Cut Floor Brads

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Abecedarian

Cut Floor Brads

Post by Abecedarian » Wed 12th May, 2021 9:13 pm

Hello,
I've gathered all the bits I need for an under floor insulation job. Except the nails!

I'm really struggling to find the appropriate fixings, I need about 1000 cut floor brads, 75mm. There seem to be loads of 65mm about but I only want to do this once so want to get it right first time. The boards are 25mm and currently secured using 75mm nails. Would 65s be ok?
All advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul,.

Dumsey

Re: Cut Floor Brads

Post by Dumsey » Wed 12th May, 2021 9:18 pm

Something like these? Not sure how many you get in a kilo these days...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264721014348 ... SwH79c2V3v

Or these
https://www.heritage-store.co.uk/tradit ... -size-75mm

Abecedarian

Post by Abecedarian » Wed 12th May, 2021 10:21 pm

I've come across both of these already, the heads on the ebay ones don't look good, and the others are very, very expensive. I'm looking at £200 ish for my 4.5 x 4.5m dining room floor. For nails!
Cheers,
Paul.

a twig

Post by a twig » Wed 12th May, 2021 10:59 pm

General rule of thumb is 3 times thickness of material you are nailing down.
You are falling a bit short but there’s always plenty of margin in rules of thumb so I reckon you’d get away with 65mm.

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Thu 13th May, 2021 8:49 am

Cut clasps really are a good nail for the job.

I bought some off fleabay recently (can't remember the length) but they were defiantly of mixed "quality".
I just accepted the "quality" as part of the deal when buying by the kilo.

These days I think they are made by a high speed rotary machine punch from a long strip of sheet stock and if the blank stock doesn't advance enough you get a part cut / odd shaped nail, or if it is close to the end you can get a twisted nail.

The twisted/bent ones I flattened and the odd ones with smaller heads I found useful for some of the board ends to reduce slitting.
Some of the boards were very close to the edge of joists (not my cuts) so I worried about splitting so I also pilot drilled some of the boards.

They also had quite a bit of surface rust but a shake in a bucket with a good spray of WD40 helped and I also feel that a bit of texture from rust helps the nail bite.

Cheers,
Richard B.

Me!

Post by Me! » Thu 13th May, 2021 9:48 am

Abecedarian wrote:
Wed 12th May, 2021 10:21 pm
the heads on the ebay ones don't look good,
I did a floor with some like that because they were all I could get at the time. I ground the top of each one flat with a bench grinder before using them. It only took a couple of seconds per nail, and the end result then looks just like the traditional old version once in place.

stuart45

Post by stuart45 » Thu 13th May, 2021 3:46 pm

My wife made me bankrupt myself to use Rose head nails when I put down our floors.