Putty lamp / heater

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

RBailey

Putty lamp / heater

Post by RBailey » Wed 13th Jan, 2021 11:38 am

Hi All,

In my random surfing I have just come across an infrared heat lamp similar to the putty heaters:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speedstrippe ... 4291718137

Only £35 each so I have bought one, will see what it is like when it arrives.

I don't know what it will be like but I know the real ones are expensive / rare so I thought I would share here incase anybody is interested.

(They also rumour limited stock.)

Cheers,
Richard B.

Zebra

Re: Putty lamp / heater

Post by Zebra » Wed 13th Jan, 2021 1:28 pm

What's it for?

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Wed 13th Jan, 2021 1:29 pm

Does it say 110V on it?

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Wed 13th Jan, 2021 2:01 pm

Its an infra-red heater used for heating paint to scrape it off and to soften old glassing putty to help remove it.
Zebra wrote:
Wed 13th Jan, 2021 1:29 pm
Does it say 110V on it?
Not noticed this :roll: It's apparently UK made and a UK retailer so fingers crossed its not.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Wed 13th Jan, 2021 2:56 pm

Hmm, site kit for trade use has to be 110volt so it might be. You can get a transformer easily enough but of course it's more expense.

I've got a "proper" putty lamp and it's a great bit of kit, but I found a hen's tooth - a secondhand one on Ebay that, as it turns out, belonged to someone on this forum (was a long time ago - can't remember who!).

It does take paint off, though I think a "normal" hot air gun would be quicker. Be interesting to see what yours is like.

One day I'll get time to play with my new cheapo gadget - a Thermal Imager - it arrived on Christmas Eve but I've just not had a chance to play with it properly yet. Will post up a review on the original thread when I do!

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Wed 13th Jan, 2021 8:32 pm

If it's come with the appropriate UK plug on it then it ought to be OK.
You could also brand yourself with it - make a nice pattern! :-)

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 10:12 am

Hi All,

Just arrived and I can confirm that it is 240 V and fitted with a domestic UK plug.
Happy days :D

Seems quite well made, simple design / construction (in fact you can buy the IR elements from fleaby for about £15) but looks and feels like it will get the job done.

Window work isn't on my critical care list at the moment but good to have the right tool for the job.

Cheers,
Richard B.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 1:44 pm

Do let us know if it works on putty,. The original "Kittlampan" that I have is very well made but I seem to remember was about £900 new! It doesn't seem to be available any more. The only one I can see is this one at £395, still really only an option for a professional glass restorer.

https://swedishlinseedpaint.co.uk/Spoth ... Putty-Lamp

Mine does burn wood if left long enough - tough bits of putty do result in some surface blackening of surrounding wood, not a problem so long as you are painting and not staining. More importantly, using the lamp I've never broken a piece of glass getting it out.

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 2:14 pm

The manual / pamphlet suggests painting or spraying a solution of 80% boiler linseed and 20% white spirit on old or dried paint to help improve the heat absorption.
Might help with old putty as well.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Fri 15th Jan, 2021 3:11 pm

Hmm, be careful with that one - I know that rags soaked in linseed can spontaneously ignite, that's why you should wet them before throwing them away. Mix in some white spirit with linseed and a heat lamp, farewell eyebrows!

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Mon 18th Jan, 2021 8:45 am

Feltwell wrote:
Fri 15th Jan, 2021 3:11 pm
Hmm, be careful with that one - I know that rags soaked in linseed can spontaneously ignite, that's why you should wet them before throwing them away. Mix in some white spirit with linseed and a heat lamp, farewell eyebrows!
It takes quite a lot for linseed to spontaneously combust.
(I got involved in a spontaneous combustion fire for work and they very specific circumstances, temperature, oxygen, surface area.)

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Mon 18th Jan, 2021 8:54 am

Christmas holiday over so on to the next room.
I know I wasn't planning to use the heat lamp but the creative director decided that a built in cupboard needed stripping.

Not glassing putty but still gave it a good work out. This is multiple layers of very thick paint.

Before:

Once the tool is up to temperature it only takes about 20 seconds to heat an area but it does take a fair while to reach optimum working temperature.
It heats up an area 200 x 50 mm.
Once heated up and blistered.

Then a first scrape but so much paint it clogs the scraper and the working area cools quickly so needs a quick reheat.

A quick reheat and all done.

Overall very happy, even if I only use it for paint I am happy. It is a lot more controlled than a heat gun (and quieter).

Cheers,
Richard B.

ElectronicFur

Post by ElectronicFur » Tue 26th Jan, 2021 5:41 pm

I was planning to buy a heat gun, as once the weather improves I'll finally be tackling a lot of painting jobs.

And also have window work to do, so putty removal is something I'll need to do as well.

Do you think this is better than a heat gun? Is it a lot slower?

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Wed 27th Jan, 2021 8:34 am

ElectronicFur wrote:
Tue 26th Jan, 2021 5:41 pm
And also have window work to do, so putty removal is something I'll need to do as well.
You will need to at least repair any detached putty.

ElectronicFur wrote:
Tue 26th Jan, 2021 5:41 pm
Do you think this is better than a heat gun? Is it a lot slower?
Heating with this lamp is slower, but it heats the paint through more layers and scrapes off in one go easier.
It is a lot more controlled and doesn't heat the glass as much (a heat gun can crack glass).

ElectronicFur

Post by ElectronicFur » Thu 28th Jan, 2021 11:30 am

Thanks, I've ordered one.