Materials prices!

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

a twig

Materials prices!

Post by a twig » Sat 17th Jul, 2021 8:53 am

Surely this is just becoming profiteering now? £70 for a pack of 2x1 roofing battens that used to be £40? £80 for a 8x4 sheet of marine ply?

Materials are now costing more than labour - this construction boom will be killed stone dead if this carries on!

I’m starting to put off projects now as they become unaffordable - anyone else?

pip&mims

Re: Materials prices!

Post by pip&mims » Sat 17th Jul, 2021 2:01 pm

We were about to build a frame for a small (12 sq m) area of decking and found that prices for treated timber had gone through the roof and that was where the suppliers actually had any stock :shock:

As we're in no mad rush we've put it on hold for now, although we'll still go ahead with purchasing the composite boards (from Millboard, which are £££ anyway). It's more that we have other, more pressing projects to contend with right now.... such as building an extension :roll:

Many of the materials for that (blocks, insulation etc) were purchased last year before the price hikes, but we'll still have to get the timber, roofing materials and windows.

I know that the oak sleepers we bought for another of our garden projects in the spring have almost doubled in price since we got them!

Pip has a small building/renovations/project management business these days and is snowed under with work. People are still prepared to pay the price....it's just the shortages that can be problematic....

Mims x

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sat 17th Jul, 2021 3:04 pm

a twig wrote:
Sat 17th Jul, 2021 8:53 am
Surely this is just becoming profiteering now?
Not necessarily. I work in a high volume, low margin, labour intensive industry that is actually a key supplier to the NHS, amongst many others. We have a lot of low skilled, minimum wage roles and the reality is we have had for many years a very high proportion of non-British workers filling those roles - as well as other more skilled roles, such as HGV drivers.

I don't want to start a Brexit debate - it's happened, like it or not - but the reality is that Brexit, combined with lack of work during Covid, made a lot of those foreign workers return to their home countries. They are now not coming back, we have feedback that many are going to EU countries where the work permissions are not a problem.

We're having to offer higher salaries inside the M25 to HGV drivers - 60% higher than a year ago - and we still can't get enough. That's one small example. You can very easily argue that it is deserved and is the right thing to do for a better society, but it will also inevitably cause price rises.

There are other factors at play as well, but certainly at the lower end of the job market there is a chronic lack of people in many areas to fill roles. We have a factory down in Newton Abbot in Devon that desperately needs to be running at 100% right now, it's managing about 60% as there are just no staff available.

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Sun 18th Jul, 2021 3:49 pm

If new stuff is getting ever more expensive, then hopefully people will think twice before destroying old stuff and perhaps re-use more.

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Sun 18th Jul, 2021 5:27 pm

It's not just materials. An electrician quoted me more than 4 times the normal price. People must be building home offices like mad.

It's a pain. Will patch up the utility room roof this year and do the rebuild when materials get cheaper.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Mon 19th Jul, 2021 2:23 pm

malcolm wrote:
Sun 18th Jul, 2021 5:27 pm
An electrician quoted me more than 4 times the normal price.
Not that is blatant profiteering!

Hopefully it'll come back round and bite him when things return to normal.

pip&mims

Post by pip&mims » Mon 19th Jul, 2021 5:37 pm

malcolm wrote:
It's not just materials. An electrician quoted me more than 4 times the normal price. People must be building home offices like mad.

Gosh, that's ridiculous! They wouldn't get any work here in Wales, lol!

Pip quoted - a very low - date rate for some building work/plumbing recently and the customer was astounded that the price was so low. Her husband had to point out that the price quoted was per bloke (Pip has a partner who's a plumber/heating engineer), not for the two of them 😮 Nonetheless, it's about a third of what he'd be charging were we still back in England!

Another - long-term - client told Pip he was used to paying his trades people less than half the price Pip was charging....and this guy's a multi-millionaire (no wonder!!!).

Mims x

d49xc

Post by d49xc » Fri 23rd Jul, 2021 10:03 pm

Contractor I know doing fencing and gardening/landscaping work say his quotes are now only valid for 7 days.
After that time, at the rate things are changing, the prices for timber will have gone up (again).

Jewsons have been posting monthly price increases - like every month at the moment.

Goodness knows how builders quoting for a significant job to be done in a few months time are managing.
Almost back to the days of think of a number and double it.
..and that before the simple unavailability of lots of materials: at any price.

fernicarry

Post by fernicarry » Mon 26th Jul, 2021 3:08 pm

malcolm wrote:
An electrician quoted me more than 4 times the normal price.
New statutory rules came into force for the private rented sector in April requiring a 'satisfactory' electrical inspection report.

Definition of satisfactory being a lot down to the discretion of the electrician so naturally practically everything got failed and they could name their price to bring up to standard creating a nice glut of work.