what is this type of pointing

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Post Reply
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon 14th Sep, 2020 10:32 am

what is this type of pointing

Post by danjennings1958 » Mon 19th Oct, 2020 11:17 am

any ideas of the materials used for this pointing? im also looking to clean up the brickwork which had plaster over it originally as well as repointing, any help advise would be well appreciated.
wall 1
IMG_6313.jpg (36.25 KiB) Viewed 254 times
IMG_6312 (1).jpg
wall 2
IMG_6312 (1).jpg (37.62 KiB) Viewed 254 times

Posts: 259
Joined: Wed 14th Apr, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Somerset, England

Re: what is this type of pointing

Post by stuart45 » Tue 20th Oct, 2020 5:50 pm

Looks like Flush pointing in lime mortar.

Posts: 5714
Joined: Sun 18th May, 2008 7:28 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Re: what is this type of pointing

Post by Feltwell » Tue 20th Oct, 2020 6:55 pm

Agreed - have a look at the thread "lime pointing video" and you'll see newly done flush pointing at the end.

Cleaning off bricks - try a small area first and make sure you wet the bricks down with water before you start, but brick acid will take the residues of lime plaster off, if that's what it was. This sort of stuff:-

https://www.toolstation.com/bostik-conc ... ner/p98902

Do wear goggles and rubber gloves, it's nasty stuff. Works though!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests