Cheer of the Day!

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

DJH

Re: Cheer of the Day!

Post by DJH » Sun 30th Aug, 2015 7:18 pm

Whoopee!!!! I won first prize for my eating apples and second prize for my peas and courgette... :D :D :D Mrs DJH won third for her fruit cake... :(
I'm afraid my entries in the handicraft failed to impress the judges. Off to the grump topic then I suppose. :roll:

Doug

a twig

Post by a twig » Mon 31st Aug, 2015 6:12 pm

For the first time ever, I completed a bit of plumbing work and there wasn't even a single dribble when I turned the water back on.

One and a half bathrooms in and it appears that I am at last getting the hang of it! :D

DJH

Post by DJH » Mon 31st Aug, 2015 6:29 pm

Congratulations. Well done. I've been plumbing for nearly 50 years and I can't claim that... :oops:

Doug

kreyszig

Post by kreyszig » Tue 1st Sep, 2015 4:00 pm

We finished our non-hospital green bedroom revamp in time for my mother - visiting from NZ - to take our old room. We took a bit of a risk with darker coloured skirting, fire and door surround (F&B Lichen), and it seems to have worked.
The French "Gray" on the walls looked far, far too dark before we got it on (against primer), but it's quite pleasant and doesn't shrink the room at all.
And I'm quite happy with the way my radiator spraying turned out too, hooray!
I am refusing to grump about the lining paper lifting at a few edges...(or the pink duvet!)

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Fri 11th Sep, 2015 4:44 pm

You know the other day in "Grump of the day" I was complaining that I had tried to do something, it was awful, so I pulled it out again and was going to have to do it all again in a much more complicated way? (Come on, keep up, you lot at the back...)
Well I've decided not to do it at all. Hurrah!

DJH

Post by DJH » Thu 8th Oct, 2015 12:47 pm

Yippee...just finished, well nearly, our terrace ( not a patio herself says... :D ) and the overgrown patch behind the old milking parlour after nearly 13 years. Pictures to follow.

Doug

TheRoost

Post by TheRoost » Thu 24th Mar, 2016 10:01 am

Yesterday I planted a cherry (cheery? :P ) laurel hedge, in our bleak empty concrete front garden. The plants turned up on time (heavy rootball 6ft tall plants) I started after breakfast and had it all finished in time for lunch.

This is the only job on the house I've ever completed in less than three months, so feeling quite pleased with myself today!

DJH

Post by DJH » Wed 20th Apr, 2016 5:17 pm

Well done Roost. :D

The nice weather meant a cup of coffee (couldn't find any KitKats :( ) on the 'terrace' this afternoon. The cows are out by day and night now the ground has dried a little...
20160420_154234.jpg
20160420_154234.jpg (180.63 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Doug

88v8

Post by 88v8 » Thu 21st Apr, 2016 9:15 am

Well done for remembering this thread. A pleasant change from the usual damp n doom :)

I hung the fourth door on my garage, rescued five years ago from a Georgian coach house . Mind you, still have to fit the locks and various other stuff.
On Tuesday took the car out for the first time since hanging the doors - had to open and close them! Long time since we did that.

Ivor

DJH

Post by DJH » Thu 21st Apr, 2016 11:10 am

That's good to hear Ivor...bet the car is pleased!!

I was tempted to resurrect the Grump of the day topic as I have several grumps as well!!! Maybe later when it rains again.

Doug

a twig

Post by a twig » Fri 22nd Apr, 2016 11:45 pm

While replacing suspension bushes, I finally located and resolved an irritating clunk on my Series 3 109, traced to the fact that the rear axle damper mount was in fact no longer attached to the axle.

Quick squirt or two with the welder, damper can now carry out its proper job, clunk gone, and ride a great deal comfier, huzzah! :)

a twig

Post by a twig » Fri 6th Jan, 2017 4:46 pm

Well, as I posted a grump, I thought I'd better post a cheer as well. The spare room that I was frantically lime plastering before Christmas passed muster, and room was up and running with a bed and fresh linen by lunchtime Christmas Eve, meaning parents were not turfed out into the log store.

Went in and checked the damp/temp meter in there today, average temperature up 3 degrees, and humidity dropped by 10% compared to how the room was before I started work. So very happy indeed with that :D

Lime washing starts next week, then skirting boards, then just about done. I may even stick up a piccie when the limewashing has hidden the worst of my travails...

JanJonWestWales

Post by JanJonWestWales » Fri 13th Jan, 2017 9:20 am

a twig wrote:Well, as I posted a grump, I thought I'd better post a cheer as well. The spare room that I was frantically lime plastering before Christmas passed muster, and room was up and running with a bed and fresh linen by lunchtime Christmas Eve, meaning parents were not turfed out into the log store.

Went in and checked the damp/temp meter in there today, average temperature up 3 degrees, and humidity dropped by 10% compared to how the room was before I started work. So very happy indeed with that :D

Lime washing starts next week, then skirting boards, then just about done. I may even stick up a piccie when the limewashing has hidden the worst of my travails...

Nice one !!
Doing the same in an Attic room, finished first coat of course lime render last weekend, have been checking the forecast every day, and not a freezing night in sight :)

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Sat 14th Jan, 2017 5:07 pm

I've just bought a really cool door to fit into the recently un-bricked-up hole between the kitchen and the snug. The kitchen is a Georgian extension and the snug still has it's original 1600ish ceiling height. The door is Georgian (removed from a renovation sadly) and has a different status on each side. One side matches the intended kitchen panelling, and the other side has different mouldings to suit a higher status room. I had been procrastinating and avoiding buying new doors I don't like for weeks.

noj

Post by noj » Thu 19th Jan, 2017 3:35 pm

I've bought a new watering can!

Not the world's most exciting thing, but whilst not period it is proper heavy galvanised steel with a nice brass rose. I was wandering round the top floor in Liberty at lunch time and it was sitting on their 'less than £10' table - so with an 80% reduction it had to be bought...

It was the last one though - a shame because when I subsequently displayed it in the office everybody else wanted one too