Internal door locks with missing keys

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

ElectronicFur

Internal door locks with missing keys

Post by ElectronicFur » Fri 6th Nov, 2020 5:42 pm

Matt's question about internal door mortice locks reminded me of an issue we have. Almost all our internal doors have locks on them, about 24 doors. The majority are mortice locks, with just a couple of sash locks. But only 4 of the locks have keys remaining. The rest have all been lost. Previous owners said they were missing already when they bought the place. Even the cupboards have locks on them with missing keys.

Has anyone had keys made up for missing locks? I did research this on the internet a while back, but it looked very expensive. I did go into a local locksmith with a key for a lock I had taken apart, on the toilet door. But he wouldn't sell me a matching uncut key, as he said they're not allowed to. I was hoping to just file the key to size myself by looking at the levers.

I could just replace the entire locks where I need them, I guess, but it seemed kind of wasteful. And also tricky finding the right sizes.

Feltwell

Re: Internal door locks with missing keys

Post by Feltwell » Fri 6th Nov, 2020 8:18 pm

ElectronicFur wrote:
Fri 6th Nov, 2020 5:42 pm
I did go into a local locksmith with a key for a lock I had taken apart, on the toilet door. But he wouldn't sell me a matching uncut key, as he said they're not allowed to.
That sounds like local policy at one particular locksmith to me. I've used my local Timpsons on a few occasions to buy blanks, which they've roughly cut to size for me, and I've just finished them off with a file to shape - really very easy, internal door locks are invariably crude! Look for another locksmith or key cutting outlet I'd say.

However - don't make keys to lock internal doors for security reasons. My in-laws ran a security company for many years, my father-in-law always said that if someone has done the risky bit of breaking into a building, once inside & in private they will just kick any internal doors through, especially as a locked door says something is worth having on the other side. I just made a key for the toilet doors here (previous owners must have been good at singing! No keys and no bolts) and one attic room that I used to hide the kid's Christmas presents in.

ElectronicFur

Post by ElectronicFur » Sat 7th Nov, 2020 10:46 pm

Thanks that's good to know. It was actually my local Timpsons I asked, and he said no locksmith would sell blanks.

Yes, my parents learnt that lesson about locking internal doors. Their internal doors were wrecked after burglars forced them, and they had metal door frames, so the damage was substantial.

The missus would prefer the locks on the toilets and bathrooms to work :D

So that is really my main aim. And maybe my office, for when I want to keep the kids out.

Perhaps making a key out of wood, filing it to shape, and then getting it cut by a locksmith might be another way to solve the issue.

a twig

Post by a twig » Sat 7th Nov, 2020 11:24 pm

Just open up the lock and swap for new internals no? Cheaply available in many places

Me!

Post by Me! » Sun 8th Nov, 2020 8:02 am

There are lots of different mortice key blanks available on eBay.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sun 8th Nov, 2020 10:28 am

ElectronicFur wrote:
Sat 7th Nov, 2020 10:46 pm
Thanks that's good to know. It was actually my local Timpsons I asked, and he said no locksmith would sell blanks.
Perhaps it helped that I walked in with the lock in my hand - so it was obvious that I wasn't up to anything nefarious, wanting a blank key. The key was then roughly ground to size to simply fit through the hole in the lock casing, for me to finish off.

But as Me! says, online is definitely an option. It's not as if old mortice keys are exactly secure!

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Fri 13th Nov, 2020 10:48 am

ElectronicFur wrote:
Sat 7th Nov, 2020 10:46 pm
By coincidence I had to get some spare mortice lock keys cut today in Timpsons [ in Stall St, Bath ] and the guy there had never heard this, so either there is no such rule, or nobody told him. Hope you are now sorted for what you need.