Scottish castle restoration

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Dumsey

Scottish castle restoration

Post by Dumsey » Sun 22nd Nov, 2020 8:49 pm

Browsing on YouTube this evening I found a television programme about restoring a Scottish castle and it has made me wonder what the collective mind of PPUK thinks of their techniques. Early on they mention the castle is Grade A listed, so I presume they must have had to gain various permissions for the work and be in touch with Historic Scotland, or the local CO, or whoever oversees these things. I am not an experienced renovator by any means but having got to 23 minutes in I am a little surprised by their approach to fixing a wet floor in the kitchen - an external membrane and an internal concrete screed...
I would be fascinated to hear the thoughts of anyone who can bear to watch what happens to this majestic old building.

https://youtu.be/qHkNbAyFM3Y

a twig

Re: Scottish castle restoration

Post by a twig » Mon 23rd Nov, 2020 2:01 pm

Some interesting approaches on a lot of those Restoration Home series - watched it when it first aired.

I suspect re: external membrane and concrete floor - they had few other options given the situation, water etc. I for one can't think of a "heritage" solution for that which would bring that area up to habitation standards people expect these days. Presumable something original got put back over the concrete floor?

Dumsey

Post by Dumsey » Mon 23rd Nov, 2020 2:10 pm

Good point.
In a way they did. They copied the original floor tiles and had the same design laid on the concrete slab

eezageeza

Post by eezageeza » Tue 24th Nov, 2020 9:27 am

Was that a re-run of the castle discussed here ?

http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=14043

Dumsey

Post by Dumsey » Tue 24th Nov, 2020 10:12 am

Ah yes it is. Apologies for the double post. I didn’t realise the program was quite that old.

It’s still for sale if anyone has a spare £3.5m!

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Fri 27th Nov, 2020 9:27 pm

Interesting. Some of the ideas were mad - a spiral staircase that you could look up while sat on the loo? I was disappointed they didn't show that in the end, they must've changed their minds. Certainly didn't think it was entirely an ethical conservation approach - knocking down an unstable wall rather than underpinning, all that concrete in the basement, no lime in sight, and I wouldn't have painted the exterior! But certainly a grand result.