Pep talk needed

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Old School

Re: Pep talk needed

Post by Old School » Mon 14th Jun, 2021 1:49 pm

Hi Daisy Daisy,

Nothing practical to add but I would be very interested to learn about the alu window system you are looking at particularly if you have mullion windows, from a fellow old school owner. Hoping your garden is easier to work in than ours, despite taking up tons of tarmac the 'soil' underneath is like breaking rocks every time I want to plant anything, I have to get my husband to dig the hole and then I have to sieve it all to get the stones out and then lug in tons of top soil! I should also say we are eight years into our renovation but that's probably not very helpful!

all the best
Claire

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Tue 15th Jun, 2021 2:37 pm

DaisyDaisy wrote:
Mon 14th Jun, 2021 8:07 am
I like a list - particularly in retrospect, all those things crossed off! The trick for me is not to have one stretching too far ahead. A planning list/master list is there but a bit too scary to have to hand all the time…. I like job lists broken down in to little steps…… lots to cross off. We keep an A4 page a day diary as a mix of a planning aid and record of works done, as things progress we’ve added in more thoughts and perspectives too.
Yes, I agree. That's what I meant with my earlier post (below). If the list is too long it's depressing, but if it's for a day, or two days, or possibly the week, then you have a real chance of doing it all, which is so satisfying.
MatthewC wrote:
Sun 6th Jun, 2021 9:15 pm
As regards doing things when you flag, I found that a decent list of the next few things to be done was helpful. It stops you allowing weeks to slide past when you manage just one thing but could have done three or four.
Keep going!
Matthew

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Wed 16th Jun, 2021 8:00 am

DaisyDaisy wrote:

As for the two types of people, ‘finishers’ and ‘rolling renovators’, well perhaps there’s a third category, I’d put myself in to the ‘finished enough’ category, that is to be finished enough to be able to have a few more choices about what to sort out next. At the moment our building is dictating, once that phase is over the pace can change and we can mix in more of life alongside the renovation. There will never be a big reveal as you see on television but there will be a series of finishes and reveals along the way. It’ll be a good day when we get our stuff out of storage……..

Another point about being a rolling renovator is when to decide that something is "good enough". A complete bodge that lasts a year, or a perfectionist approach that never gets finished? I tend to be a pragmatist - if a job really is worth doing at all then it's worth even doing badly.
I once knew someone who spent 20 years building his dream bungalow. Then his wife got so tired of never having a home that she left him and the nearly-finished house was sold.

Our house was big enough to store stuff in rooms not due for attention for years: we just lived in the rest of the house. I kept all the 60 tea chests used in the move and stacked them on their sides in the barn, like a giant pigeon-hole system.

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Wed 16th Jun, 2021 8:02 am

CliffordPope wrote:
Wed 16th Jun, 2021 8:00 am
DaisyDaisy wrote:

As for the two types of people, ‘finishers’ and ‘rolling renovators’, well perhaps there’s a third category, I’d put myself in to the ‘finished enough’ category, that is to be finished enough to be able to have a few more choices about what to sort out next. At the moment our building is dictating, once that phase is over the pace can change and we can mix in more of life alongside the renovation. There will never be a big reveal as you see on television but there will be a series of finishes and reveals along the way. It’ll be a good day when we get our stuff out of storage……..

Another point about being a rolling renovator is when to decide that something is "good enough". A complete bodge that lasts a year, or a perfectionist approach that never gets finished? I tend to be a pragmatist - if a job really is worth doing at all then it's worth even doing badly.
I once knew someone who spent 20 years building his dream bungalow. Then his wife got so tired of living in a cramped caravan and never having a home that she left him and the nearly-finished house was sold.

Our house was big enough to store stuff in rooms not due for attention for years: we just lived in the rest of the house. I kept all the 60 tea chests used in the move and stacked them on their sides in the barn, like a giant pigeon-hole system.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Thu 17th Jun, 2021 1:06 am

rompted by replies on here we’ve sat down and looked back through this record, matched it up with photos on the iPad. Absolutely amazed at what we’ve actually done- what a boost. The garden is taking shape too - good advice there, we’d pretty much done that by default almost not ‘counting’ that as work, but we’ve planted trees and taken up areas of playground (it’s an old school). All adds to a feeling of progress, loving the validation from PP people. Thank you

Daisy, that’s #2 on my list, see it works.

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Sat 19th Jun, 2021 3:17 pm

CliffordPope wrote:
Wed 16th Jun, 2021 8:00 am
I tend to be a pragmatist - if a job really is worth doing at all then it's worth even doing badly.
Sorry, I have to disagree with you Clifford. On an old building, there is little point in bodging a job if it needs doing. It depends on the building quality and age, but somewhere between perfection and a bodge, there is a standard called "acceptable for my lifetime and beyond" which is good enough for me. For my house that's (say) 30-50 years, but for the Grade 1 listed church I work on, it's more like 100-200 years (and in some cases possibly more).

If it doesn't meet that standard then it's only temporary!

Matthew