon 3rd Sep, 2007 10:35 pm

What about unlisted buildings? Not all historic buildings are listed...

Grants - last time I investigated Thermafleece told me that it was very difficult indeed to get a grant for it.

Inspector John

Post by Inspector John » Mon 3rd Sep, 2007 10:42 pm

Blimey you don't hang about

I'll get back to you on that one but I think if it's not listed or in a conservation area then recommendation's are made
We have to do a search to make sure it is or isn't listed

Inspector John

Post by Inspector John » Mon 3rd Sep, 2007 10:43 pm

last time I investigated Thermafleece told me
When was this?

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon 3rd Sep, 2007 10:45 pm

About February I think.

It's quite complex, really, getting a grant.

Tell me then about windows and the report... because I wish to submit evidence to a Commons Select Committee about this one.

Inspector John

Post by Inspector John » Mon 3rd Sep, 2007 10:51 pm

It is quite possible that if a building is of a historic nature a DEA or HI may be sympathetic to it's needs, but then again we have to follow guidelines
May I add that when I started studying to become a home inspector It was more for the HCR than the EPC.
The EPC was originally included in the HCR

Inspector John

Post by Inspector John » Mon 3rd Sep, 2007 10:52 pm

submit evidence
Please explain further

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon 3rd Sep, 2007 10:54 pm

I mean that there is to be CSC on the subject of energy measures.