A Pembrokeshire Farmhouse (BBC)

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

MatthewC

A Pembrokeshire Farmhouse (BBC)

Post by MatthewC » Wed 9th Jun, 2021 9:31 am

There is a current re-run on Monday evenings on BBC4 of Griff Rhys-Jones "A Pembrokeshire Farmhouse" restoration, now available on iPlayer.

It was mentioned in 2009 on viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10711&p=130441 but I didn't see it then, not being into old buildings until 2010! I found Ep 5 the most informative re lime plaster/render/hot lime etc, but it's really very good and worth watching, although to his cost Griff didn't believe what he was told about oak boards on a limecrete floor (which I think he called "cement" at one stage).

The only thing where I disagreed with the architect and builder was the laying of external stone flags right up to the wall; that can cause splashback onto the base of the wall and hence deterioration of the bottom foot or so of lime render. I wonder how that has fared in 12 years? On my house I made sure I have earth or (better) gravel in the six inches beside the wall.

Coincidentally, we have just returned from a week with the family in a converted barn near Fishguard, not too far from Griff's place.

Matthew

RBailey

Re: A Pembrokeshire Farmhouse (BBC)

Post by RBailey » Thu 10th Jun, 2021 7:53 am

Thanks Mathew, just binge watched series 1 on iPlayer last night.
It was a good series, better than a lot of the TV "restoration" shows.

Cheers,
Richard B.

george2019

Post by george2019 » Thu 10th Jun, 2021 12:33 pm

I particularly liked it when he came back after 5 months and not much had changed.

Bogart

Post by Bogart » Thu 10th Jun, 2021 1:08 pm

I would suggest that the more width any gravel bed has the better it is.