Monitoring damp

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

a twig

Monitoring damp

Post by a twig » Sat 27th Nov, 2021 8:33 am

After various posts about using Arduinos etc to monitor damp/humidity over the long term I came across these in the Black Friday sales

Deal of the day: Govee Room Thermometer Hygrometer, Bluetooth Digital Indoor Temperature Humidity Sensor with Smart Alert and Data Storage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086YYL439/

They arrived yesterday - breeze to set up and all the tracking, alerts and monitoring you could need. The company also make other smart things so would be possible to switch on a dehumidifier via a smart plug when levels get high etc

No connection just a happy customer

Feltwell

Re: Monitoring damp

Post by Feltwell » Sat 27th Nov, 2021 8:38 am

a twig wrote:
Sat 27th Nov, 2021 8:33 am
would be possible to switch on a dehumidifier via a smart plug when levels get high etc
Black magic! :wink:

I just seem to find that anything involving the word "wireless" (apart from Radio 4 of course) is a pain in the arse and goes wrong, whereas use some bits of copper to join things together and they are inherently more reliable.

God I sound old!

a twig

Post by a twig » Sat 27th Nov, 2021 8:44 am

I’m very much in that boat myself usually (I still merrily run CAT6 around the house for internet connections) but to my surprise these do actually seem pretty solid

paulc

Post by paulc » Sat 27th Nov, 2021 9:34 am

a twig wrote:
Sat 27th Nov, 2021 8:33 am
After various posts about using Arduinos etc to monitor damp/humidity over the long term I came across these in the Black Friday sales
Have you come across the ESP based modules yet ?
Just as capable as the Arduino (maybe a bit more so), can use the same IDE, and they are dirt cheap. A basic ESP32-12 is like a couple of quid.
I have a few (smart) light switches that use the esp8266, and I'm hooked. Have since found some dinky little ESP32 modules with onboard relays and a mains power supply. Just waiting for them to turn up and I can start monitoring my stove flue temperature (already have thermocouples in place).
Also have a number of temperature/humidity sensors dotted around the house connected via a MODBUS cable.

a twig

Post by a twig » Sat 27th Nov, 2021 11:49 am

Yep- I just don’t have the free time to tinker at the moment so an Off The Shelf that “just works” for a reasonable price ticks all my boxes at present - hence happy at finding the above.

At some point when I’m not covering 4 job roles due to Covid, coordinating asbestos removal and trying to sell a house, I’ll hopefully get some free time and get properly stuck into a single unified system - at the moment have Honeywell Evohome for heating, Govee for humidity and Nooie smart plugs for my Xmas lights 😂

noj

Post by noj » Sat 27th Nov, 2021 4:09 pm

A pigmented limewash or claypaint seems pretty effective for pinpointing and monitoring damp if you want a low-tech method... 😃

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Wed 1st Dec, 2021 9:46 am

paulc wrote:
Sat 27th Nov, 2021 9:34 am

Have you come across the ESP based modules yet ?
Extra Sensory Perception? :)

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Wed 1st Dec, 2021 9:49 am

noj wrote:
Sat 27th Nov, 2021 4:09 pm
A pigmented limewash or claypaint seems pretty effective for pinpointing and monitoring damp if you want a low-tech method... 😃
True, but some finishes attract condensation, so might actually be creating the very condition you are monitoring?

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Wed 1st Dec, 2021 2:22 pm

CliffordPope wrote:
Wed 1st Dec, 2021 9:49 am
noj wrote:
Sat 27th Nov, 2021 4:09 pm
True, but some finishes attract condensation, so might actually be creating the very condition you are monitoring?
Now, vinyl emulsion for example, yes that attracts condensation, but I have used both limewash and claypaint in my house, and neither has ever done so. I would guess that, being breathable, both limewash and claypaint would actually resist it.

a twig

Post by a twig » Thu 2nd Dec, 2021 1:42 pm

Just to highlight a recent use case or two, I was able to use these sensors to work out that my extractor fan in my ensuite has to run for almost 2 hours to get the humidity back down to normal after a shower - so clearly I need to review my extraction arrangements as on paper 20 mins should be enough to completely change the air in the room.

I can also compare room RH against weather patterns - there is a room that consistently starts increasing in RH ~30 minutes after the start of heavy rain so in that case it suggests a water ingress problem somewhere

worms

Post by worms » Fri 3rd Dec, 2021 7:27 am

a twig wrote:
Thu 2nd Dec, 2021 1:42 pm
I can also compare room RH against weather patterns - there is a room that consistently starts increasing in RH ~30 minutes after the start of heavy rain so in that case it suggests a water ingress problem somewhere
Perhaps not water ingress, so much as air-flow. Water ingress would potentially take longer to significantly affect internal ambient humidity than incoming external air, at 100% humidity during heavy rain, even after taking into account the temperature rise. It's like leaving the bathroom door open after a shower, there is no water ingress into the hall but a rapid and marked increase in humidity.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Sun 5th Dec, 2021 6:33 pm

If I walk through our basement and open and close an outside door, which is at the end of a corridor out of that basement room, the reading on the dehumidifier will move by a few points, even if I’m speedy. It’s been a surprise how quickly the numbers change with just a waft of outside air.

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Mon 6th Dec, 2021 9:44 am

LadyArowana wrote:
Sun 5th Dec, 2021 6:33 pm
If I walk through our basement and open and close an outside door, which is at the end of a corridor out of that basement room, the reading on the dehumidifier will move by a few points, even if I’m speedy. It’s been a surprise how quickly the numbers change with just a waft of outside air.
I've been trying to hammer that point home to family and guests for nearly 40 years!
On a wet day we might turn the dehumidifier on, but then someone leaves the door open needlessly for a few seconds and all the benefit whistles out of the door and the damp air pours in. As I've repeatedly told them, we might as well put the dehumidifier outside and dry out Pembrokeshire instead :)