What type of handrail to use

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

RBailey

Re: What type of handrail to use

Post by RBailey » Wed 5th May, 2021 2:33 pm

:lol: :lol: Your carpet story sounds very familiar to ours, SWMBO (another bad work :twisted:) hates carpets with a passion.
Luckily we actually found two rooms with decent tiles under the carpet. Sadly upstairs is a very different story.

For these stairs we did consider a stair runner but we opted for these pads as they are quite cheap, don't effect the depth of the step and this isn't our main stair. So far, about a year, we have been very happy with them.

If it wasn't for for my additional grip fill I suspect that they could quite easily be removed by cutting through / releasing the tape with fishing line and so could even be an interim choice if needed.

Cheers,
Richard B.

MissHousey

Re: What type of handrail to use

Post by MissHousey » Thu 27th May, 2021 6:09 pm

Hi!

First time post here but I noted your stairs being 'death traps' literally and wondered if you'd seen the BBC 4 series - Hidden Killers?

There's the episode I think on Victorian homes that covers the problem with these stair cases that were for the servants (I assume that this is what you have, if you also have a main set?) Hidden Killers, New Hidden Killers of the Victorian Home: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03l7nl8 via @bbciplayer

The stairs bit is 18mins in. Fascinating stuff! Definitely a need for a hand rail then!