Windows

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

DaisyDaisy

Windows

Post by DaisyDaisy » Mon 5th Jul, 2021 11:18 am

Phew! 10 months on from the job hitting the top of the list - we have windows.

Unsympathetic casements removed: November
Mullions replaced: November
Winter with Perspex
New metal framed windows fitted: June

Delighted. Stonemasons were brilliant. The window company were spot on, easy to deal with and the windows are fantastic.

First try at adding photos, so it should show a before and after 🤞🏼

DaisyDaisy

Re: Windows

Post by DaisyDaisy » Mon 5th Jul, 2021 11:21 am

Sorry, images not showing. No idea how to fix this. I’ve put them on photo box and added the codes to the post. You’ll just have to take my word for it…. The windows look great.

Daisy

Craig89

Post by Craig89 » Mon 5th Jul, 2021 11:56 am

Hello daisy, you have probably selected the wrong code, there's normally 5 or 6 to pick from, I can never remember the correct one so I add them all and then "preview" the post before posting and then delete all the ones that don't work, leaving the working links.

Hope this helps as I would like to see the windows.

Craig

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Mon 5th Jul, 2021 12:12 pm

Its normally one of the BBC / BBCode ones.
I remember it because it as Bulletin Board Code.

Cheers,
Richard B.

DaisyDaisy

Post by DaisyDaisy » Mon 5th Jul, 2021 3:13 pm

Thanks, I took another look: I’ve used photobucket, not photo box, and they want a fee for the codes. I’ll sort some thing with another host and post later or tomorrow.

Daisy

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Mon 5th Jul, 2021 5:55 pm

This one works OK for me with the forum:-

https://imgbb.com/

I'm definitely interested, plus who your window company was. Could be a possible for me for 1 part of my house.

DaisyDaisy

Post by DaisyDaisy » Mon 5th Jul, 2021 10:22 pm

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Ok, think I’ve done it! The photos show the journey from when we bought the place …. The poor old building had not been shown much love over the years. The mullions had been removed and very ordinary frames fitted. You can see the new mullions, the somewhat alarming plastic sheet stage over one weekend, then the Perspex temporary windows we’ve had since November and now our lovely new windows. Thrilled. We cleaned and stripped the stonework ourselves - the internal stone work had many layers of paint- an almost overwhelming job to do, but as the stone,as on said, ‘you won’t regret doing it, but you will regret not doing it’. He was right we are really happy with how the stone has come up.

The stone work was done by McMillan Masonry, Leebotwood, Church Stretton. They were fantastic - took incredible care with what was for them a small job. They are true craftsmen and a pleasure to have on site.

The windows were made by Mettherm Windows from Liss. They were again just great to deal with. We particularly appreciated the time they took at the site visit to explain all the choices and the impact that each choice should have on our overall aim of wanting very fine frames. They were good at keeping in touch, came when they said and the windows have exceeded our expectations. We took a long time deciding on the colour - they are powder coated. We’ve gone for a soft brown which looks lovely with the stone, interior frame and handles the same colour. Huge choice of the RAL colours, the company also used colour matched silicone when fitting.

A couple of original windows remained and we took them as our model: the new windows mirror them beautifully… conservation officer happy too.

The photos also shows how we are doing with the pointing - slow and steady. The colour not as stark in life as it appears in the final photo.

Quite something to have a finished job!

Daisy

DaisyDaisy

Post by DaisyDaisy » Mon 5th Jul, 2021 10:32 pm

Image Image

Image Image

I’ve got the hang of this now… here are a couple more shots. The final photo shows one of the remaining old school windows and the one we used as a model for the replacements. They had incredibly thin single glass, but the new double glazed are fabulous- clearly it’s July so not truly tested, yet!

Daisy

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Tue 6th Jul, 2021 6:59 am

Great job!

Unbelievable that someone would smash out the original mullions to put in cheap softwood windows :roll: Your CO must love you, I presume that was done before it was listed so you were not obliged to reinstate.

Windows all the way from Liss - that's a fair trek, I'm surprised they came out as far as you. Puts them on a list of potentials for me, thank you - nothing beats a good referral on product & service.

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Tue 6th Jul, 2021 8:15 am

Lovely job, well done.

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Thu 8th Jul, 2021 9:03 pm

I too can't believe someone would smash out the mullions, putting them back has transformed the windows, bravo! The original frames are interesting too, I have't seen anything like them before, I assume they are metal? The new ones look excellent!

DaisyDaisy

Post by DaisyDaisy » Fri 9th Jul, 2021 7:58 am

Hi, yes, the old ‘frames’ were metal… not quite bars, more like a folded strip shaped rather like an aeroplane wing in profile. They were set directly into the stone across the opening with the glass (unbelievably thin glass) also set directly in to a channel cut into the stone. Our main concern when looking for replacements was to find as thin a frame as possible as the window openings themselves are quite narrow.

Can’t recommend our masons and window company highly enough.

Daisy

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Fri 9th Jul, 2021 8:59 am

DaisyDaisy wrote:
Fri 9th Jul, 2021 7:58 am
(unbelievably thin glass)
I've come across that stuff - it's even thinner than picture glass, worryingly flexible, and probably unobtainable and illegal now anyway.

a twig

Post by a twig » Sat 10th Jul, 2021 12:17 am

Fantastic bit of work and lovely results - well done!

88v8

Post by 88v8 » Sun 11th Jul, 2021 11:03 am

Excellent to have the vision and persistence to do that job.
What a transformation.

Ivor