Tue 29th Dec, 2020 3:56 pm
OK, you win. :lol:
A hollow victory I think you'll find :lol:

Lime

Re: The worst bodge

Post by Lime » Tue 29th Dec, 2020 10:04 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Mon 28th Dec, 2020 9:03 pm

Shower power cable boring you by running in straight lines? Take it up the wall straight then veer off at a jaunty 45 degree angle for no apparent reason!
When I was in the trade and witnessed many horrors, that had often been done because the cable was found to have been cut too short.
The straight bit running up the wall was a vague attempt to be comply with the Regs.
This type of work was often accompanied by wiring under the floor wired so taut that you could play a tune on them.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Wed 30th Dec, 2020 7:59 pm

I started taking the internal masonry wall down between the bathroom and en-suite today - filthy job. Anyway, it's a single brick thickness wall laid in stretcher bond and I expected it to be toothed in to the external wall of the house, which it meets at a 90 degree angle.

Nope - just butted up to it, with a 6" cut clasp nail stuck in every other course of the external wall for it to hang on to, for all the good that would do! Suddenly the modern "Furfix" type wall starter bars don't look so bad after all... :lol:

Still, it hasn't moved in 121 years so I suppose it did the job!

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Thu 31st Dec, 2020 6:19 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Wed 30th Dec, 2020 7:59 pm

Still, it hasn't moved in 121 years so I suppose it did the job!
That doesn't really seem like a bodge to me. As long as the wall has adequate footings it's not going to go anywhere, and a stout nail every second brick course is over-engineering the solution in my view.
Of course if it is buttressing the outer wall then it doesn't need attaching anyway - but then you probably wouldn't be removing it anyway.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sat 2nd Jan, 2021 12:19 am

It's not exactly a secure tying in. I guess I'm surprised it wasn't built up at the same time as the outer wall and so toothed into it - it must have been built after the outer wall went up. It's an extremely tall single skin wall, but it is of course supported laterally by the floor joists throughout the building.

But, it's made removing it much easier so I suppose I should be grateful!

Tomorrow's fun and games is getting a new beam in place to support the floor joists of the attic room above - there's one already there that was on top of the wall I've removed, whilst I don't believe the wall was offering any support to it I also can't say for sure that it wasn't, plus it's only bearing into the outer wall by 1 1/2" - I think the BCO will want 4". It's also got big chunks morticed out of it where other joists join into it - so - better safe than sorry, a new beam will go beneath it. Acros are holding it all up for now!

88v8

Post by 88v8 » Sun 3rd Jan, 2021 10:33 am

Feltwell wrote:
...the internal masonry wall ...I expected it to be toothed in... Nope - just butted up ... it hasn't moved in 121 years so I suppose it did the job!
In our first house, built 1932, the internal walls of ye old heavy breeze were just supported by the suspended floors. No fat joists, no special sleepers.
The hall wall, which continued upstairs, was the place I chose to hang my prize wall-mounted cast-iron radiator weighing about 350lb.

Discovering this structural oddity when I went to plumb it in, I... decided to do.... nothing.
Is inaction a bodge?

Ivor

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Sun 3rd Jan, 2021 2:02 pm

88v8 wrote:
Sun 3rd Jan, 2021 10:33 am
Feltwell wrote:
...the internal masonry wall ...I expected it to be toothed in... Nope - just butted up ... it hasn't moved in 121 years so I suppose it did the job!
In our first house, built 1932, the internal walls of ye old heavy breeze were just supported by the suspended floors. No fat joists, no special sleepers.
The hall wall, which continued upstairs, was the place I chose to hang my prize wall-mounted cast-iron radiator weighing about 350lb.

Discovering this structural oddity when I went to plumb it in, I... decided to do.... nothing.
Is inaction a bodge?

Ivor
Doing nothing in my view is not a bodge, nothing happened to make a successful bodge. Doing nothing gives you time to come up with a good plan, I call this ‘conceptualization time’ . Currently I have many fixes at this stage of repair. :D

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sun 3rd Jan, 2021 7:23 pm

Gothichome wrote:
Sun 3rd Jan, 2021 2:02 pm
Currently I have many fixes at this stage of repair. :D
Oh Lord yes! I've plenty of those.

Is doing nothing a bodge? Generally, no - but I would cite certain exceptions, such as the earlier example of this thread of someone having knowingly nailed through a cable and just leaving a note on a floorboard!