Another Limecrete Floor

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

MatthewC

Another Limecrete Floor

Post by MatthewC » Sun 27th Jun, 2021 4:22 pm

Having often mentioned the limecrete floor (with imported black limestone flags) I laid in my kitchen 10 years ago, I am now (or as the other half says, "at last") embarking on doing another limecrete floor in the hallway. The hall is interesting - you enter a rectangle through the front door and then turn sharp right to go through an arch which once once an external wall and so it's 16" deep; then there's a second hall with the lounge to the right, the kitchen to the left and the stairs ahead. The kitchen doorway is also through an old thick 16" wall.

The hall is about 7 sq m altogether, and has inch-thick quarries which are 6" square (approximately!!), red and black. Some of the black are genuine black (Staffordshire blue?) but others have red showing through the black. Many of the tiles are showing signs of surface deterioration and a mat on the floor often shows dampness underneath. Possibly half of the tiles could be re-used if I was pushed. My plan is to lay a limecrete floor using recycled foamed glass (an improvement on the loose LECA I used last time).

The questions I have are (1) what I should lay on the surface and (2) what to do about grouting (if anything). I'd like to replicate what I have and so have had some samples of new breathable tiles which either tend to be thinner than I'd like (which would be half inch minimum), or else are just not right, usually because the surface is rough. Equally, buying reclaimed tiles would be my preference but the Staffordshire blues seem to be very rare and red quarries are often sold by chancers who ask silly prices, cannot be bothered to specify the dimensions properly and do not remove the old grouting (usually cement).

Does anyone know of a supplier of decent red and black 6" quarries, new or recycled?
Last edited by MatthewC on Sun 4th Jul, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

88v8

Re: Another Limecrete Floor

Post by 88v8 » Sun 4th Jul, 2021 10:27 am

So allowing for cutting you need about 9 yards... that's c325 tiles of which you have half... 170 to find....

We used red & black 6" in our sitting room, also ten years ago, I got about 3/4 ton from a seller ten miles away (carried in my half ton Land Rover sitting on its bump stops) and they did that room and some odd bits since, finishing about a year ago.
The last knockings were a bit patchy as regards the blacking, as you say some red peeping through.
The thicknesses were around an inch, not uniform.
They had grout on, plaster and cement and oil paint on the surfaces, took a lot of cleaning up.

These https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224519307623 ... Sw7a9g32nv look pretty clean but some have cement grout on and the surface is rough. And at £180 for ninety tiles ....

Here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313586172702 ... SwjO5gwLbJ much the same story but enough to do your whole job, 157 blacks and 69 reds. Starting bid £290, no bids.

And here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154500001736 ... SwKQZgzy5h one hundred for £280 caramba.

Pick of the bunch... these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224480765688 ... SwRG1gtPNC which are old but new... never laid... 76 red, 61 black, even at £350 I would be all over them... Shiply.

Or buy all those I've flagged, sift them and sell the surplus.

Failing that, I would look on eBay or in local yards. No idea about new ones, sorry.

In our C17 cottage the roughness is not a problem. We don't wax or oil or anything, but they wouldn't pass muster in the hall of a Victorian house.
We laid them with a decent gap and grouted with an NHL mix, rubbed off with sacking as I went along. I wanted maximum breathability, and they breathe best through the joints.

Ivor

MatthewC

Re: Another Limecrete Floor

Post by MatthewC » Sun 4th Jul, 2021 5:12 pm

Thanks Ivor, that's helpful. I have a permanent search on eBay for them, but hadn't seen some of your links.

For grouting and adhesive, I have been thinking of stuff sold by Mike Wye (and others?) called "Adhere Cal" by Secil, which is basically a special mix of NHL, I think.

Matthew