Advice on sash furniture

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

88v8

Re: Advice on sash furniture

Post by 88v8 » Sun 10th Feb, 2019 10:00 am

Craig89 wrote:
Sat 9th Feb, 2019 1:59 pm
The pole idea could be an option, I will put the ideas to my partner and see what she thinks
Ahh, it's a partner elevation problem.
OK
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTERERS-D ... :rk:9:pf:0

Ivor

Craig89

Post by Craig89 » Sun 10th Feb, 2019 12:20 pm

88v8 wrote:
Sun 10th Feb, 2019 10:00 am
Ahh, it's a partner elevation problem.
OK
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTERERS-D ... :rk:9:pf:0

Ivor
Finally....a realistic solution :lol:

overlander matt

Post by overlander matt » Sun 8th Nov, 2020 10:16 pm

I'm finally getting round to fitting locks to the downstairs sash windows and came across Craig's post. The house previously had a mixture of Fitch and Brighton fasteners, all totally unmatched. I had planned to fit Brighton fasteners but then came across Craig's post stating the possibility of springing back and breaking the glass! Obviously that's not a terribly desirable feature and wondered how likely this is.

I ordered a couple of the 'narrow' Brighton fasteners from Reddiseals a while ago to try out and fitted one on one of the large Georgian windows. I had wondered how well the fasteners work when the levels of the meeting rail levels don't quite match up (maybe a consequence of adding the draft excluding brushes?). My initial impression is the fastener seems pretty lightweight - it certainly isn't going to stop anyone who wants to get in... The narrow version is just 12mm whereas the standard is around 22mm which should make it a bit sturdier but with only 25mm or so from the front edge of the meeting rail to the glass, is this a bit tight?

Craig also asked the question about using one or two fasteners. The windows only had one fastener fitted previously but then they never really worked properly. Now they glide effortlessly up and down but the older windows do also show a little lateral movement meaning the top sash can sit a bit lopsided. Two fasteners might help with this.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Mon 9th Nov, 2020 9:27 am

I'm struggling to envisage quite what you mean Matt, pictures would help, but I would say that Broughtons have a much wider & nicer selection of catches than either Reddiseals or Mightons.

a twig

Post by a twig » Mon 9th Nov, 2020 9:25 pm

So what you're saying is, sash is too shallow to allow fitment of a beefy fastener as it might spring back, impact and break the glass, but if you fit a smaller one they are a bit flimsy and you're worried they won't do the job?

Is that right?

a twig

Post by a twig » Mon 9th Nov, 2020 9:32 pm

If that's the case could you not just fit the Brighton fasteners the "wrong" way round? Bit more fiddly to undo of course but then any spring back is into the room, not towards the glass?

Obviously not possible to have lockable ones then, not sure if that's an issue?

If it is, what about this style?
https://www.doorhardware.co.uk/product- ... 4l-at.aspx

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Wed 11th Nov, 2020 6:58 pm

overlander matt wrote:
Sun 8th Nov, 2020 10:16 pm
I had planned to fit Brighton fasteners but then came across Craig's post stating the possibility of springing back and breaking the glass! Obviously that's not a terribly desirable feature and wondered how likely this is.
How likely it is depends upon how heffalumpy the operator is. Some people move stealthily leaving not a trace of their presence, others are liable to cut a swathe of destruction.

overlander matt

Post by overlander matt » Wed 11th Nov, 2020 9:00 pm

I have returned with a couple of photos... Apologies for the garbled descriptions in the earlier post. In the interim, I ordered a bulkier fastener from Reddiseals to see whether it will fit and operate ok. For the window in question, there is certainly enough room to operate it without the fear of breaking the glass. This was admittedly a budget option and the finish is not great so I might well look at some more expensive alternatives.
sash locks.jpg
sash locks.jpg (108.83 KiB) Viewed 89 times
The next photo shows the not so great view of the pub across the road. I was hoping to show that the top sash tends to sit a little lower on the left than it does on the right. There is a fair amount of lateral movement on the larger, Georgian era sash windows and I wondered whether the fasteners would help to keep the sashes level when closed. The single flimsy fastener had zero effect...

Thanks for the ideas!

Matt
Attachments
sash.jpg
sash.jpg (153.37 KiB) Viewed 89 times

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Tue 17th Nov, 2020 10:51 am

I fitted one of those fasteners on a large sash window and was worried about the same issue. However, it has never been a problem - it springs back and is about 1mm short of the glass. Worrying but works!