Top tools

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

a twig

Re: Top tools

Post by a twig » Tue 30th Mar, 2021 10:21 am

"To declare something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools..."

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Tue 30th Mar, 2021 11:06 am

I'm very ingenious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Toby Newell

Post by Toby Newell » Wed 31st Mar, 2021 11:34 am

MY POINT EXACTLY. To quote Pratchett.

It is better to marvel at their infinite ingenuity rather than dismay at their ineptitude. There is a kind of perverse brilliance to their work that no sane person can match.

ElectronicFur

Post by ElectronicFur » Thu 1st Apr, 2021 5:17 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Mon 29th Mar, 2021 6:51 pm
Not so much a tool, but......

Why oh why have I never discovered Wago connectors and boxes before? Used Wago773 connectors on a lighting circuit I was rewiring today, they are brilliant, so much better than screw terminal junction boxes. Also not prone to coming loose, which a sparky friend tells me can happen, with stranded cable especially (of which Feltwell Towers has quite a bit).
Yes, I can second that recommendation on Wago connectors and boxes. Since buying this place, I've been using them whenever I've needed to replace some of the existing electrics. Some of the existing electrics was well dodgy and the Wago stuff had made it quick and easy to replace.

ElectronicFur

Post by ElectronicFur » Thu 1st Apr, 2021 6:36 pm

OK I finally feel I can contribute to this thread.

My top tool is really my oscillating multi-tool, even managed to easily cut stove-pipe with it the other day.

But for non-standard, I can recommend an endoscope. I bought this initially to check the inside of my chimney stack, but it's been useful for sticking under floor boards to see were wires and pipes are going, check the hearth construction under floor boards, check vents, etc. For £89 off Amazon I got a 15m semi-rigid 5MP endoscope with LED lights. Connects to your phone via bluetooth. The shorter than 15m ones are a bit cheaper, but I needed that as my chimney is 14m. Whilst it is semi-rigid, if you're going more than 5m you will need to connect it to a more solid pole. I just use my chimney sweeping poles.

Another thing I can recommend is storage. Made my life a lot easier now I invested in some Dewalt Toughsystem storage. Especially needed if you end up buying all the top tools suggested in this thread :D

I use a variety of the DS100, DS150, DS300 and DS400 toolboxes and organisers, and then use the wall racking to store it all neatly on the wall. Got 8 of the DS100 clear top organiser boxes. Then a trolley to move what I need.

Festool Systainer and Milwaukee Packout are similar systems. Toby already mentioned the Systainers earlier. But I found the wall racking and price better on the Dewalt range. Sometimes there are good deals on the wall racking bundled with boxes. Dewalt just upgraded the range to 2.0.

I was for some time reluctant to spend money on a decent storage solution, but was forever wasting hours searching for equipment in my garage. This has really made a difference. Also the fact the boxes are sealed is useful for me, as my garage had woodworm in the roof before we moved in, and although the previous owners had it treated, there's still crud falling down. Another thing on my stuff-to-look-into list!

Toby Newell

Post by Toby Newell » Sat 3rd Apr, 2021 1:35 pm

Agree. I probably have £6k in storage boxes. Impossible to live without them. Festool Systainer are thin ABS rubbish, brittle (latest T³ ones are stronger) and chemically reactive but ergonomically brilliant. I just bought more!

I also have several industrial euro size boxes and hinged lid containers (like the ones supermarket delivery guys use) they are relatively cheap, very durable and stack. Perfect for the loft / garage / basement if you are lucky enough to have them.

And a million times better than the unspeakably useless, overpriced, clear plastic rubbish sold in the DIY sheds that are so brittle they disintegrate before your eyes.

I get mine from Plastor. If you are an organisational freak like me, you will go weak at the knees if you visit their warehouse.

They often sell second hand items from NHS, Aston Martin etc... still very useful and loads of life left as they are industrial rated.

the peanut

Post by the peanut » Tue 6th Apr, 2021 12:47 pm

QQ re dust extraction:
If the floors your are sanding are covered in horrible black bitumen and paint that is full of lead (laboratory tested), after most of it is scraped off with a cabinet scraper and/or speedheater) then what class of extractor do people use for the sanding (L, M or H)? Festool CTH 26E is class H and looks to be the proper job for lead etc..

Flyfisher

Post by Flyfisher » Tue 6th Apr, 2021 5:18 pm

Class H vacuums are rated for hazardous materials, which I believe is basically to do with their air filtration system, typically including HEPA filters, that ensures hazardous dust etc is trapped within the machine and not aerolised (is that a word?).

I've got the slightly smaller and now discontinued HZQ450 model similar to this: https://numatic.co.uk/product/hz570/

I bought it for cleaning out a very dusty old out-building with some dubious looking pipe insulation - best not mention the A-word ;) - but it has proved useful when used with various other dust-generating tools.

The good thing about this model (though I doubt it's unique) is that both the air inlet and outlets have hose connectors so I also bought an 8m hose to connect to the air outlet and dangled that out through a window. In that way it's impossible for any dust to be thrown up in the area being worked.

DJH

Post by DJH » Wed 7th Apr, 2021 3:36 pm

Hmm, I don't really have a particular Top Tool but I always found myself reaching for a favourite tool for the job I was at (does that make sense?) Anyway among my tools at the moment I have over 50 rebate planes the majority of which were made by Jn Alexandre and are very good quality. My problem is that try as I might I can't track down any information about the maker of these planes.

Anyway, I bet someone on here knows... :D :D

Doug

DJH

Post by DJH » Fri 9th Apr, 2021 5:18 pm

It turns out that Mr Jn Alexandre was the owner of these planes not the maker...oh well
Doug

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Thu 27th May, 2021 2:06 pm

Maybe not new to some here, but another recent discovery to me, a pointing hawk.

I have normally used the back of a trowel or plaster hawk but this makes the job easier.

The handle is at an angle which makes holding it easier, there is a lip on two top sides to stop much slipping off and there is a lip under the front to help locate at the groove.

Cheers,
Richard B.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Thu 27th May, 2021 10:20 pm

Oooooooo, I need a pointing hawk, always thought there must be a better hawk than my large trowel, one scoop for the joint another for the ground. Also, I can never get the hang of pointing the verticals. Start at the bottom of the joint and work up but I find by the time I get my pointing trowel vertical most of the mix ends up on the ground with the rest. Any how I digress into wallowing self pity.
My new favourite tool,
Just purchased a couple weeks ago. It’s not pretty but it will get to the peaks of the Gothichomes roof.
Ron

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Thu 27th May, 2021 11:04 pm

And I thought having 2 scaffold towers was a bit flash...... :D

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Fri 28th May, 2021 9:08 am

Gothichome wrote:
Thu 27th May, 2021 10:20 pm
Oooooooo, I need a pointing hawk, always thought there must be a better hawk than my large trowel, one scoop for the joint another for the ground. Also, I can never get the hang of pointing the verticals. Start at the bottom of the joint and work up but I find by the time I get my pointing trowel vertical most of the mix ends up on the ground with the rest. Any how I digress into wallowing self pity.
Your not the only one, I always find the verticals harder. I point all of the horizontals first then vertical bottom and work up, but it is no way near as efficient as the horizontals.

Gothichome wrote:
Thu 27th May, 2021 10:20 pm
Just purchased a couple weeks ago. It’s not pretty but it will get to the peaks of the Gothichomes roof.
Very jealous !!!

a twig

Post by a twig » Fri 28th May, 2021 11:35 am

Very jealous, I’m getting too old and fat for ladders and we have a roof that sheds a slate or two every few months, so been on the look out.

One of the downsides of the internet is that people watch these restoration videos and suddenly think their junk is worth money.

You used to be able to pick up small machinery like MEWPs, garden tractors, mowers etc as non runners for £100-200, throw £100-£150 of parts at them and be off and running.

Now even non runners seem to be getting on for £1k :(