Boarding over floors - Heracy?

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

RBailey

Boarding over floors - Heracy?

Post by RBailey » Wed 24th Nov, 2021 2:55 pm

Hi All,

Our upstairs corridor floorboards are in a poor state of repair. Hacked about by various electricians, plumbers, cowboys and lumberjacks as well as being broken, missing ends and generally loose, wobbly, and feel nearly unsafe.
I am therefore considering options for repair and my thoughts are towards over boarding with chipboard.

So my question for you kind and knowledgeable folks is how bad is that?

Factors / my thought process:
The corridor is very narrow and the boards run perpendicular and under a number of 1980's stud and plaster walls so to fix the boards properly the walls would need to come out (almost gutting the upstairs).
Over boarding still preserves the boards underneath, albeit, not readily accessible. (It would also mean the sweet tin lids etc. that are there can be removed.)
The screws for over boarding will just be a drop in the ocean compared to the mess of fixings that is already there.
Planning to mark any cable / pipe runs on top of the new board for future access.

(I am aware that I may well will need LBC and will broach it with the CO.)

Any thoughts, comments, abuse etc.. welcomed.

Thanks,
Richard B.

MatthewC

Re: Boarding over floors - Heracy?

Post by MatthewC » Wed 24th Nov, 2021 5:16 pm

I can understand your difficulty with the later walls resting on the old floor, and I can see why laying chipboard is an attractive option. However I question what the floorboards themselves are resting on if they are "broken, missing ends and generally loose, wobbly, and feel nearly unsafe"?

If you lay chipboard over the floorboards, presumably up to the skirting, then you still have to stabilise the edge of the chipboard where it meets the skirting. If things are as bad as you imply, you are simply covering up whatever problems are underneath and not making anything safer; in fact, if things move then chipboard is not going to improve the structural integrity as it will break easily, but plywood might improve that. I would consider that if it is the joists underneath the floorboards which are loose and wobbly then that's a quite serious issue...

Matthew

PS it's "heresy" :lol:

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Wed 24th Nov, 2021 5:26 pm

It's common for carpet fitters to put thin hardboard over wonky floor boards. It seems to cover gaps effectively and the nails are only staples so the holes won't be noticeable when the hard board is removed. Can't imagine that would need listed building permission as it doesn't alter what is there. Being thin you would be less likely to have to cut material from the bottom of the doors. Chipboard sounds like overkill.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Wed 24th Nov, 2021 7:46 pm

malcolm wrote:
Wed 24th Nov, 2021 5:26 pm
It's common for carpet fitters to put thin hardboard over wonky floor boards. It seems to cover gaps effectively and the nails are only staples so the holes won't be noticeable when the hard board is removed. Can't imagine that would need listed building permission as it doesn't alter what is there. Being thin you would be less likely to have to cut material from the bottom of the doors. Chipboard sounds like overkill.
Our bedroom had hardboard over the floorboards with nasty underlay and carpet on top of that. Luckily boards in decent condition and now refinished.

noj

Post by noj » Wed 24th Nov, 2021 10:33 pm

Chipboard seems a bit much.

Our bathroom has 9mm ply, the landing has hardboard - the ply makes a smooth floor and the hardboard now gently follows the contours of the uneven boards underneath while eliminating any harsh 'steps'. Both were inherited, certainly been there over ten years.

Under that both floors are generally wormy 7+" pine boards (with replacement bits) laid over the probably original, pretty rough sawn, gappy boards which vary in width up to around 18"

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Thu 25th Nov, 2021 9:02 am

Bodge it but add it to the "Things to do some time when I've done everything else" list :)

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Thu 25th Nov, 2021 9:52 am

Hi All,

Many thanks for the kind input and suggestions, it's much appreciated.
In particular I hadn't considered thinner plywood, that might be even better option.
I will continue to cogitate and gird my loins to kick off work in the new year. (Its not procrastination, it planning :lol: )

Yet another reminder why this place is so much better and nicer than faceache.

Many thanks,
Richard B.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Thu 25th Nov, 2021 11:02 am

Heresy, no win a caveat. In my view it all depends n the condition of the floor. Floors that can (with all practically) can be saved should be saved. But for floors that have been dutcherd beyond that point I see over sheeting a most practical solution. We have over sheeted our floor in the kitchen for tiles. The big issue is dealing with the floor edge. We have a rather pronounced edge at the doorways were it meets the original hall flooring, it a bit of a irritant.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Thu 25th Nov, 2021 5:27 pm

RBailey wrote:
Thu 25th Nov, 2021 9:52 am

Yet another reminder why this place is so much better and nicer than faceache.

Many thanks,
Richard B.
I thought I recognised one of your pictures from “The Other Place” I am also a member of that group!