Hello from the colonies, well Canada any way.

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Gothichome

Hello from the colonies, well Canada any way.

Post by Gothichome » Sun 27th Jan, 2019 1:23 pm

The moderator was kind enough to approve my membership so I thought I would introduce myself. I have been following this group for many years. As an old home owner your topics and conversations have interest to me, and the occasional “grump of the day” always make me smile.
We (the wife and I) are restoring an 1880 gothic revival home in the Canada’s deep south just out side the town of Chatham Ontario, it backs onto the Thames River in county of Chatham Kent. It’s a larger home with absolutely no changes made to her. All original plaster walls, cornices and wood work, although it caught the dreaded white paint disease but we are slowly getting that fixed up.
E9932B67-BE99-45C5-A0E3-26CAEA6F0881.jpeg
E9932B67-BE99-45C5-A0E3-26CAEA6F0881.jpeg (45.4 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
She is not listed so I really have no red tape or authorization need to get any thing done although even if it was I would not need to go through jumps you folks have to.
I know by your standards a 140 year old home is not really old, maybe that’s why I enjoy reading the posts of really old homes. At the moment the uncovering of a 400 year old fire place has caught my interest.
That’s it for now. I dought I would have any relevant input to offer, at the least you can see how we do it here on the Thames River in the county of Chatham Kent in Ontario’s Deep South.
Ron

Feltwell

Re: Hello from the colonies, well Canada any way.

Post by Feltwell » Sun 27th Jan, 2019 9:56 pm

Hello - and Welcome! We don't all live in houses that are especially old you know - mine is late Victorian from 1899, and we have the occasional Edwardian (1901-1910) house appear as well.

More pictures please, in fact lots more pictures - I do like Gothic Revival, it would be interesting to see if what is called that in Canada is the same as what we have over here. From your small external picture it doesn't look as heavily embellished as ours - here's one that I would class as being at the plainer end of the scale externally (still stunning though!):-

http://www.treberfydd.com/

And some more prominent examples in London:-

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/gal ... val-london

Abi Cott

Post by Abi Cott » Sun 27th Jan, 2019 11:28 pm

I'm only 1829, but listed and all that gubbins. Welcome to the forum

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Sun 27th Jan, 2019 11:42 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Sun 27th Jan, 2019 9:56 pm
Hello - and Welcome! We don't all live in houses that are especially old you know - mine is late Victorian from 1899, and we have the occasional Edwardian (1901-1910) house appear as well.

More pictures please, in fact lots more pictures - I do like Gothic Revival, it would be interesting to see if what is called that in Canada is the same as what we have over here. From your small external picture it doesn't look as heavily embellished as ours - here's one that I would class as being at the plainer end of the scale externally (still stunning though!):-

http://www.treberfydd.com/

And some more prominent examples in London:-

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/gal ... val-london
There are Gothic revival houses very similar to Gothichome's near me. Here is an example that is at the top of my road!

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Sun 27th Jan, 2019 11:44 pm

I would be interested to see more photos too please! We don't get many international visitors round here, it's normally a local site for local people.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Sun 27th Jan, 2019 11:51 pm

Well, thanks for the welcome. I am aware this foram has homes of many ages and styles but here in Canada any thing older than an occasional Georgian is a log cabin.
Feltwell, she has lost all of her fancy exterior trim. Over the years it has either been taken off or has fell off long before we bought it. The plan (or hope) should I live long enough is to get it replaced. There is a particular style of Gothic here generally referred to as Gothic cottage or Ontario gothic. This style hung on here long after it went out of style every were else.
Here is a link to the style, ours would have looked similar just much bigger.
http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/gothicottage.htm
Here is a pic of of the river side of our home
Looking up from this corner you can see a church like look

Cubist

Post by Cubist » Mon 28th Jan, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi There and Welcome,

It matters not where you are or when the house was first built - personally I think 'Period' covers anything and everything.
Gothichome wrote:
Sun 27th Jan, 2019 1:23 pm
I know by your standards a 140 year old home is not really old
Well within our tolerances and all of us happy to help or just chat for that matter.
Gothichome wrote:
Sun 27th Jan, 2019 1:23 pm
At the moment the uncovering of a 400 year old fire place has caught my interest.
On/in the property? Tell us more, with pictures please.

All the best,
Cubist

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Mon 28th Jan, 2019 9:25 pm

Welcome to the forums Gothichome.

According to this article, https://www.savills.co.uk/blog/article/ ... perty.aspx, WW1 is the cut-off date for 'period', but it's a pretty loose definition and I'm sure there are plenty of post-WW1 properties that would also qualify on emotional, if not simplistic numeric, grounds. Anyway, by either measure you're well qualified at 140 years!

TheSpid

Post by TheSpid » Mon 28th Jan, 2019 10:06 pm

My approx four hundred year old house isn't listed - odd but it has escaped notice for some reason.

Welcome. I have found this forum invaluable,

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Mon 28th Jan, 2019 10:23 pm

plasticpigeon wrote:
Sun 27th Jan, 2019 11:44 pm
I would be interested to see more photos too please! We don't get many international visitors round here, it's normally a local site for local people.
PP, I have no intention of getting involved with your countries immigration issues. :lol:
Cubist, I was referring to Spids project. Looks interesting. I actually learned a new term from you folks, ‘snug’. I can now sound smart pointing it out if I ever see a deep fireplace with seating on the sides.
Flyfisher, here we refer to homes a hundred years old or older century homes.
A good place to start with a tour is the front door.
The door knobs are a 1964 install, I have proper period hardware when it comes time to restore these doors.

Cubist

Post by Cubist » Tue 29th Jan, 2019 5:43 pm

TheSpid wrote:
Mon 28th Jan, 2019 10:06 pm
My approx four hundred year old house isn't listed - odd but it has escaped notice for some reason.
I think you dodged the bullet there.

Our place was built in the reign of QE1, G2 Listed which I admit gives me more latitude than the G2* and G1 afflicted, but nevertheless a real PITA if I want to do anything serious/or significant like maybe closing the points of entry for the local mouse population. :?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Wed 30th Jan, 2019 2:06 am

This is our home when we first took ownership.
As you can see, the trees are far to tall and to close to home. One of the first tasks was getting rid of it all. I almost could hear the home thanking me.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Thu 31st Jan, 2019 12:46 am

Folks, another picture. Further back in the conversation we briefly discussed our varge boards and gingerbread. Here you can see were it was attached. Some of the tenons are still held in the mortises by pegs.
In the nine years we have owned the home we still have not found a picture that showed what the fancy stuff looked like.

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Thu 31st Jan, 2019 7:21 am

You couldn't just measure your bricks, Gothichome, could you? They look quite unusually proportioned. Both headers and stretchers if possible. You don't often see "Monk bond" used. I think yours is Common Monk Bond, but I'm not as familiar with Monk Bond as I should be.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Fri 1st Feb, 2019 1:16 am

Mike, our bricks are 2 1/2x4x8 long. They are a soft brick, and the dimensions are not a perfect size, or the shape all exactly the same. It was suggested to me by a historical fellow that they were probably made on site. As far as the monk bond, there are a few bigger homes in the area using it but the smaller homes seemed mostly to use a simple running bond.
Here is a picture of a wall that was never exposed to the elements.
At the time our home was being built they added a summer kitchen or scullery to the back of the home. It must have been added very shortly after the home was built. The quality of the brick laying is not nearly as good as the main house. The picture I posted is the main house wall that the add on was built against. It was plastered over. When I redid the summer kitchen I removed the plaster. The lime pointing still has the sharp edges from the trowel.