River paid a visit. Lots to fix. Some questions!

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Gothichome

Re: River paid a visit. Lots to fix. Some questions!

Post by Gothichome » Sat 29th Jan, 2022 2:18 pm

Hummm.. could the patched in flew just be the clean out for the ash dump of the upper fireplace, or at one time provided a source of fresh air to help with the chimney draw and a less smoky fire in the other fireplace?

Roger440

Post by Roger440 » Sat 29th Jan, 2022 7:57 pm

Who knows!

You can stand inside and see straight up the chimney. It slopes to one side to avoid the one upstairs, then goes straight up. You can see as far up as about 3-4 fit above upstairs floor level. All looks sund up there. You can clearly see where the load paths are.

Roger440

Post by Roger440 » Tue 8th Mar, 2022 7:08 pm

I have started my limestone tiles.

However, my basic plan, bearing in mind that we may get the occasional small flood, was not to use skirting boards but to install a 4 inch tall piece of limestone tile. Thus creating a swimming pool! Given we know that in the event of a flood we can keep water levels inside under 1 inch, this seemes a good idea to allow for quick clean up afterwards.

All good. However, what im not sure about is do i plaster first, then add the vertical tiles afterwards. My concern with this, is that the water will likely come in contact with the plaster, which will soak it up neccesitating remedial work.

Or do i, glue the tiles to the wall (im using the seciltek adhere) and plaster down to the tiles?

My concern with that is the adhesive is less permeable than plaster.

Or does it make no difference to any likely damp issues (ignore flooding) as the limestone is not partiicuarly permeable?

88v8

Post by 88v8 » Sun 27th Mar, 2022 10:00 am

Will the upstands not stick to the wall with NHL5 instead of adhesive?

Do admire your stoic attitude to future floods....

Ivor